Trim Tabs and Strakes... >

Trim Tabs and Strakes...

Notices

Trim Tabs and Strakes...

Old 03-30-2009, 01:24 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trim Tabs and Strakes...

I have a new set of Lenco HD trim tabs that are 14W x 18D. In the Lenco instructions and elsewhere on the internet, it says to mount them at least 2" away from the nearest strake. If I start mine with the right edge matched up to the old insta-trim's edge, the left side of the tab is about an inch past the strake. I also read that a tab can straddle the strake with no problems. I'm understanding this to mean that the strake would be in the center of the tab. Does any of this sh*t really matter ? Baja mounted the insta-trims within an inch or so of the nearest strake and the boat seemed to run/handle fine until they started leaking. I'm installing them next weekend so any advice, as usual, is greatly appreciated. Oh yeah, one more thing...3m 4200 between tab and boat = good idea, yes ?

Thanks,

Rock
Old 03-30-2009, 01:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here are pics on a 2009 26 Outlaw, first two of tabs, last of indicator. Maybe this will help you??

WILL
Attached Thumbnails Trim Tabs and Strakes...-tab26.jpg   Trim Tabs and Strakes...-tab26a.jpg   Trim Tabs and Strakes...-26dash.jpg  

Old 03-31-2009, 08:32 AM
Registered

BajaWill,
I can't see under the tabs in the pics. Is there a strake under them ? Thanks for posting the pics.

Rock

Originally Posted by BAJA WILL
Here are pics on a 2009 26 Outlaw, first two of tabs, last of indicator. Maybe this will help you??

WILL
Old 03-31-2009, 01:11 PM
Custom Interiors & More

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocko C
BajaWill,
I can't see under the tabs in the pics. Is there a strake under them ? Thanks for posting the pics.

Rock
Rocko,

Trust me there is on Will's 26 Outlaw, but you say that you have the 25 Outlaw? There are 2 1/2 sets of strakes on the 26ol, but only 1 1/2 sets on your 25ol (per side)

Apples, and Oranges.....Here is the 25 Outlaw setup.

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

I hope these photos help better. Note: The shop in the background is a little more empty these days.

XT
Old 03-31-2009, 01:25 PM
Registered

From what I've read on all of the major trim tab manufacturer's websites, the inside edge of the tab should not be within 2" of the nearest strake. If it is "move the tab to the left until it covers the strake." This is exactly the situation I have so it's all good. Thanks all for your help.

Rock

Last edited by Rocko C; 03-31-2009 at 01:48 PM. Reason: Problem SOLVED
Old 03-31-2009, 03:03 PM
Custom Interiors & More

Yep, stay up from the bottom edge at least 1/2".

Lenco, Bennett, and Boat Leveler make more trim tab designs for cruisers than High Perf. boats, and in their instructions they mount the tabs close to the bottom edge. They also do the "Port Bow Down/Star Bow Down switch", and wiring. At Baja we liked to rig the smaller style tabs much like the K-Planes from Mercury Marine, and High Perf. boats. The tabs are mounted 3/4" to 1" from the bottom edge, and the Port switch works the Port Tab, and so forth. It gets confusing when a cruiser guy jumps into a go-fast for the first time.....

XT
Old 03-31-2009, 04:51 PM
Registered

What would be the advantage of mounting the tab parallel to the water and not the hull?
Old 03-31-2009, 05:09 PM
Custom Interiors & More

It is less effective at slower speeds, but causes less drag at higher speeds. Think of it to the extreme.....if the tabs were both placed back-to-back and running through the water, the wedge effect would slow the boat down. The increased angle, the more drag.

XT