Concept conceived! Wankels.... >

Concept conceived! Wankels....

Notices

Concept conceived! Wankels....

Old 07-27-2007, 05:32 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Concept conceived! Wankels....

We have a winner....Wankel motors in the Baja.

I recently purchased a 370 Force as a second boat. The 320 Force that I have now is serving me well, but knowing my boat habits, it could serve better.

Before purchasing the 370 Force, I realized I wanted more cuddy space and more deck space. Well, the 370 certainly satisfies my need for a bigger cuddy...however, the deck is roughly the same size. So for a guy who likes to fish, dive, booze cruise with friends and then hang out, this small cockpit won't do.

I've decided today, my Force 370 will receive a total of 6 Mazda rotary engines. Three engines will be coupled per side via a design in my head.... then directly coupled to the Bravo drives. Goal is 600 hp per side to get me into the 60s, maybe 70. The motors will be naturally aspirated and if set up correctly...maybe outlast the boat.

Now here is the good part...rear bench and sundeck go away. There will be lounge seating and under the step up for the transom will be a generator. The six 13B rotors are small enough so that the floor deck can maintain height from the helm clear back to the transom...this allows for fishing, diving, cruising and maybe some quick change out bolsters for a large crew to hit some water comfortably. I'm guessing the short coming that I have learned with my Force 320 is a common theme amongst most go-fast boaters. Rest assured, drawings will be produced and if there is an interest, I might make copies of what I have come up with.

Rotaries love continous power and can be made to be very quiet....things I'ved learned having developed a jetski with a Mazda 13B.
Old 07-27-2007, 07:16 PM
Registered

That sounds cool. Let us know how it works out. I have the 320 Force as well. Great boat..
Old 07-28-2007, 01:28 PM
Registered

Received 63 Likes on 28 Posts

600 HP, how much torque will they put out and at what RPM's?
Old 07-28-2007, 10:06 PM
Registered

Depends on the setup..the porting and manifold pressure will dictate what torque you'll see at what RPM. There is flexibility here and I will be sure to understand the prop curves before nailing down the motor configurations. Right now, I'm planning on 600hp at or around 6000-6500 RPM.
Old 07-29-2007, 08:36 PM
Registered

I'm excited too..first stage will be the difficult and the big question mark. Basically, running the seating and sundeck arrangement as I have it now with rotary motors. If I'm happy with the rotary mntors, I'll proceed in the new deck arrangement. First year will be devoted to the motor/propulsion, second year, if concept permits, will be interior/deck reconfiguration. Very exciting and a way to give some rebirth to these old boats!
Old 07-30-2007, 09:51 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I hope you've got a high limit on your gas card, you're going to need it with those gas suckers!
Old 07-30-2007, 05:48 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Post all the pics you can.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:36 PM
Registered

Ut Oh....

Hmmmm...first stumbling block. I measured wrong. I can't get 3 two rotor motors installed as initially planned....short by about an inch or so if accessories are included.

Now what! Well, I can either supercharge 2 two rotors or revert back to the 454s. If I revert back to the 454s, about one foot of deck space will be lost on the longitudinal axis. Plenty of space to be had with the 454s and seats moved further aft and a storage area would be included of the would-be very short sundeck. So now the quandry, do I attempt to pull this off with rotaries or stick with BBCs and lose about one foot of deck space? The lazy side of me says stick with 454s...the crazy engineer side of me says go with two 2 rotor motors (per side) fed by roots type blowers. This will take more pondering for sure...it was a slam dunk with three 2 rotor N/A rotary motors per side. Can't believe the wasted space with the existing 454s. At minimum, this needs to be addressed.
Old 08-01-2007, 10:24 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rexx
Ut Oh....

Hmmmm...first stumbling block. I measured wrong. I can't get 3 two rotor motors installed as initially planned....short by about an inch or so if accessories are included.

Now what! Well, I can either supercharge 2 two rotors or revert back to the 454s. If I revert back to the 454s, about one foot of deck space will be lost on the longitudinal axis. Plenty of space to be had with the 454s and seats moved further aft and a storage area would be included of the would-be very short sundeck. So now the quandry, do I attempt to pull this off with rotaries or stick with BBCs and lose about one foot of deck space? The lazy side of me says stick with 454s...the crazy engineer side of me says go with two 2 rotor motors (per side) fed by roots type blowers. This will take more pondering for sure...it was a slam dunk with three 2 rotor N/A rotary motors per side. Can't believe the wasted space with the existing 454s. At minimum, this needs to be addressed.
If you want to ever really use this boat , stick with the BBC.
Old 08-01-2007, 10:55 AM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rexx you are really thinking out of the box bro. I like that and it would be pretty cool, but I have to agree with Kennyo and say stick with the BBC.

There is no sub for cubic inches and torque in boating.

Best of luck with the project and we look forward to seeing pictures.

Quick Reply: Concept conceived! Wankels....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.