New 26 Outlaw with a 525 or a 600?? >

New 26 Outlaw with a 525 or a 600??

Notices

New 26 Outlaw with a 525 or a 600??

Old 11-23-2006, 12:02 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: New 26 Outlaw with a 525 or a 600??

Originally Posted by haulinvols
Hmm, I bet I can guess the boat. http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/8/3/1546083.htm

I am a huge Pantera fan. It is one of the best built, best rigged 28 footers out there. It will take a lot of nasty water and hold up better than most. There really is no substitue for length, if it were me and money was not a concern, I would take a 28 Pantera over the 26 Baja. Just my .02

That being said, I also like length and if you have enough water (and money) to justify going 80 then you have enough water to justify doing 80 in a 30 footer and I would have a hard time turning down a decent deal on a good used 30 with HO motors. I also like to travel with my boat and although my 245 is plenty for the river and local lakes here, I do get my ass kicked at larger Poker runs which is where I really wish I had more boat for better comfort.
Beware of that Pantera.

It is a piece of junk.

Based on that boat in the link I would have to disagree with you Matt regarding Pantera. I know that they have in the past built a real good boat. I know they can build a good boat. But the guy that dropped big change for that 28 did NOT get a good boat, nor did he get good service.

The engine has already been rebuilt once and the last time I saw the boat at Westport Marina on Lake Norman the gel coat was coming off where they handled it with the fork lift at the dry storage. If this boat had been a car it would have been bought back under the lemon law.

I would run as far from Pantera as possible unless you know all the history of a used one and have known the boat a while.
Old 11-23-2006, 12:04 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

P.S.

The engine problems on the above boat were caused by Pantera and not KE.

The real Keith Eickert is doing well and building some killer engines.
Old 11-23-2006, 12:32 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

haulinvols - yep- that's the one.

Dock Holiday- That boat is far from a piece of junk. I have spoken in length with the original owner, who is a real stand up guy. Very straight forward. Very honest. He had reasons for trading up. One of which was having a stronger need for speed. He traded up to a 120mph 32' spectre. I've spoken with Jo at Pantera, seen and driven the boat myself. There are no issues with that engine. it's got 29.5 hours and runs beautifully.

Anyway, no big deal. everyone has their opinions. I like the Pantera and have always liked the outlaws. Baja's mark up on the blue motors is way too high. I'm not getting decent pricing on the new 26 with a 525 or a 600 yet, so we'll see.

I'm getting hungry. Everyone- Happy Turkey Day.
Old 11-23-2006, 01:01 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Originally Posted by socalstone
haulinvols - yep- that's the one.

Dock Holiday- That boat is far from a piece of junk. I have spoken in length with the original owner, who is a real stand up guy. Very straight forward. Very honest. He had reasons for trading up. One of which was having a stronger need for speed. He traded up to a 120mph 32' spectre. I've spoken with Jo at Pantera, seen and driven the boat myself. There are no issues with that engine. it's got 29.5 hours and runs beautifully.

Anyway, no big deal. everyone has their opinions. I like the Pantera and have always liked the outlaws. Baja's mark up on the blue motors is way too high. I'm not getting decent pricing on the new 26 with a 525 or a 600 yet, so we'll see.

I'm getting hungry. Everyone- Happy Turkey Day.

If you're happy then I'm happy.

Personally I would not let a friend buy that boat that did not know the whole story.

My choice of words "Piece of Junk" is out of line. I stand corrected there.

And YES, Mike is a stand up guy. I agree 100%. We have know him several years now.

The boat had a ton of issues that I was made aware of first hand. The engine also had to be totally rebuilt with about 10 hours on it. Yes Mike did buy a really sharp Spectre that is already for sale for an even faster boat.

I just remember all the bad press on OSO over the long delivery time (over 1 year) the blown engine and the other issues. If was a VERY long and heated thread. Just hard for me to move past all of that knowing first hand what Mike went through.

Glad they got all those issues resolved.

Best of luck with your boat shopping. Keep us posted.

