Wipple Stage II ECM >

Wipple Stage II ECM

Notices

Wipple Stage II ECM

Old 12-01-2007, 02:53 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wipple Stage II ECM

What is the advantage to changing to this on a raylar equiped 496 over the stock? What exactly does it do?
Old 12-01-2007, 04:18 PM
Never Enuff
Gold Member

Either contact Bob Llyod at Full Throttle Marine or here on OSO(screen name bobl). He had done extensive dyno tests on the 496 after Raylar kits have been installed and after the reprograming of your ECM. He has also published the results of his tests here on OSO and has a link on his web page. IMO- the guy knows his sh*t.
Jay
Old 12-03-2007, 07:39 AM
Registered

This is from the whipple http://whipplesuperchargers.com/product.asp?ProdID=1190 website:The Whipple stage 2 maximizes the power output of the stock engine by running 91 octane or better, increasing the maximum spark advance, increased ignition power from the individual coils, denser air charge from the low temp thermostat, maximized air-fuel ratio in each individual cylinder and increased air flow from the hi-flow filter. Calibration increases torque levels throughout the entire rpm curve while making more peak hp for increased speeds.
Key features:
• Hi-performance PCM calibration
• Low-temp thermostat
• 5450 RPM limit
• 7% - 10% power increase over stock
• Increased acceleration with increased torque output

I spoke to Dustin last week and my PCM is on the way.
Old 12-03-2007, 03:37 PM
Registered

So is 91 Octane manditory then?
Old 12-03-2007, 04:28 PM
Never Enuff
Gold Member

I believe with the stage 2 it is. The stage one you can continue to use 87. That is my understanding. Every once in awhile Dustin checks these posts so maybe he will chime in and give you the first hand answers to these questions. I have also talked with him on the phone and he is extermly helpful!
Jay
Old 12-04-2007, 08:11 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Baja_man
So is 91 Octane manditory then?
Yes, the stage 2 requires 91. I currently have the stage 1 and it's designed to burn 87.
Old 12-04-2007, 10:08 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink

If you choose to run the Whipple Stage 2 reprogram on a Raylar kit equipped 496, you don't need to run 91 octane. The Raylar aluminum BigPower cylinder head is designed with a fast burn chamber that completes combustion faster than the factory stock iron head. We recommed 89 octane for those boaters who redo their ECM's with the stage 2 program. This reason coupled with a new proper combustion chamber size eliminates the dead spots of the factory iron head and allow more ignition lead without causing excessive knock which usually occurs when the timing is advanced in this program with the stock iron head.
We also do not reccommend changing the stock 160 degree thermostat in a Raylar equipped 496 unless the boat is used exclusivly in warm water boating. The 496 in stock form sometimes needs cooler coolant tempertures when equipped with advanced timing due to the hotter running iron cylinder heads. With the Raylar kit & aluminum heads this lowered cooling temperature is not needed and can actually create excess moisture in the oil due to the fact that in cooler water areas, the oil never gets warm enough to cook of the moisture in the oil.
The Stage 2 program can also reset the rpm rev-limit up to 5400-5500rpms and with the better valve train of the Raylar kit equpped 496 the added rpm can sometimes with correct prop and hull tuning add a few more mph to some boats.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:55 PM
Registered

I guess I should have called you Ray. What PCM flash do you suggest with your Raylar kit? Stock HO; Stage I or Stage II?