New to Baja Forum >

New to Baja Forum

Notices

New to Baja Forum

Old 01-20-2007, 08:07 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to Baja Forum

Welcome from Berkshire UK. I am looking for some advice. I have a 272 which I purchased from Chattanooga in 2003 and shipped to the UK. It has been a great boat but it is time for an upgrade! I really like the look of the 36 Outlaw, have seen a couple for sale. Both are 2004 and both have 496 mag H O's. I know these engines are not the best for the 36. I am mainly looking for reliability. My 272 has a 502 engine and does 64 mph. If i can do late 60's with the 496's I will be happy. The 2 that I am looking at; 1 has 210 hours on it but has lots of extras i.e. smi headers, upgraded stereo, cockpit carpet, full covers etc; the 2nd 36 only has 50 hours on it but lacks the extras. I am in a dilemma. I prefer the one with the higher hours but reliability is a must as repairs are expensive in the UK. can anyone offfer me any advice - much appreciated. Both boats are the same price. One is in florida and the other is in New York area.
Old 01-20-2007, 09:03 AM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: New to Baja Forum

Originally Posted by keith904
Welcome from Berkshire UK. I am looking for some advice. I have a 272 which I purchased from Chattanooga in 2003 and shipped to the UK. It has been a great boat but it is time for an upgrade! I really like the look of the 36 Outlaw, have seen a couple for sale. Both are 2004 and both have 496 mag H O's. I know these engines are not the best for the 36. I am mainly looking for reliability. My 272 has a 502 engine and does 64 mph. If i can do late 60's with the 496's I will be happy. The 2 that I am looking at; 1 has 210 hours on it but has lots of extras i.e. smi headers, upgraded stereo, cockpit carpet, full covers etc; the 2nd 36 only has 50 hours on it but lacks the extras. I am in a dilemma. I prefer the one with the higher hours but reliability is a must as repairs are expensive in the UK. can anyone offfer me any advice - much appreciated. Both boats are the same price. One is in florida and the other is in New York area.

Keith,

Let me be the first to welcome you to the forum.

We also had a 272 with a 502 Mag, and upgraded to a 2002 Baja 36 Outlaw with 500 EFI's. Both are very nice boats and I can assure you that the ride, handling and room of the 36 will really make you happy.

As for the hours, 200 hours does not scare me at all if the boat has not been abused, and has been well serviced. You know what they say, a five year old boat that is ran everyday with 500 hours and has had all service performed is probably in better shape then a 100 hour boat that has sit and not been ran for a couple of years.

You will probably have to repair or replace an outdrive before you touch an engine.

That should be a 500 to 600 hour engine if treated peoperly before you would ever have to go inside it.

I would do a proper servey, and hire a mechanic to do a compression and leak down test on either one before you buy and you should be fine.

As for the 496 Mag HO's you should easily see upper 60's out of it.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Dock
Old 01-20-2007, 09:34 AM
Registered

Thanks for your reply dock. i was looking at the pictures of your 36 outlaw yesterday. I must say its a great looking boat. performance boats are not very common over here a 40 outlaw turned up in 2001/02 it had triple 575s. but it disapeard soon after i heard he had trouble with the drives keep breaking. did sound nice though. i will try post some pictures of our boating seen when i learn how to do it.

keith
Old 01-20-2007, 09:49 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Keith,

Welcome to the forum. My name is Scott and I just recently purchased a 36 OL. My wife and I love it. It has the 500HP's and will reach 70-72 on GPS. Oh and if you stay on the forum everyone on here is a great help.
Old 01-20-2007, 10:18 AM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Thanks for your reply dock. i was looking at the pictures of your 36 outlaw yesterday. I must say its a great looking boat. performance boats are not very common over here a 40 outlaw turned up in 2001/02 it had triple 575s. but it disapeard soon after i heard he had trouble with the drives keep breaking. did sound nice though. i will try post some pictures of our boating seen when i learn how to do it.

keith
If you have any other questions that I can help you with please let me know.

One thing I will mention. A foot is like a mile on a boat. The 36 is not the fastest boat around, however you will be able to run it much faster then you could the 272 in the same conditions.

Take care
Old 01-23-2007, 03:28 PM
Registered

I also have a 05 36, it has 525 with boxes, all the options. the boat rides like a dream. we see high 70's most of the time. you'll really like the 36, and like Dock said don't let the hours
bother you.

good boating
Old 01-25-2007, 08:09 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im putting my 36 on the market. 2000 36 with hp500's that were freshened 40hrs ago. If your interested, send me a pm
Old 01-25-2007, 12:33 PM
Registered

Welcome,
I have an '04 36 with 496HO's. We love it. Moved up from a 33. Very Comfortable, stable ride.
It will do about 68 but as Doc said, " you can do it in any conditions". Is the one in Florida at Fastboats? I like that one and it has CMI exaust that should be good for a couple of mph, bringing the boat to over 70.
Attached Thumbnails New to Baja Forum-dscn4334-small-.jpg  
Old 01-25-2007, 01:03 PM
Registered

Thanks for the info guys have found it vey helpfull. Bret you are right the one i am intrested in is at fast boats. i love the loook of it. it has lots of extras. its close to miami easy for shipping. does anyone know this boat. bret your boat looks very nice. that would turn alot of heads back here in the uk.
Old 01-25-2007, 01:06 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Thanks for the info guys have found it vey helpfull. Bret you are right the one i am intrested in is at fast boats. i love the loook of it. it has lots of extras. its close to miami easy for shipping. does anyone know this boat. bret your boat looks very nice. that would turn alot of heads back here in the uk.
You can trust Randy and Mark at Fastboats to shoot straight with you.

They are good folks with a good reputation.

Quick Reply: New to Baja Forum

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.