Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Baja
Baja Questons >

Baja Questons

Notices

Baja Questons

Old 08-13-2007, 10:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What are these so called hooks in the bottom and what do you look for when buying one of these boats to see if it has hooks or not ?? Thanks
Old 08-13-2007, 11:43 PM
Registered

Thumbs up

We've been beyond impressed as far as what was spent and what we have gotten out of the '05 275. The previous boats, although in a different category, did not come close in the workmanship and durability (a 80's 27' Sea Ray, a late 90's Mariah 212Z Shabah- which had the WORST workmanship to date & a '00 Doral 230BR - which was a good boat and isn't too far behind the Baja).

As of now, we have 470 hrs running in salt and a good amount of that between spent between 3/4 WOT - to full WOT in two years, two months and we have had virtually no problems. Everything has held up well to high speed runs and even a few groundings in the Gulf and bays. No complaint's here - the only things we have had to do was replace a Livorsi speedo gauge, the trim tab gauge, get two small surface cracks by the cockpit drain filled and do all the routine up-keep which has been done religiously.
Old 08-14-2007, 06:57 AM
www.Bajaboatowners.com
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by SignArtBaja
What are these so called hooks in the bottom and what do you look for when buying one of these boats to see if it has hooks or not ?? Thanks

In the last two feet or so of the running surface, you will see a small downward turn in the hull as it works back to the transom. This is by design and aids in planing time and stability.

In some cases, this curve will be more pronounced due to poor trailer or lift support. In these cases, and they are going to be rare, you will see a more pronounced turn down in the last couple inches of the running surface almost like a droopy azz on a fat chick.

Once again I can't stress enough that any boat can develope a severe hook if the trailer they are on is not fully supported to the transom or on a boat lift that does not fully support the back of the hull. They are more common on twin engine boats where there is much more transom weight.

I assume the post made by Raylar in the 25 Outlaw speed thread started this new wave of hookfobia. This just shows how one person can make an uninformed post and start a nervous scare into those looking at a particular boat.
Old 08-14-2007, 04:04 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zx14
Why do Baja's cost less? I am looking for maybe a 29' or a 302. I have heard that the 25's could have a hook in the bottom, what issues are there with a 29 or 302?

zx14,

Matt (haulinvols) is a little off on his length #'s. A 29' outlaw is not the same length as the 302 performance. The 302 is 30'6" without a platform and 31' 11" with the platform. The 29' outlaw is 28'9". Matt might have been thinking about the 30' outlaw which is indeed about the same.

My 302 has been a great boat. It has good cockpit space and the cuddy is very usable. It handles rough water very well. If you have some specific questions, send me an e-mail. [email protected].

Last edited by TCBoss302; 08-14-2007 at 04:18 PM.
Old 08-14-2007, 04:29 PM
Registered

Which platform are you talking about, the molded in one or the add on fiberglass/plastic one?
Old 08-14-2007, 04:59 PM
www.Bajaboatowners.com
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by TCBoss302
zx14,

Matt (haulinvols) is a little off on his length #'s. A 29' outlaw is not the same length as the 302 performance. The 302 is 30'6" without a platform and 31' 11" with the platform. The 29' outlaw is 28'9". Matt might have been thinking about the 30' outlaw which is indeed about the same.

My 302 has been a great boat. It has good cockpit space and the cuddy is very usable. It handles rough water very well. If you have some specific questions, send me an e-mail. [email protected].
Actually, the running surface length is roughly the same. the 30'6" measurment on the 302 includes the integral platform and the 31'11" includes the additional add on platform. The 29 Outlaw measures 28'9" to the transom and about 30'11" with the platform. My point is that they share the same running surface length. If you were to be able to take a measurement of both the 302 and the 29 from the tip of the bow to the transom, they would both measure about the same. The difference from that point is just in the swim platforms.

Remember, the performance series always includes any integral platform in the overall length. The fact you could get an additional add on platform on the 302 just confuses the measurement more.

Last edited by haulinvols; 08-14-2007 at 05:02 PM.
Old 08-14-2007, 05:01 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

I have had three outlaws, a 24 with a 540 bulldog (handfull) a 29 with 7.4 mags and now a 36.

Never had any problems or issues with quality. However, be prepared for the "haters" out there that do not know what they are talking about. I get the guys talking down about Baja all the time. There are al,ot out there in all years, shapes and sizes.

Keep in mind Baja makes inexpensive small crafts, but also makes outlaws and large craft. But they all have the same name.

The looks of my 36 seems to draw comparisons to Cigs, Fountians, and other off shore racers. And I have been told mine is an "entry level" boat. Burns my ass and pisses me off. I did not buy it to be compared to a 700K cig. I bought it because I like the lines, resale, quality, creature comforts.
Attached Thumbnails Baja Questons-0505071415%5B1%5D.jpg  
Old 08-14-2007, 05:22 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by TCBoss302
zx14,

I don't think he off at all the 302 and the 29OL share the same hull design other than the integrated swim platform on the 302. Only difference on the 29 and 302 is the top deck. Both running surfaces are identical from bow to stern.
Old 08-14-2007, 06:53 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by haulinvols
Actually, the running surface length is roughly the same. the 30'6" measurment on the 302 includes the integral platform and the 31'11" includes the additional add on platform. The 29 Outlaw measures 28'9" to the transom and about 30'11" with the platform. My point is that they share the same running surface length. If you were to be able to take a measurement of both the 302 and the 29 from the tip of the bow to the transom, they would both measure about the same. The difference from that point is just in the swim platforms.

Remember, the performance series always includes any integral platform in the overall length. The fact you could get an additional add on platform on the 302 just confuses the measurement more.
Exactly where I was heading. Same running surface.
Old 08-15-2007, 08:08 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by haulinvols

Matt,

I missed your point on the running surface......sorry! I was trying to point out that the 302 has more usable space because of the platform/platforms. Regardless, the 29' and the 302 are two very different style boats IMO. zx14 really needs to decide exactly the features he wants. I have kids, so the platform that covers the 29 pitch labbed props (razor blades) is a must.

Quick Reply: Baja Questons

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.