So it begins...A rebuild thread >

So it begins...A rebuild thread

Notices

So it begins...A rebuild thread

Old 02-03-2009, 06:56 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by c_deezy
I have to go at least to the forward bulkhead in front of the gas tank, its dry-rotted too. I haven't pulled the cabin apart yet to see if the stringers that run along the tank run all the way up or stop at the bulkhead. Where did you get your plywood from? There is a place in Toledo I used to get marine grade from but it was $80 a sheet.
There was a lumber yard here in Cincinnati called Funch Lumber back in 03 I want to say that I paid a little more than $60.00 a sheet..

I actually gave it some serious thought in using the MICRO lam beams instead of the plywood.. I know that they are strong as **** and full of glue so I doubt that rot wood be a issue..

Also notice in the last picture of the finished transom at the keel how I cut the plywood and packed that area with resin and AEROCEL and chopped mat, did it that way with the bulkheads too.. Reason for it was so when I drilled through for the drainage holes it was solid glass no wood that way no water would be able to penetrate the wood in the transom and bulkheads!!!
Old 02-03-2009, 08:08 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Once I settle with my insurance company, one of you guys may want to pickup my boat and re-do it...

-mike
'14 VW Touareg TDI
'17 Holden Commodore 6MT
'13 Subaru BRZ Spec 86 Cup Race Car
Old 02-03-2009, 08:09 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Paisan
Once I settle with my insurance company, one of you guys may want to pickup my boat and re-do it...

-mike
Whats wrong with it?
Old 02-03-2009, 08:11 PM
Registered

I'll pick it up if your gonna give it away?
Old 02-03-2009, 08:21 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Oh I tagged a log in the hudson river. Insurance company won't pay, claims "Prior Damage or Manufacturing Defect". We hit right on the stringer and so it wicked up the water while we tried to make it back to the dock with the boat. We are taking the insurance company to arbitration to hopefully be made whole on what they owe me. I'll be selling the whole she-bang once it's settled.

-mike
'14 VW Touareg TDI
'17 Holden Commodore 6MT
'13 Subaru BRZ Spec 86 Cup Race Car
Old 02-03-2009, 10:04 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Paisan

-mike
At least call Kevin, 3 of us in your thread know him, you may be surprised....
Old 02-03-2009, 10:08 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

Ahhh!! the memories! glad thats over...good thread, I likeseeing boats get fixed up!!

Old 02-04-2009, 11:37 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by fleg1
Also notice in the last picture of the finished transom at the keel how I cut the plywood and packed that area with resin and AEROCEL and chopped mat, did it that way with the bulkheads too.. Reason for it was so when I drilled through for the drainage holes it was solid glass no wood that way no water would be able to penetrate the wood in the transom and bulkheads!!!

Yeah I noticed you did that. I was planning on doing the same thing, or at the very least seperating that part from the rest of the transom/bulkheads. What did you use for resin? Originally I was going to go with vinylester, but now I am thinking of doing all epoxy since it really isn't that much more than vinylester and the working time is a little better. Still not entirely decided...
Old 02-04-2009, 12:04 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by c_deezy
Yeah I noticed you did that. I was planning on doing the same thing, or at the very least seperating that part from the rest of the transom/bulkheads. What did you use for resin? Originally I was going to go with vinylester, but now I am thinking of doing all epoxy since it really isn't that much more than vinylester and the working time is a little better. Still not entirely decided...
I was told by the person that I was getting the material from that it was vinylester.. But hell if you can go epoxy go with epoxy much stronger.. Only thing I didn't do that I wish I would have was foam in the tank!!!!
Old 02-08-2009, 10:25 PM
Registered

Made a little more progress this weekend. Spent all day Saturday chipping away at the transome. Got the first layer off and working on the second layer. Only the starboard side was bad, area around the gimble and port side were still rock solid and thus making removal difficult. I can't tell quite how many layers of ply are on there, looks like two layers 3/8 and two layers of 1/2 ply, overall it was 2 3/8" thick. And the staples keep mucking up my chisels!!!

Quick Reply: So it begins...A rebuild thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.