What are cost effective mods to a Hammer

Notices

What are cost effective mods to a Hammer

Old 03-15-2002, 07:52 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are cost effective mods to a Hammer

Hey guys
I am new to the Board. I have just bought my first performance boat. I bought a new 2001 Hammer with the 7.4 MPI. I would like any advice you might have relative to cost effective Mods. I haven't had the boat out yet, but I hear I might see 70 on the speedo which will really be around 65. I know I will want more and would like to get the benefit of your experience. Pulling the motor is not a realistic option for this summer. Is a cam on this motor worth while? I have seen some talk about reprograming through Arizona Speed or something like that. What is that all about? It came with a 23 pitch Mirage Plus. Would getting this prop labbed be worth while? This has probably been hashed out a number of times, but I would sure appreciate any advice you might want to offer.
Old 03-15-2002, 08:33 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would install Stainless Marine Dominator exhaust, put on a better flame arrestor, and run without the plastic cover over the engine. The plastic cover seems like a good way to keep the engine warm which is bad thing for power. I have 496HO's in my boat and do not run with those silly plastic covers.

I love the Stainless Marine exhaust. I had them on my 24 Outlaw and I don't know if they made it faster since I replaced the engine at the same time but they sure sounded great!! There are better exhaust systems out there but they can cost many thousands. Dominator exhaust only cost about $1500.

Once you see what you get from this, you may be ready to try a stock 25" prop. If you can turn the stock 25, have it labbed.

Given what you have, the things I list are exactly what I would do. For less than $2000 you will probably see an extra 2-3mph.

Save the big$$$ for your next boat.
Old 03-15-2002, 08:53 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I would start with changing the heads,if you want a good improvement,the head change on my hammer would've been worth a bout 75-100 hp,if I would've done it, but I sold the boat , It was going to cost $1,000 at a local shop in Houston, next I would do an aftermarket flame arrestor, and a labbed 25'' mirage (not plus), I think you could run 72-74 with those mods
Old 03-15-2002, 08:56 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Talking

Put a big ass scarab sticker on it .
Old 03-15-2002, 09:09 PM
Registered

Hey Asset,

This man is looking for easy power. You suggest a head swap on a 7.4 which already has a weak lower end??? How far can he expect to go with the 7.4? I made my recommendation in terms of gaining 2-3mph for less than $2000. This man should save his $$$$ for his next ride. In the meantime he has a Hammer that will run an honest 70mph. There are a lot of boy-racers out there that claim to run 70. He will waste all of them

Hey Tinker,

Baja’s are alive and selling.
Old 03-15-2002, 09:18 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

why put stickers on a boat with in-gel graphics,oh yeah old scarabs would'nt know what in gel graphics are,29outlaw, you are right, the 7.4 olny likes to turn 44-4600rpms but a hammer is easy to get 70 out of
Old 03-16-2002, 12:18 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Bob Teague recomended the head upgrade, ecu reprogramming,fuel pressure regulator,powerflow exhaust,and cmi risersfor the 7.4 in this months TEAGUE ON TECH in POWERBOAT on a H2X for naturally aspirated
Old 03-16-2002, 08:35 AM
Registered

Thanks 29 and Asset. I appreceiate your replies. Tinker, I trust you are just having fun or you wouldn't be here. An honest 70 is what I would like to see. I think to get better than that and I have to throw some serious money at it. For the cost of the stuff recently noted in Powerboat, it would seem it might be easier and maybe even cheaper to go with the Procharger. i have even thought about selling the 7.4 MPI, and throwing in the difference to get a 502, but I haven't figured out how to convince my wife pulling the motor out of a brand new boat is a good idea. None of you commented on a cam change. Is it not worth while, can't get the right kind of power, or these heads just don't breathe enough to get any benefit from the cam?
Old 03-16-2002, 06:19 PM
Registered

Ray,

On my 24 Outlaw I did what you suggest. I traded in my 7.4 on a 502. It worked out great. It took me from about 58mph to about 67mph. Out-the-door cost was about $6000. I would have suggested that earlier but I didn't know what your budget was or how long you plan keeping the Hammer.
Old 03-18-2002, 09:51 AM
Registered

Talking

OK Ray, so you want to go 70 cheap in your Hammer? I had the same boat with the same motor, and here's the formula for it...

Buy a 25 pitch Mirage 3-blade. ($150-$450)

Have Bronson Hill propellors lab finish it ($150)

Head South down the Mississippi, stand on it, and trim it until you can barely control it anymore........

Seriously tho, if yours runs like mine did, you are already gonna be close to hitting the rev limiter (4750rpm), in stock configuration, and any mods will require this to be reprogrammed. The stock heads are excellent, don't believe what people tell you, they are L-29 vortec heads, and are perfect for this engine's rpm range. Stock cam is pretty good also, so don't bother. Really, there isn't much you should do to this engine other than run the crap outa it and then sell it to someone who really needs it and buy a 502 from 1800runsnew.com

Don't forget, that above 70 is really pointless on this boat anyway if you are boating on the Mississippi. You will never get a clear enough day to run these speeds without it chine walking BADLY. You will definately need upgraded steering if you are serious about going fast in this boat...

To conclude. Have fun, run the boat for a few years, don't touch it, and save your $$ for a 232 or 25 outlaw. Then you really have something you can dump your money into and it will be able to handle the speed. The hammer is really fast stock and will dust most people outa the hole so bad they will never catch you anyway.! Enjoy.!

Quick Reply: What are cost effective mods to a Hammer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.