Just bought a 1994  272..!!! >

Just bought a 1994 272..!!!

Notices

Just bought a 1994 272..!!!

Old 03-18-2009, 06:15 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just bought a 1994 272..!!!

Well bringing the boat home this weekend. Found a local 272 on craigslist.. Went out and looked it over, talked with the owner for a while. Reviewed all of the pictures I took. Went back out to see the boat again with and offer and surveyor.

Its a 1994 with a 454...

He accepted the offer, and the NAMS surveyor said the boat was in excellent condition.

Asking price was $18000, I worked the deal for $13500. Financed the boat locally at a credit union with zero down which is very surprising for a performance boat in this economy... Average NADA price with all accessories that it comes with, was $17900.

Here is a few pictures (do not do justice) the boat has been out of the water since 02 in heated indoor storage, and in a detail/bodyshop washbay, so its quite dirty, although since my first visit, the owner detailed the boat and it looks 1000% better. Of course I didnt bring my camera back on the next visit.

The picture of the drive, I thought was the paint peeling... It is actually dust, and wipes right off. Nice and shiny when clean. I will post more pictures once I bring it home.

Any thoughts on maintenance to start with after the boat sitting for this long of a period? I am going to obviously change all fluids, drive water pump... What do you guys think about changing the bellows, gimbal bearings? Anything else???

Enjoy

Thanks in advance for any tips...

Last edited by SmurfOnABoat; 03-18-2009 at 06:20 PM.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:37 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it were me, I would:
Drain the fuel tank and fuel system before starting the motor.
Fresh, good quality fuel is your friend.
I'd probably just replace all the rubber fuel hoses.
If the engine is carbed, drain the carb bowl.
New water seperator and of course oil and filter.
New pump impeller.
Change the seawater intake hose from the transom assy. to the pump, and the short hose on the transom assy./helmut.
Grease the gimble bearing and the coupler splines.
Check everything that's rubber around the engine for cracking, dry rot, etc.
I would pull the spark plugs, and with a new battery turn the engine over until you have oil pressure, and then some more, before actually trying to start the engine.
Be prepared for oil leaks, etc. from dried out seals.
Check the bellows for softness/cracking as well as the shift boot.
Change the drive fluid.

There's a lot more that could/should be done, but this is a start for what I would do. There's some smart people here that can add more.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:29 PM
Registered

I seen that boat listed also. Seems like a great buy - enjoy.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:11 PM
Registered

Very nice boat! good luck with it.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:00 AM
Registered

Nice boat! I had a 95 272 loved it...Was a great boat..Hope I can catch up with you if you boat St.Clair
Old 04-23-2009, 11:32 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Seems like a really good buy IF the engine and drive are sound. Obviously the surveyor couldnt/didnt run the engine and check compression etc..How many hours on the motor?
Old 04-23-2009, 11:50 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Powerquest_Baby!!
Seems like a really good buy IF the engine and drive are sound. Obviously the surveyor couldnt/didnt run the engine and check compression etc..How many hours on the motor?
covered there. I am a mechanic (not marine) but yes the motor is solid, and has good compression in all cylinders. Drive I cant really speak for, but the fluid is good, and engagement in and out of F and R is smooth.

Gimbal and bellows are getting changed this weekend!
Old 04-23-2009, 11:50 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by irishtornado
Nice boat! I had a 95 272 loved it...Was a great boat..Hope I can catch up with you if you boat St.Clair
For sure, that is where I do most of my boating. Usually launch in the bay at the sheriffs launch on South River Rd
Old 04-23-2009, 12:40 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by SmurfOnAGixxer
For sure, that is where I do most of my boating. Usually launch in the bay at the sheriffs launch on South River Rd
Well might want to check this out might be something your interested in too then...

www.lakestclairrun.com/smf

Hope to catch up with you out on the water.
Old 04-23-2009, 05:22 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SmurfOnAGixxer
covered there. I am a mechanic (not marine) but yes the motor is solid, and has good compression in all cylinders. Drive I cant really speak for, but the fluid is good, and engagement in and out of F and R is smooth.

Gimbal and bellows are getting changed this weekend!
dont shift ,,,without engine runnng,,,could get shifter stuck in gear,,good luck and boat saftely

Quick Reply: Just bought a 1994 272..!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.