Extension boxes on a 302 >

Extension boxes on a 302

Notices

Extension boxes on a 302

Old 06-02-2009, 11:07 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JasonSmith
If you do +3 boxes from IMCO you have to raise the engines 3" which means raising the exhaust 3" which means custom tails if you have headers.
A neutral IMCO box with -2" shorties will get you where you want to go.
Stellings with -2" IMCO lowers will give you the most flexibility & that would be the route I would take in your shoes.
So throw a set of these on with my drives and 2" shorties and I'll be roughly where I want to be.

http://newyork.craigslist.org/wch/boa/1201164013.html
Old 06-03-2009, 09:01 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 224 Likes on 129 Posts

Stellings with -2" IMCO lowers will give you the most flexibility & that would be the route I would take in your shoes.

Ditto.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:51 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by irishtornado
So throw a set of these on with my drives and 2" shorties and I'll be roughly where I want to be.

http://newyork.craigslist.org/wch/boa/1201164013.html
Yea, for the money, that would work. The Stellings boxes on -2" drives would really be the ticket, but it is hard to turn down a deal like that......if it is legit. Craigslist + New York/New Jersey + CHEAP = 3 strikes.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:13 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

That should get you there since you are close to 80, the IMCO lowers might hurt you in speed but gain in handling. The IMCO lowers actually slowed my boat down a little (2MPH) but that was my boat. I had a lot of people tell me the stock lowers would work better at 80MPH and they were right. The net effect for you might be +1 or +2 MPH with boxes and lowers though.

Everybodys boat is different... You NEED to shoot for 4 inches of drive height "X Dimension" with boxes. With BBlades Baja cup Bravo 1 props you will come out of the water like a bobber. How you get there is a MONEY thing! Stellings, you can keep your lowers but you have to deal with the bearing carrier. IMCO you have to buy lowers but you end up with a bad a$$ setup.

Between all of us we still arent exactly the same Jason/Indy are over 90MPH where the IMCO lowers really help but with a VERY similar hull as you. On the other hand, my hull is a little bigger but I am in the same speed range as you.

I think you need to get this project going soon! I am in detroit June 18/19 so you better go buy those boxes so I can help you install this stuff.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:14 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

Jason/Indy - Do you have to pull the engines to put the IMCO boxes on?
Old 06-03-2009, 12:45 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Keith Atlanta
Jason/Indy - Do you have to pull the engines to put the IMCO boxes on?
Yes you do. Gotta change out the inner transom plate. You gotta pull them regardless of who's box you use.
Old 06-03-2009, 03:57 PM
Registered

Yea, for the money, that would work. The Stellings boxes on -2" drives would really be the ticket, but it is hard to turn down a deal like that......if it is legit. Craigslist + New York/New Jersey + CHEAP = 3 strikes.
Guy emailed me back is getting more pics. They are complete kits. Neutral boxes. Sending me more pics.
Old 06-03-2009, 04:01 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Keith Atlanta
That should get you there since you are close to 80, the IMCO lowers might hurt you in speed but gain in handling. The IMCO lowers actually slowed my boat down a little (2MPH) but that was my boat. I had a lot of people tell me the stock lowers would work better at 80MPH and they were right. The net effect for you might be +1 or +2 MPH with boxes and lowers though.

Everybodys boat is different... You NEED to shoot for 4 inches of drive height "X Dimension" with boxes. With BBlades Baja cup Bravo 1 props you will come out of the water like a bobber. How you get there is a MONEY thing! Stellings, you can keep your lowers but you have to deal with the bearing carrier. IMCO you have to buy lowers but you end up with a bad a$$ setup.

Between all of us we still arent exactly the same Jason/Indy are over 90MPH where the IMCO lowers really help but with a VERY similar hull as you. On the other hand, my hull is a little bigger but I am in the same speed range as you.

I think you need to get this project going soon! I am in detroit June 18/19 so you better go buy those boxes so I can help you install this stuff.
I agree. This will be a winter project. The season is too short up here to tear the boat down now. Heck your about 1.5 weeks too early to be in Detroit..Come up on June 25th and join the party.
Old 06-03-2009, 04:08 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by irishtornado
Guy emailed me back is getting more pics. They are complete kits. Neutral boxes. Sending me more pics.
You need to know what size u-joints the shaft takes. 1.75's are the best ones. If the kits don't come with the driveshafts, let me know, I know a guy........
Otherwise, make sure they have the steering wings, inner transom plates, inspection plate covers, and driveshafts. You will need longer hoses for your steering rams also and exhaust y-pipe block offs & 4 tubes of 5200 to seal the boxes to the transom.
Also, get the 2(ea) short studs to replace the long ones on your existing transom assemblies.
Old 06-03-2009, 04:09 PM
Registered

Oh, you'll want to start looking for a set of 380 k-planes too. You can buy just the lower plates. I paid about $350 per plate.

Quick Reply: Extension boxes on a 302

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.