Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is interesting

http://www.bucyrustelegraphforum.com...EWS01/80321002

Fountain Powerboats CEO hasn’t ruled out making boats at local plant

By Anthony Conchel

Telegraph-Forum Editor

BUCYRUS — The chairman and CEO of Fountain Powerboats has not ruled out the possibility of making boats at the local Baja Marine facility.
Reggie Fountain, in an exclusive interview with the Telegraph-Forum Friday afternoon, said he will visit the Bucyrus plant soon.

“We’re coming up there in the next week or two ... to walk through the plant and meet the workers. We’ve not yet made any decision on where we’ll build the boats,” Fountain said.

Located on the North Carolina coast, Fountain Powerboats makes sports boats, fishing boats and cruisers.

On Thursday Brunswick announced it was selling the local plant to Fountain’s company. About 285 people would lose their jobs in a permanent layoff by May 23.

“We’ve not decided if we’ll make them down here, in Bucyrus or anywhere else in the country,” Fountain said.

“We’re gonna take a look at it and see what makes sense.”
Baja, which opened in Bucyrus in 1956, has undergone expansions and layoffs over the years.

Fountain said no one from the city of Bucyrus or Crawford County had contacted him about the future.

“They all need to call me up,” he said.

He added the past few days have been “a really busy time. I’m all over the place, in planes or in meetings.”

Mayor Dan Ross said he intended to call Fountain immediately.

“That’s definitely a positive sign. I’m going to call him right away,” he said.

Ross added, “We can’t afford to lose employees and we want them to be assured that Dave Williamson (Crawford County Economic Development director) and I will do as much as we can to keep as many jobs here as we can.”

Fountain said he understands the uncertainty that surrounds Baja Marine and its workforce.

“I’m happy to entertain any propositions or discussions they might have. We spent a few hours there (Bucyrus) and didn’t really get to meet too many of the people. We’re coming back to look.

“Jobs come at a premium today, don’t they?” he said.

[email protected]
419-563-9220
Originally published March 21, 2008
Old 03-22-2008, 03:31 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good luck with keeping the jobs in Ohio. I don't think that will happen.
Old 03-22-2008, 05:55 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by JUPITER PULSARE
I think this could be a great growth opportunity for Checkmate. The original owner of Baja now owns Checkmate. Checkmate could make use of the Baja plant and increase production and keep jobs intact for people who don't wish to transfer to Fountain...mmm....
Good thinking, but I don't think that Doug will do that just yet. To early to make a big leap like that.
Old 03-22-2008, 06:00 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Dock Holiday
This is interesting

http://www.bucyrustelegraphforum.com...EWS01/80321002

Fountain Powerboats CEO hasn’t ruled out making boats at local plant

By Anthony Conchel

Telegraph-Forum Editor

BUCYRUS — The chairman and CEO of Fountain Powerboats has not ruled out the possibility of making boats at the local Baja Marine facility.
Reggie Fountain, in an exclusive interview with the Telegraph-Forum Friday afternoon, said he will visit the Bucyrus plant soon.

“We’re coming up there in the next week or two ... to walk through the plant and meet the workers. We’ve not yet made any decision on where we’ll build the boats,” Fountain said.

Located on the North Carolina coast, Fountain Powerboats makes sports boats, fishing boats and cruisers.

On Thursday Brunswick announced it was selling the local plant to Fountain’s company. About 285 people would lose their jobs in a permanent layoff by May 23.

“We’ve not decided if we’ll make them down here, in Bucyrus or anywhere else in the country,” Fountain said.

“We’re gonna take a look at it and see what makes sense.”
Baja, which opened in Bucyrus in 1956, has undergone expansions and layoffs over the years.

Fountain said no one from the city of Bucyrus or Crawford County had contacted him about the future.

“They all need to call me up,” he said.

He added the past few days have been “a really busy time. I’m all over the place, in planes or in meetings.”

Mayor Dan Ross said he intended to call Fountain immediately.

“That’s definitely a positive sign. I’m going to call him right away,” he said.

Ross added, “We can’t afford to lose employees and we want them to be assured that Dave Williamson (Crawford County Economic Development director) and I will do as much as we can to keep as many jobs here as we can.”

Fountain said he understands the uncertainty that surrounds Baja Marine and its workforce.

“I’m happy to entertain any propositions or discussions they might have. We spent a few hours there (Bucyrus) and didn’t really get to meet too many of the people. We’re coming back to look.

“Jobs come at a premium today, don’t they?” he said.

[email protected]
419-563-9220
Originally published March 21, 2008
Mark, I hope that they keep those jobs in Bucyrus. The local area needs to be stimualted!
Old 03-22-2008, 09:17 PM
Registered

good luck to the people affected.
Old 03-22-2008, 09:38 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by offshore ginger
H20 YOU GOT THAT RIGHT ! H2O , IT SEEMS LIKE ARE STATE ( MICH ) IS DRYING UP ALSO ........... G .G .
I know first how it feels, I worked for 35 years for a company that closed two years ago and moved to India, about 1500 jobs were lost ! And we were a high tech company that did'nt make car's.