So it begins...A rebuild thread >

So it begins...A rebuild thread

Notices

So it begins...A rebuild thread

Old 01-05-2009, 01:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So it begins...A rebuild thread

Shorty after I bought this boat (88 240) I found a few spots on the transom that gave indication that I was going to have problems. Well I made it through two and a half seasons and finally have a place to work on it over the winter so its time to take care of it. As always seems to happen on a project like this it has gone from replacing the transom to replacing the entire stringer and floor system as well. So far the only thing that doesn't seem water-logged is the stringers in the bilge for the engine, but I haven't taken core samples from them yet. Everything else is toast. I've spent the last few weekends de-rigging everything, finally got it to the point where I'm ready to start ripping the old junk out a little at a time and start replacing it with new. A few pics of the progress so far.

My monster engine hoist I modified/built. So far its worked great, pulled the hatch, motor, rear seat and gas tank out with it.

Last edited by c_deezy; 01-05-2010 at 04:12 AM.
Old 01-05-2009, 01:27 PM
Registered

Empty dash -

Old 01-05-2009, 04:26 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man now that is a project!

Better get busy so you can get back on the water come boating season.

Remember Kevin Brown up in Bucyrus if you need any help with the fiberglass. This guy is GREAT!

Good luck
Old 01-05-2009, 07:18 PM
Registered

Nice project. Thanks for sharing. Keep us posted on the progress.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:41 PM
Registered

man that looks just like mine did!!!!!
Old 01-05-2009, 08:03 PM
jfm
Registered

I have been redoing the same thing for about a year now, on the side. It was a friends boat that he was going to junk so I took it. Good luck and get ready for hell. Any questions give a shout.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:41 PM
Registered

The watersoak/rot was what I expected but a lot worse than I was hoping for. I was hoping, not very optimistic but still hoping, that the stringers would be ok and all I would have to do is the bulkheads and floors but didn't get so lucky. We fixed our old Checkmate a couple years ago that had everything but the transom rotten, just need to get the glass/resin ordered and start cutting the old crap out. I've hated the way this boat was rigged since I bought so I'm looking forward to rebuilding it and re-rigging it.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:44 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by daredevil
Do yourself a favor and foam the fueltank in after u mount it back in the boat .
4# poorfoam 1/2 gallon of each mix 1:1 and do little at a time kicks of in 15 sec.

Can't believe they where not foamed in back then ,,,,,,WOW
I was considering doing this since I found one of the mounts cracked off anyhow and I wouldn't have to screw into new stringers. What is the benefit of this? So you don't have to screw into the stringers and it surrounds the tank entirely?
Old 01-26-2009, 04:42 PM
Registered

Minor update - Alot of family things going on lately and not much time to work. Not too mention other little problems non-boat related popping up, last one was a finicky water heater that needed a thermostat and new elements. Finally got my 'cocoon' built around the boat to try to contain as much of the dust as possible. Figured it would be easier to cover that boat than try to cover everything else in the barn. Now that its up, time to finally start cutting/grinding things out. It's going to be a push to try to be done and put back together by Memorial Day

Old 01-26-2009, 05:40 PM
Registered

Ahhhh - Baja and their funky a$$ engine mount bolt retainers - Now which wiz kid up there thought that was a good idea? If your so concerned the lag bolts may back out you have to cover them with that whateverthehell it is - how about making a real engine mount and thru bolt it?? Those things suck when you have to pull an engine and the mounts are rusted to $hit!!!

Quick Reply: So it begins...A rebuild thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.