Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Baja
WTF is there so much hook in bottom for? >

WTF is there so much hook in bottom for?

Notices

WTF is there so much hook in bottom for?

Old 07-02-2009, 11:29 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Baja_man
Dr Pete mentioned the raft off on the 8th....depending on work I should be there.
You really need to join the site bro...We're doing planning for it over there.
Old 08-26-2009, 07:00 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pwam1
IT, Prop work will help the porpoising A LOT!
There likely (I'm not a prop pro) isn't enough cup in the props to hold the bow up, so it holds then loses it, holds then loses it, ad infinitum.
I would call one of the pro prop folks we all talkl about here and see what they have to say.
I've had prop work done on a single eng Baja and it made a world of difference.
I hate to jump in at the end of this thread but this exact problem is the reason I found this great forum. I have a 96 TC 22 with 7.2L and Bravo I with a Mirage Plus 23P prop and I have an annoying porpoise between about 43-52 mph. I have tried all kinds of trim settings and weight changes and nothing seems to cure the problem. I am not sure about hook but do not have trim tabs. I would really like to get this fixed. I'm curious about how the prop tuning works to solve this problem, and what about adding trim tabs. Thanks for the help.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:19 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Ptrk99
I hate to jump in at the end of this thread but this exact problem is the reason I found this great forum. I have a 96 TC 22 with 7.2L and Bravo I with a Mirage Plus 23P prop and I have an annoying porpoise between about 43-52 mph. I have tried all kinds of trim settings and weight changes and nothing seems to cure the problem. I am not sure about hook but do not have trim tabs. I would really like to get this fixed. I'm curious about how the prop tuning works to solve this problem, and what about adding trim tabs. Thanks for the help.
Get a double cup on the prop. Also if you get the boat going faster it will lift out of the water and the wedges will be out of the water. Mine free's up after about 62.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:13 PM
Registered

Now this is some hook when you can see it!!!! This boat handles terrible and is hitting a wall for speed. It's a 03 29OL with HO's

Old 08-27-2009, 08:44 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by irishtornado
Now this is some hook when you can see it!!!! This boat handles terrible and is hitting a wall for speed. It's a 03 29OL with HO's

Those were built in a the factory to help "non boaters" get on plane. Your prop has to work twice as hard to keep the bow up at speed. Thats why Baja's need so much cup in the prop. Where are they in relation to the back of the boat? Are they the outer strakes or inners? A picture of the back of the whole transum would be good. If they are on the outers like mine they have less effect as speed increaces. Mine are out of the water at WOT.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:45 AM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

running 3 blades or 4 blades,,,,, 4's should do the trick

customer has a 302 he hates with 3 blade mirages on it,,,,, lent him my 4 blade labbed bravo 1's,,,,, he came back wanting to lend me his girlfriend in thanks !!!!!!!
Old 08-27-2009, 08:50 AM
Registered

That is the back of the boat the hook is 8-9" in from the transom. You can see the trim tabs. On a twin this area is still in the water when WOT. He is running 4blade 28's just like I am I don't have the handling issue, but it sure doesn't like to carry the bow. I'm having all my hook removed this winter and bottom blueprinted to sharpen the strakes and transom.
Old 08-27-2009, 06:06 PM
Registered

That is the back of the boat the hook is 8-9" in from the transom. You can see the trim tabs. On a twin this area is still in the water when WOT. He is running 4blade 28's just like I am I don't have the handling issue, but it sure doesn't like to carry the bow. I'm having all my hook removed this winter and bottom blueprinted to sharpen the strakes and transom.
Those are huge, I would think removing them would have to help. Make sure they are done correctly. Last year I guy had them removed along with the inner strakes and he had a hell of a mess.
Old 08-28-2009, 01:53 PM
Registered

Mine is scheduled to go to Ohio in the fall once I pull drives and engines.
Old 08-30-2009, 09:02 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

Mine is scheduled to go to Ohio in the fall once I pull drives and engines.
Going to Kevin? if so... good choice!

He did work for me, very happy!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.