Baja By Fountain a change for the good

Notices

Baja By Fountain a change for the good

Old 10-17-2008, 10:41 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 224 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by BAJA WILL
In all fairness eveyone asking How? Why? Don't understand? This has been covered in so many other postes.

Trust me,
I've viewed all the other posts.

At first, I kind of blew it off as hype, but we keep getting
more and more people saying how they're going to be
better performing, I just figured I'd call someone on it.

I'll give you the better construction.

I covered what was already mentioned with the
x and gear ratio change, what else is there ?

Standard latham steering doesnt make them faster.

Standard GPS speedo's don't make them faster.

Unless there's a significant weight reduction by the
different materials used, it's not going to make them faster.

As an owner of one of the faster baja's on here
I kind of have a half-assed notion on what works
and doesn't as far as speed gains go.

I wouldn't expect anything majorly different
performance wise, if they were to ship an exsisting
fountain mold to Bucyrus, and have them build it.

Last edited by JaayTeee; 10-17-2008 at 11:45 AM.
Old 10-17-2008, 10:47 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I understand that they are pushing the product. They have too, but sometimes it comes off that the pre-Faja are junk. I take that as a slap in the face to the ex-employees. I don't blame them for getting upset. I would be if I gave blood, sweat and tears, then some people implied that the product was inferior in so many ways.

So if the ex-employees can't be upset, then the Faja cheerleaders should not be upset when ex-employees challenge all the statements about how the new boats are so much better.

I can see how some of the changes are better vs. say liner boats and maybe materials. But other than that, the deck is the same along with the bottom. The rest is just pixie dust.
Old 10-17-2008, 10:52 AM
www.LEGENDMARINEGROUP.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

No one is knocking the old Baja I have owned 10 of them. The Liner boats were good boats to but the Larger Liner boats have had many problems to the point that the cost of the warranty repairs to them probaly put Baja out of Business..

Once again Baja has always build a good boat Reggie has just done a few things to make them a little better and safer.
Old 10-17-2008, 10:52 AM
Registered

Alot of the new standard equipment being touted is stuff I can do to my boat. I can add hyd steering, I put a 4 blade on my boat, and I can change my x-dim if I so choose.

So what makes all the stuff I listed so much better. Because Reggie did it?????

Lets say Reggie builds a 242 with all the options. I take my 242 and go add all the same options as aftermarket. Is Reggies 242 still better then my 242(remember it is not a liner boat).
Old 10-17-2008, 11:05 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by mcourson
So what makes all the stuff I listed so much better. Because Reggie did it?????

Lets say Reggie builds a 242 with all the options. I take my 242 and go add all the same options as aftermarket. Is Reggies 242 still better then my 242(remember it is not a liner boat).

mcourson, the answer to your question is yes, Reggies boat will be better. I can not give you a logical reason why, I just always assume Reggie is somewhere personally wrenching on a boat since I never hear of his crew getting any credit for anything.

Opps, that damned sarcasm button was on lock again!
Old 10-17-2008, 12:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK I have posted some of the most notable changes on at least 3 other threads but here goes.

Vinyl Ester Resin is stronger than Polyesters

High density Foam Core is stronger and will not rot vs Balsa.

Bonded Hull, Deck, Glassed, through bolted, and screwed is stronger.

Stringers are Stronger than Liner.

Fountains interiors are much nicer, look at the pics.

Hydrolic steering is better, was it an option yes, now it is standard, that is better.

Higher X, Lab finished props and 1.65 ratios make the boats faster.

They have been experimenting with Center of Gravity, most notable will be when the new 40 OL is done. However their are changes on the 30OL also.

EVERY BOAT WATER TESTED AND DIALED IN AT FACTORY, do I need to explain.

No one is saying the new BAJA are blowing the doors off old ones, the gains are expected for drive changes, Labbed props, and dial in time.

Could these changes been made at BAJA yes, did MGT do them NO. WHY I have no phing clue, ask a former employee??

This whole Old Baja vs New Baja is just STUPID, think of it as the new model Corvette coming out, nothing wrong with the older models, just the new ones have been improved on.

Last edited by BAJA WILL; 10-17-2008 at 12:19 PM.
Old 10-17-2008, 12:22 PM
Custom Interiors & More

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FountainDealer.com
Once again Baja has always build a good boat Reggie has just done a few things to make them a little better and safer.
Yes adding Latham steering on all single engine boats produced will add safety, but raising the "x" dimension will cost you some control period! I have personally tested the original prototype 23ol, and 26ol that was built with a extra high "x" to begin with. The 23 was a handful to drive for the average guy with the high "x" and the 26 was slower.

XT
Old 10-17-2008, 12:42 PM
Registered

Bonded Hull, Deck, Glassed, through bolted, and screwed is stronger.

Stringers are Stronger than Liner.

Hydrolic steering is better, was it an option yes, now it is standard, that is better.

No one is saying the new BAJA are blowing the doors off old ones, the gains are expected for drive changes, Labbed props, and dial in time.

Could these changes been made at BAJA yes, did MGT do them NO. WHY I have no phing clue, ask a former employee??

This whole Old Baja vs New Baja is just STUPID, think of it as the new model Corvette coming out, nothing wrong with the older models, just the new ones have been improved on.

1. Having taken apart a few, Plexused screwed and bolted was NOT and issue. Seeing the order Fountain builds these does make glassing the joint much easier.

2. Done properly, liners work fine, just ask Formula! Granted, Baja's weren't , and were changing back to stringers anyway. Covered a few times.

3. Nicer is a matter of opinion. I personally don't like the gauge panels Fountain is using, but agree the cuddys look nice.

4. Hydraulic steering is better, was an option, and up to the DEALER (you) to check that box. Just like picking the engine.

5. Higher X also sometimes comes with a downside, many people find planing easy to be better than 2 mph faster top end. None of them are on here, but... And labbed props are EXPENSIVE to replace when you have an oops. I'd prefer those be an option, myself.

6. The same management that was working on the sale to Fountain were the ones that wanted stuff to you dealers ASAP even if we knew they weren't as good as they could be. In the end, you got screwed the same as the employees.

7. The new Corvette isn't being made in a FORD factory either! For years it was "Baja is entry level crap" and "Fountain is king." A couple months in the same building doesn't change everyones opinion! Can you imagine Camaros and Mustangs going down the line side by side?

*this is nothing against BAJA WILL, just used his quote since it was handy!*
Old 10-17-2008, 12:45 PM
Registered

Can you convert the cuddy of a 30 into a bed yet, or is it just a place to sit and stare across at your friends?

As XT Innovator said, the higher X will cost you some control, thats a fact. Thats not good in the safety dept when average Joe buys his first Baja.

No one is saying the new BAJA are blowing the doors off old ones
You are correct, NO ONE is saying that! Thanks for pointing that out.

I sure do like the stringers though! I wish we would have thought of that.
Old 10-17-2008, 12:52 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know Fountaindealer and he has owned many bajas and loves them and i think you all are kind going overboard on this thread. Baja was straigh up the entry level performance boat it was considered the bayliner of the performance endustry. I can't stand Reggie but you can't deny the go knows what he's doing.

So Fountain, Baja, Donzi.....Bla Bla Bla when you boys get out of school you can a realy boat CIGARETTE "Their is no Substitute"

Cheers,

Cigracing1

Quick Reply: Baja By Fountain a change for the good

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.