Need Custom Cover Advice >

Need Custom Cover Advice

Notices

Need Custom Cover Advice

Old 01-16-2007, 10:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Need Custom Cover Advice

Does a nice custom Sunbrella acrylic cover really protect boat well enough out in the elements or does the heat generated under the cover cause oxidation. Fact or Fiction????? Please help...............
Old 01-17-2007, 11:25 AM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Need Custom Cover Advice

Originally Posted by enorswor
Does a nice custom Sunbrella acrylic cover really protect boat well enough out in the elements or does the heat generated under the cover cause oxidation. Fact or Fiction????? Please help...............
Since you are not getting any responses I'll jump in and share what I know.

First off any boat that is not maintained properly which includes cleaning and waxing will go South. I have seen this first hand with boats stored indoors and just left for a few years. The finish dulls and they develop oxidation just like they were left in the sun.

As for a boat cover I have had experience with a BLACK full cover and found that it develops a LOT of heat. I had it on our boat in August out in the hot sun before our garage was built and could not believe how hot the white deck became under the cover. It concerned me enough to immediately remove it.

With those to comments I would say there is a good possibility that IT COULD BE "fact".

But I am not an expert, this is just my opinion.

Maybe we should summit this to "Myth Busters".

Last edited by Dock Holiday; 01-17-2007 at 01:23 PM.
Old 01-17-2007, 01:14 PM
Registered

Thanks Dock for your sympothy and response. I too have had a terrible experience with Black. I will try to get a light color cover and need to build a garage as you did. Won't be done this summer though and I want to provide the best protection I can because she will be in the sun a lot. Stored in warehouse in the winter but 1 hour away from house. Thanks again.
Old 01-22-2007, 07:25 PM
Registered

Had a lt grey top on befoe the COVER ITgarage 14wx30lx h10and the top was fine, before that I bought some canvas, but it was oiled for the sides stopped the dull hull, BUT left marks while BLOWING IN THE WIND SO THE ANSWER WAS NOT BLOWING IN THE WIND sorry just thought of a song from the 70's. So a top in a light color might work for you, I will be selling my 14Wx 30Lx 10H this spring for around a 1,000 WITH DOORS FRONT AND BACK. buying wider .