Baja 25 Outlaw vs Sunsation 288 MCOB

Notices

Baja 25 Outlaw vs Sunsation 288 MCOB

Old 09-29-2011, 12:44 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default short wave lengths

Originally Posted by articfriends
How are you measuring your waves, I have yet to EVER see a 24/25 ft outlaw or a 272 that rides really great in a 3 foot chop, my 272 launches to the moon then packs your spine in the stuff. The other Baja's I have been out with and in (25 outlaw) was no better. I'm not trying to bust your balls but if your average height hold your hand about at your belt line and look down at the floor, that is about 3 foot on most people, that is pretty mean chop to be banging around in, Smitty
the waves length is narrow, the swells are not wide, on lake erie where i live a north wind sometimes produces deep waves with narrow wave lengths, if the swells are very wide and rollers, then for get it, i end up on the moon too. it depends on the direction of the wind

lake erie is the shallowest lake so the waves do funny things here.
also my wave depth may be a little exaggerated, but it depends on the wave length not the depth., if there are no rollers and just chop, i ride right over them, but if they swell and roll then forget it, lake erie is very shallow like i said, and creates alot of different wave conditions and the direction makes a big difference on the type and size of the wave (characteristics of the wave )

Last edited by conneroutlaw; 09-29-2011 at 12:49 AM.
Old 10-06-2011, 06:25 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree, if you get the right type of 3 footer, you can get on top of them nicely and boot it, if there are swells, you're screwed and have to manage every second of throttle input you have.

I'm on Lake huron, and it's rare to get 3 footers without a swell, but i've seen it, and it's doable.

I should mention it was in a heavy 27' mirage with 2 engines, so that may have helped a bit.

a swell in the middle of those 3 footers will, as mentioned, send you to the moon.

This about 30% of the reason that i went up to a 36 foot, the other 70% was mostly living conditions. I'm tall, and it's nice to be able to stand up below deck. My 37 is not much faster, but it's 2x the weight and 10' longer, and it tackles a 4 footer like it's not there, you don't actually notice the waves until you stop.