Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Baja
WTF is there so much hook in bottom for? >

WTF is there so much hook in bottom for?

Notices

WTF is there so much hook in bottom for?

Old 06-14-2009, 11:00 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default WTF is there so much hook in bottom for?

Hey Baja guys any idea why theres so much hook built into the bottom of my 302? I put a 4' level on bottom and from edge of transom about 8" forward theres about 1/4 inch of air under the level. I understand a little built in, but damn thats gotta be slowing me down as well as part of the reason my boat likes to porpoise with alot of trim.

Can you guys shed a little light on it if I can take it out and it not effect the handling of the boat.

Thanks
Old 06-14-2009, 11:09 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats how baja pissed me off the first time. I guess fill it in or trade up. Do you have a poor fitting trailer or lift? water intrusion? good luck bro. over.
Old 06-15-2009, 01:27 AM
Registered

No I've got it sitting on a Eagle trailer has bunks everywhere. It did sit on a lift the 1st 2yrs of it's life, but it's uniformed on the hook. Basically from the V up to the last strake.
Old 06-15-2009, 07:36 AM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Dave,

The HOOK from what I understand set up for the beginner to be easy on plane and to actually reduce the porpoise and keep you on plane at lower speeds.

I had my hull blue printed and we took out the hook and removed the A/C fitting from the bottom. Here are the results I saw with the hook out.

1) On Plane time was pretty much the same with no noticable difference.

2) The speed was pretty much the same with maybe a 1 MPH gain. We did other improvements at the same time so it was hard to tell what the bottom added.

3) I developed a porpoise on flat water that I never had before at lower speeds say 50 to 55 MPH cruise.

The man to talk to about it is Kevin Brown at Lakeway Boat Repair just north of Bucyrus, Ohio.

Doc
Old 06-15-2009, 10:26 AM
Registered

Mark thanks for the info...Mine porpoises at lower speeds as well when I trim up. If I run the tabs down and trim down it won't do it. I'm thinking this is part of the problem...It also is hard to get on plane without using the tabs. Reason for my other thread about the extension boxes. Boat likes to shoot the moon when I'm running.
Old 06-15-2009, 01:17 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Originally Posted by irishtornado
Mark thanks for the info...Mine porpoises at lower speeds as well when I trim up. If I run the tabs down and trim down it won't do it. I'm thinking this is part of the problem...It also is hard to get on plane without using the tabs. Reason for my other thread about the extension boxes. Boat likes to shoot the moon when I'm running.
Dave I am confused?

If what I understand about the hook is correct it should have solved the issues you have instead of maybe contributing to them. Are you sure that you are not just over trimming?

When my boat starts to porpoise I just drop the drives a notch and the bow settles down. Again I only see it at lower speeds and when on smooth water.

I would definately call Kevin at Lakeway and discuss this with him.
Old 06-15-2009, 02:34 PM
Registered

Yea it does the opposite of what its suppose to do. Don't think it's over trimming because everything other than full in causes it to do it. Reason I'm trying the extension boxes with shorties to get props into cleaner water. I plan to give him a call, but this great economy has caused me to put a couple projects on hold right now.
Old 06-15-2009, 03:08 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by irishtornado
Yea it does the opposite of what its suppose to do. Don't think it's over trimming because everything other than full in causes it to do it. Reason I'm trying the extension boxes with shorties to get props into cleaner water. I plan to give him a call, but this great economy has caused me to put a couple projects on hold right now.
Irish,

Do you notice the porpoise when you have more people in the boat? My 302 is fine with 4 people and is fine with more if some are in the cabin, but when I have 6 people in the cockpit, I have to work to keep the porpoise out.

I'm going to the KY Lake Poker Run this weekend, so while I have my boat on the trailer, I'm going to check for hook.
Old 06-15-2009, 04:29 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by TCBoss302
Irish,

Do you notice the porpoise when you have more people in the boat? My 302 is fine with 4 people and is fine with more if some are in the cabin, but when I have 6 people in the cockpit, I have to work to keep the porpoise out.

I'm going to the KY Lake Poker Run this weekend, so while I have my boat on the trailer, I'm going to check for hook.
Doesn't matter if it's 2 or 8 it does it all the time...I just thought it was the boat til I saw that much hook in the bottom...I can tell you it's coming out this fall..
Old 06-15-2009, 09:38 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IT, Prop work will help the porpoising A LOT!
There likely (I'm not a prop pro) isn't enough cup in the props to hold the bow up, so it holds then loses it, holds then loses it, ad infinitum.
I would call one of the pro prop folks we all talkl about here and see what they have to say.
I've had prop work done on a single eng Baja and it made a world of difference.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.