Last edited by Dock Holiday; 11-23-2006 at 02:56 PM.
Old 11-25-2006, 08:18 AM
www.Bajaboatowners.com
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Dock Holiday
If you're happy then I'm happy.

Personally I would not let a friend buy that boat that did not know the whole story.

My choice of words "Piece of Junk" is out of line. I stand corrected there.

And YES, Mike is a stand up guy. I agree 100%. We have know him several years now.

The boat had a ton of issues that I was made aware of first hand. The engine also had to be totally rebuilt with about 10 hours on it. Yes Mike did buy a really sharp Spectre that is already for sale for an even faster boat.

I just remember all the bad press on OSO over the long delivery time (over 1 year) the blown engine and the other issues. If was a VERY long and heated thread. Just hard for me to move past all of that knowing first hand what Mike went through.

Glad they got all those issues resolved.

Best of luck with your boat shopping. Keep us posted.
Beware of that Pantera.
I hear ya Dock,

I guess I should have stipulated my taste for Pantera boats in general, not necessarily that particular boat that is for sale. Pantera has had their problems in the last few years and it is disheartening since they really do build a heck of a boat in the 28 foot range. I was just saying in my post that if it were between a 26 Outlaw with blue power for over $100 grand and a nice used 28 foot Pantera with blue power, I would have a hard time turning down the larger boat, especially if he wants to stay with a single engine.
Old 11-26-2006, 08:26 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Originally Posted by haulinvols
I hear ya Dock,

I guess I should have stipulated my taste for Pantera boats in general, not necessarily that particular boat that is for sale. Pantera has had their problems in the last few years and it is disheartening since they really do build a heck of a boat in the 28 foot range. I was just saying in my post that if it were between a 26 Outlaw with blue power for over $100 grand and a nice used 28 foot Pantera with blue power, I would have a hard time turning down the larger boat, especially if he wants to stay with a single engine.
I understand and agree completely. They have built some very nice boats and there are a lot of good ones out there.

I have had a couple of PM's with SoCal and this may be a great boat for him if all the issues have been resolved and the price is right.

What was suppose to be a "Dream Boat" for Mike turned into a nightmare. Maybe now it can be a dream boat for someone else.
Old 11-27-2006, 02:22 PM
the Flightmaster
Platinum Member

Well this started out as a 26 Outlaw thread, and turned into a pro Pantera 28 thread, ....then turned into a contra Pantera thread, .....so I guess this is pretty good news for Baja and for Mercury Racing, as well!
If you want a really modern looking powerboat, with easy maintainence wash down surfaces and lockers, and you want vice free handling, buy the Outlaw.
Put in the 600 and it may even scare you ....a little bit.
The Pantera is an extremely cool looking compact version of what a classic offshore powerboat should be....but my guess is that you are going to spend alot more time making it look nice and keeping it that way. It will certainly need more power than the Outlaw, because otherwise you will only make a fool of yourself if you stop accelerating at 78 mph and some little fella in a 24/25 something comes past you.
Old 11-27-2006, 02:25 PM
the Flightmaster
Platinum Member

Oh, a 26 Outlaw with 600, SST spec, has a list price of about 160000 Euros. Thatīs about 220000$
Old 11-27-2006, 02:27 PM
the Flightmaster
Platinum Member

...........in Europe.
Old 11-27-2006, 06:09 PM
Registered

Simply put, drive what you like and works for you! We know there is nothing practical about this sport (i.e. considering a 600 in a Baja). You really have to love the 25 to put a 525 in it (just my 2 cents), and then all the extras, try selling it (that would seem to be a very limited market)? Good for ya, if that's what floats your boat, it's your dime as we all say. You buy the boat that fits your boating needs. I personally have mine for sale on offshoreonly.com (add 46 as of today). Will never get my money out of it with all the upgrades but time to move up to something that can handle the rougher water. (p.s. not knocking Baja-I LOVE mine. It has been an awesome boat!!!!!, just time to move up).

p.s. I love my buddies Pantera! It is a rocket ship!!!!!!

Quick Reply: New 26 Outlaw with a 525 or a 600??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.