Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Baja
What are cost effective mods to a Hammer >

What are cost effective mods to a Hammer

Notices

What are cost effective mods to a Hammer

Old 03-18-2002, 01:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any more speed and tabs are a must. They are almost a must on a stock boat. Also steering should be upgraded. That alone is a big chunk of change. Run it a year as is them rethink about. Great boat to start and work up from.

Brian
Old 03-18-2002, 03:16 PM
Brad Perry

Default Been there, done that!

Ray, there are a lot of different opinions on that motor. I can share what I did with my Hammer with a similar motor. With 50hrs on it, I changed to Edelbrock oval heads and a crane 587/610 lift cam with CMI exhaust. Changed ignition modules as well to get rid of the rev limiter. The boat gained 10mph and was an absolute blast to drive. Next year I bolted a nickerson 250 kit on and when all the bugs were worked out, it gained another 10mph. Now have a blown intercooled 540 in it, running 100mph.

BTW, when that wimpy 454 engine came out after all that abuse, the bearings and cylinder walls and pistons looked like new. Short block went right into a friends car. That motor can take some power as long as the rpm is kept reasonable and dentonation is avoided.

Knowing what I know now, I would probably have gone with the whipple and exhaust, or a naturally aspirated 540 from the start.

Good Luck!

Old 03-18-2002, 06:45 PM
Registered

Hot Damn Brad!

A 100 MPH in a Hammer!!! That has got to be a thrill ride. You must have the steering Caincando is talking about or balls the size of grapefruit. That has got to be one fun ride. Thanks for the input. You have put a ton into the engine bay, but the old addage "If you want to play you have to pay" probably applies.

Madmax
I appreciate the input. I see you are not far away. Do you ever get over to the Mississippi? I wouldn't mind trying to get together some time this summer. Where do you normally boat?

GottaHavIt raised a good question when he asked how much I wanted to spend. I really didn't plan on a budget that would go the $6,000 that 29 Outlaw mentioned for swapping the 454 for a 502. I am reminded though that the budget I set for customizing and modifying my motorcycle ended up being exceeded significantly. It just seemed like one thing led to another. I think this performance stuff might be addicting too. Thanks guys.
Old 03-19-2002, 09:06 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Brad, We're going out this weekend to test my new labbed prop you oughta meet us out on saterday, I'd like to check that hammer out
Old 03-19-2002, 09:09 AM
Brad Perry

Every time I started a new engine project, I spent twice as much as I had originally predicted. Get used to it!

Yes I finally went to full hydraulic steering (WPM) after hearing horror stories that scared the hell out of me. It's hard to spend money on stuff that doesn't make the boat go any faster!

It's one thing to keep biting off reasonable chunks, but I think it would have been more efficient to learn more from the start and build my dream motor right off than continually think that this would be good enough. I think I would have struck the best balance with a potent 540 naturally aspirated motor (~700hp).

Dean Nickerson convinced me that it would be about the same cost to build a 540 as a 454 or 502 from scratch. He was right. Now, any project I get into, it will just be a 540. Can't beat the bang for the buck. Need a six pack of em!

Old 03-19-2002, 09:13 AM
Brad Perry

You say where and when!

I am kinda new around here on this side of town and don't really know where to go. I did all my testing at Grapevine, but the ramps suck and the water is 8' down. Checked out Ray roberts a couple of weeks ago. Looked real nice and has good facilities.

I work in Benbrook and commute from an area north of grapevine. I used to go to Lavon, Hubbard and Texoma. Where do you go??

Old 03-19-2002, 04:03 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

You're right about Grapevine the ramps suck, it's always low,and their are a lot of obstructions and sand bars on that lake. I grew up on Grapevine but it didn't take me long after getting my own boat to find a new place. We go to Possum Kingdom, it's deep and clean with nice ramps and usally a good tie up at Hells Gate, or Eagle mountain, Joe Pool, or Lewisville for day trips. We also frequent Cedar Creek Lake because my dad has a weekend place out there, The new Bahama Beach Club is pretty cool if your into night life me and my buddies and our wives can usally be found there on sat nights playing pool and having a few drinks, You have mail
Old 08-03-2016, 12:07 PM
Registered

hello first off that gotta be a crazy ride !!!
second is i have the 454 310 in my hammer but it don't excite me at all i love the hammer just not the performance... i needsome advice should i just bite the bullet and get a built 502 or just tinker with the l29?
im not dead set on a budget but if its cost effective ill just swap motors i can only get ABOUT 64-66 out of my boat with the 25 3 blade ss on it thanks
Old 08-03-2016, 09:37 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Adding 50 to 100 HP is not going to give you warm fuzzies. If you add 75 HP you will just have it apart again in a few years because you want more. Going to a 502 won't make you happy for long. It is a much better engine to build. why not find a good engine with low hours that has 200 to 300 HP more than what you have now and just drop it in and GO. ( I just sold a pair of 509's that put out 650 HP each )
I started out down the road you are on right now. BEN THERE DONE THAT
Three years ago I finally bought the boat I always wanted and put it together the way I wanted.