Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Baja
What happened to this motor? >

What happened to this motor?

Notices

What happened to this motor?

Old 06-05-2006, 11:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What happened to this motor?

I posted something like this in the general forum.

Baja 342 with 502s. I am cruising along about 4200RPMs and about 62 miles on hour. Suddenly I look down and the STBD engine RPMs are around 3000, water temp is almost pegged at 240 and oil pressure is down to 20 psi. I pulled back the throttles and turned the key off on the stbd engine. Not sure if I killed it with the key or if it stalled. I opened the hatch and it looked like it was blowing smoke out of the air filter. Plus there was a nasty burnt oil smell ( smells sort of like gear oil ). I pulled the dipstick and the oil looks fine and the level is good. Other than the smell the oil seemed good. I let it cool down and started it up for just a second. It sounds like a bearing spun.

My guess is that the oil pump went and took out a bearing. Would this cause the smoke coming back through the breather? Or did it maybe eat a valve or cam lobe? Any ideas would help. I am debating on a new long block or maybe just bearings and an oil pump. Problem is that I don't have the motor out yet so I am unsure of what happened. If I get a long block, I will rebuild the old one and use it to replace the port motor this winter.

It sucks, I just bought this thing and it is broken already. Only 250 hours on the motor too. Everything looks brand new. I am guessing that this problem stems from the low usage of the boat.
Old 06-05-2006, 12:14 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 224 Likes on 129 Posts
Default Re: What happened to this motor?

I'm betting the root cause was that
you lost a sea water pump impeller.

Overheating can cause all kinds of carnage.

I doubt the oil pump was at fault.
Old 06-05-2006, 12:17 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds like you lost an impellor and overheated. If you spun a bearing, it wouldnt make your water temp shoot up.

Is it knocking now?
Old 06-05-2006, 12:18 PM
Registered

jt we must have been typing at the same time
Old 06-05-2006, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by BajaRunner
sounds like you lost an impellor and overheated. If you spun a bearing, it wouldnt make your water temp shoot up.

Is it knocking now?
Yes, when I started it up it sounded like something inside was rattling/knocking. Could it be something other than a bearing? Should I take the belt off to take the seawater pump out of the picture and see if it still knocks? Would be nice if the cure didn't involve pulling the motor.

Would the seawater pump getting chewed up cause that noise? Also the Oil pressure did drop but didn't go to 0. I think it was about 20psi. Also what would cause the smoke coming out of the air cleaner?

Last edited by duksrule; 06-05-2006 at 12:29 PM.
Old 06-05-2006, 12:29 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by duksrule
Yes, when I started it up it sounded like something inside was rattling/knocking. Could it be something other than a bearing? Should I take the belt off to take the seawater pump out of the picture and see if it still knocks? Would be nice if the cure didn't involve pulling the motor.

Would the seawater pump getting chewed up cause that noise? Also the Oil pressure did drop but didn't go to 0. I think it was about 20psi.
Your seawater pump would not cause the knocking. Its what caused your problem. If its knocking, it needs to come out to see whats wrong.

Have you tried starting it since it cooled? I would try that first. might have got the oil super thin and heard something.
Old 06-05-2006, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by BajaRunner
Your seawater pump would not cause the knocking. Its what caused your problem. If its knocking, it needs to come out to see whats wrong.

Have you tried starting it since it cooled? I would try that first. might have got the oil super thin and heard something.
I let it cool and heard the noise when I started it. Should I change the oil and start it again? Maybe it burnt the oil?
Old 06-05-2006, 12:33 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by duksrule
I let it cool and heard the noise when I started it. Should I change the oil and start it again? Maybe it burnt the oil?
nah, if its still knocking after cooling off you need to pull it and find your problem..
Old 06-05-2006, 12:37 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 224 Likes on 129 Posts

If it still has a noise after it's cooled down,
you better get it out and take a look.

And since the starboard engine is out.
that gives you great access to the port
sea water pump........CHANGE THAT IMPELLER.
Old 06-05-2006, 12:44 PM

What sucks is that the guy I bought the boat from just had them replaces about 5 hours ago. Wonder if they messed up the install. Anyway, I guess I should stop looking for a simple answer and get the motor pulled out. Is this about all there is to pulling it?

-Pull the outdrive
-Disconnect the exhaust and wiring
-2 bolts at mid engine mounts and 2 on the back of the motor?

Quick Reply: What happened to this motor?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.