Notices

500EFI's vs 496 HO

Old 10-21-2006, 06:28 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 500EFI's vs 496 HO

Originally Posted by Rippem
as far as the 500EFI's being free of issues tell me how many are making 350-400 hours without at least top-end rebuilds.
I know four engines in two different boats that have made 500 hours. One just got reworked with more HP, and the other is still running strong.

Knowing what I know now, I would have easily made 500 hours.
Old 10-21-2006, 07:25 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Dock Holiday
Unless you abuse it, don't service it, or just get unlucky it will last a lot longer then 300 hours.
ok then lets get back to the original concern...buying used and used values. How do you know how they've been treated and maintained? Without the sophisticated electronics

I'm glad to hear you and the couple people you've mentioned have had good luck, and the Merc propaganda that supports a VERY profitable "blue" program for both Merc and the boat builders they are in bed with has had it's desired effect.

I'm not being a dik to you Dock, I'm just trying to contribute to everyone seeing the big picture, as you are, when asked about values. Cruise the boats for sale and get some stats together of how many have been opened and at what hours. 90% of owners aren't opening them up because they "want to", but rather because they "have to"...

How's your oil consumption?

Did you know that Merc use to build the engine for GM that went into the Corvette?
Yes, Mercury in Stillwater assembled the Lotus designed LT-5 engine of the ZR-1

This assembly program was overseen with a microscope beyond any marine motor to that date.
Old 10-21-2006, 07:49 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

ok then lets get back to the original concern...buying used and used values. How do you know how they've been treated and maintained? Without the sophisticated electronics
I have a Merc scan tool, and also the computer software for my laptop. You can confirm the hours of operation and see at what RPM levels the engine was run at and for how long. Then with a compression test and a leak down test you can buy with confidence. Personally I know more people that are overkill on maintenance then not. There are a lot of used boats out there that I would trust just as much as my own.

I'm glad to hear you and the couple people you've mentioned have had good luck, and the Merc propaganda that supports a VERY profitable "blue" program for both Merc and the boat builders they are in bed with has had it's desired effect.
There are a lot of 500's with many more hours then people want to believe. The 500 EFI is propably the most proven engine in the performance boat world with Merc's association with the APBA factory class boats. I would love to know how may hours have been logged racing at WOT.

I'm not being a dik to you Dock,
I know that, and never took it any other way. There have been a LOT of people however brain washed by Baja dealers that only order black engines for their inventory and they try to scare the hell out of the buyer in order to sell what they have.

Cruise the boats for sale and get some stats together of how many have been opened and at what hours. 90% of owners aren't opening them up because they "want to", but rather because they "have to"...
There are bad engines in all sizes and all colors. Anything mechanical can and will break. John down in Flordia as I mentioned lost a new 496HO. It was a defective crank I'm sure. But hey, that is a black motor.

How's your oil consumption?
I have NEVER used any oil. Not during the first 300 hours stock, or after the rebuild. It is very rare that I add any oil between the 20 hour interval I change the oil and filter. I carry a lot of oil (8 quarts & Filter) on the boat at all times, but usually I'm handing it out to buddies that don't carry any extra and need it.

By the way my 500's dynoed at 580 HP at 5300 RPM with "ALL" the accessories on the engines.

I do have a concern with oil temps since we pumped them up. Most here on OSO say they would like to have my temps, but they are 20 to 30 degrees hotting then stock and I plan to add some new coolers this winter.

Thanks for your input.
Old 10-21-2006, 07:53 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As far as oil consumption goes, the 502 in all forms from Mercruiser comes with low tension rings. Those low tension rings promote, for lack of a better term, oil consumption. They also promote longevity.
Old 10-21-2006, 07:57 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Originally Posted by JasonSmith
As far as oil consumption goes, the 502 in all forms from Mercruiser comes with low tension rings. Those low tension rings promote, for lack of a better term, oil consumption. They also promote longevity.

You are so right. I miss the 502 Mag, that was also a very good engine.

The one I had in our 272 burned a quart of oil for every tank of fuel.

I found that it you ran straight 40 weight oil nad never ran above 3000 RPM until the engine really warmed up good that it did not use as much.
Old 10-21-2006, 08:00 PM
Registered

There have been a LOT of people however brain washed by Baja dealers that only order black engines for their inventory and they try to scare the hell out of the buyer in order to sell what they have.

and we both know that is not only about selling what you have, it's about selling what you have (that's black) that was ordered with the intention of "price point marketing"...

I stand corrected in that the 500 has the electronics that "tell the whole tale" of operating parameters.

Last edited by Rippem; 10-21-2006 at 08:05 PM.
Old 10-21-2006, 08:40 PM
Registered

good read guys thanks
Old 10-22-2006, 12:09 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I have had both.
500efi's in my 33 and now HO's in my 36 . If you can find one with 500's buy it even if it costs a little more. The difference in mid range alone makes it worth it. I love my boat and the HO's work fine but no one can argue that they are better than the blue motors. Forged crank, rods,pistons, etc. Just better internals. I know Raylar can make decent HP with HO's but to really build them you have to change internals. Not with blue motors.
Oh, numbers are right on for a HO 36 Outlaw...68 to 69 mph.
Boat eats up rough water. Looks awesome too. You will be happy either way but if you can find a 500 boat buy it.
Fastboats has a leftover 05' with 500's that I am sure you can buy right.
Old 10-22-2006, 12:59 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I Have A 1999 36 With Upgrated 500's Ready To Go 82,500...
(I DIDN'T LIKE THE BLUE)
Attached Thumbnails 500EFI's vs 496 HO-attachment3fc607b2.jpg  
Old 10-22-2006, 05:08 PM
Registered

I never said HO's were "better"

I am well aware of the parts in them.

496's are proven workhorses that's all, with excellent longevity.

and what is better when 90% of running hours are between 2500 and 4000 RPM...

In looking at used values and what can be bought for what, what's "better" 500's or $20-30,000 in my pocket? That'll buy alot of fuel!
there is also 20-30% to be saved on insurance with black in most hulls, either because of HP rating or top speed depending on the carrier.
I did alot of research!

there is no universal answer of course, I made my choice and am very happy.

Quick Reply: 500EFI's vs 496 HO

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.