Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Baja
600 SCi in a 26 outlaw >

600 SCi in a 26 outlaw

Notices

600 SCi in a 26 outlaw

Old 05-06-2007, 07:27 AM
NoQuarter

Unbelievable!

Baja is one of the biggest builders, if not the biggest, and they wait until a customer orders the 600sci to test one. This is an outrage!

Hope they make it right for you... I would contact the Attorney General's office in your state because they sold you a demo for the price of new.

btw, beautiful setup.

Old 05-06-2007, 02:15 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CMC
You may want to take this approach. If they feel that their treatment of your new $30,000 motor wasn't out of line, tell them to back it up with a FREE 2 year extended warranty. I f any or all of their treatment was outside of what Mercruiser suggests, tell them to give you the extended warranty or a new engine. Its too bad you have already given them your money.
When I had my problem with the floor, I asked them if they felt if the issue was cosmetic or structural (sp). They told me it was strictly cosmetic. I then pulled out the warranty coverage statement which clearly said that they were not responsible for any cosmetic problems once I took possession of the boat ( this is common in the boat business). Since the boat was still theirs, I told them to do the repair and bump up my rebate..... or just keep their boat.
This was one fight I finally won !
This is definately the approach I would take. I would push for a new motor and drive if that approach doesn't work then go for the additional 2 year extending warranty on drive and motor with no exclusions, no deductible. Brunswich is a HUGE company there is no reason for your boat to have more than a couple 1/10th of a hour on it to make sure it was right at the factory. I've got #'s if you need them, but your better off letting your dealer handle it, if he doesn't let me know.
Old 05-08-2007, 06:01 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the support everyone. it's much appreciated.

The dealer hasn't been any help on this issue -they basically just gave me the runaround for two weeks and failed to produce a simple phone number.

So, I ended up calling myself first thing Monday. I have spoken to a few people at baja, but nothing has been resolved yet.

I'll keep you posted.
Old 05-08-2007, 06:12 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ps- CMC- "Full Throttle RPM Range" is 4800-5200.
I think the cpu limits max rpm to 5400.
Old 05-21-2007, 06:30 AM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Did you ever get any resolution on this?
Old 05-21-2007, 08:02 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If memory serves me Powerboat tested a 26 with a 525 and topped out at 72 MPH. If that is the case how is 79 possible with the 600?
Old 05-22-2007, 02:19 PM
the Flightmaster
Platinum Member

First of all, the 72mph is a ridiculously low result for a 525 in a 26.

75 mph is probably what the boat can do on a motor with some hours on it and in clean choppy water (which non step Bajas like best).

Second, one boat test gave the HO powered boat only 61 mph, but another credited it with 67 mph!?

And finally, a Howard 28 Bullet tested at 80 mph with the 525 and nearly 90 mph with the 600. 9+ mph difference between the two motors in the same hull (a much flatter decked, and with 2° less vee than the OL).

I reckon that a well dialed in 26 will do 84 mph, and will be probably one of the safest 26 footers to do that speed in.
Old 05-22-2007, 02:30 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Wild Card 09
Second, one boat test gave the HO powered boat only 61 mph, but another credited it with 67 mph!?
So lets say best case cenario is 67 mph with an HO. I've always been under the interpretation you gain 2 MPH per 50 HP's. The difference between the HO and 600 is 175 HP's. That would be a gain of 7 MPH. Added to 67 would top out at 74MPH.

Not trying to be difficult, just trying to learn and sypher threw to the facts about the ratio between horse gain and top speed.

Neil
Old 05-22-2007, 03:14 PM
Registered

I've always figured 1 mph per 15 hp in that size range....
Old 05-23-2007, 02:26 AM
the Flightmaster
Platinum Member

The question is a valid one. This discussion can go on for a long time, and there are already plenty of threads about this issue.

It all starts with the horsepower ratings. Although there are many who see it differently, it would seem that a 496 (425)horsepower rating is at the crankshaft, but a blue motor at the prop. So the difference between 496 (425 crank) hp and 525 (560 crank) hp is actually around 135hp.
When looking at the 600, you have to take into account that it is additionally a blower motor, bringing a big step up in torque, which helps 600hp to go a little further with the right prop.

However, even this explanation doesn´t entirely justify why the Howard gained so much speed between the two blue motors, but it did it anyway. The 600 is just, plain and simple, a damned good motor.
Mercury Racing´s (since the 525EFi) policy of rating their motors conservatively, makes it difficult to justify the cost at purchase, but adds to the satisfaction, once the boat is out on the water!

Quick Reply: 600 SCi in a 26 outlaw

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.