Low Water Pressure ? >

Low Water Pressure ?

Notices

Low Water Pressure ?

Old 06-23-2009, 11:19 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low Water Pressure ?

I just posted this in the (Drives / Lower Units) section but thought maybe it might be a Baja related problem. Just looking for a fix so I can run my boat in rough water.

I have a 05 33 Outlaw with 496 HO's (70 hrs on engines). It has been in the shop numerous times for the starboard engine going into guardian mode when running in rough water trimmed out some and at speeds above 60 mph. The problem never occurs as long as I am running in smooth water. It is not the rev limitor. This last time Marine Max of Clear Lake, Texas said they had finally found problem ( water pressure sensor). Same problem again a week later while running in rough water. Back to the shop again. They put it in the water again yesterday and made numerous passes in smooth water and found no problems (had lap top plugged in to collect data). They then had to make only one pass in rough water for alarm and guardian mode to cut in. They say low pressure points appeared on readout. The water pressure sensor had been replaced the week before as they thought that was the problem. Now they want to change out the impeller. There has never been an overheating problem. Any ideas or suggestions before I go and replace something else that might or might not correct this problem
Old 06-23-2009, 07:55 PM
VIP Member

They need to check for a restriction in the water flow path. Since there is a sensor, does it tell you what the actual water pressure is or just that it is dropping below a certain threshold.
Old 06-23-2009, 09:57 PM
Registered

check for air geting into the system I would bet your seapump housing is scored its brass , once this happens it will cavitate and heat up there is a rebiult kit 165.00 if your marina changed a sensor before checking the the seapump i would ask for the old sensor its still good, your impellor will look ok but its not kit come with everything you need 412781-0881Bob
Old 06-24-2009, 10:01 AM
Registered

The engine has never ran hot. I can idle around Clear Lake all day and never see a temp. increase. I ran it this past weekend on the San Jacinto river and never had a problem. If I get out in the bay and there is some chop it's going to to go in alarm. Per the tech. at Marine Max, he also thinks it's picking up air from the outdrive and causing a low pressure spike.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:06 AM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by crayolacrazy
check for air geting into the system I would bet your seapump housing is scored its brass , once this happens it will cavitate and heat up there is a rebiult kit 165.00 if your marina changed a sensor before checking the the seapump i would ask for the old sensor its still good, your impellor will look ok but its not kit come with everything you need 412781-0881Bob
+1

I change the housing and impeller every season and no issues. If it has not been changed with 70 hours that is what your problem it. These boats are built to air out and I have never heard of that being a problem.

Good luck
Old 06-30-2009, 08:09 AM
Registered

We need to talk!! I have a 2004 30 Outlaw with 496's and I have had the same problem over the past few years. It ONLY does it on my port engine when I do poker runs (high speeds in really rough water/prop wash). The rest of the time, throught the entire season the boat is fine, WOT, kinda rough, runs fine. It's only in poker run settings/lot of boats where this happens. It's very incidental. I replaced both impellors (did not replace housings but they looked ok). It had 140hrs, they were not worn a bit. After that, boat ran great all summer, until 1,000 islands, then did it again. After that, I tried swapped sensors, boat ran great until this weekend at our run, did it again, still port engine.

I have been told three different things:

1) I'm getting too much air and there is nothing I can do, stop going fast in poker runs.
2) The brass housing needs to be replaced as this actually wears and can cause airation (I would think it would do it all the time if this was the case, and on both engines)
3) X-dim is too high and I should plug a couple of holes on the side of the gear case to prevent airation when leaving the water.

Please give me a call as I would like to trouble shoot this.
Joe (518) 774-4067

Doc, these are 496's we are talking about, very specific issue as they have a sensor right on the sea water pump that is way too sensitive, and causing these issues.
Old 06-30-2009, 05:25 PM
Registered

I had a issue similiar. My water pressure was high though. I have a smartcraft to view H20 pressure though. My port engine would go into guardian mode as well. My issue was the oil cooler was plugged. I pulled the right hose off the exchanger(when looking at it from the front) and then the rear most hose off the oil cooler and flushed backed wiggeling my finger in the oil cooler. Lots of seaweed etc came out.

I have replaced both my water sensors....expensive little buggers 100.00 a piece. You would think maybe a 20.00 sensor.

Before I cleaned the coolers I did change both impellors. Both were still in good shpae and kept them as emergency spares.

Just another ave to look at.

If I didnt mention. This happened when running WOT and trimmed out is when guardian mode would kick in .
Temp guages never over heated but my water restiction was always there.
The restriction was after the guage so it displayed high water pressure. 30 PSI vs about 20 at WOT.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:08 PM
Registered

I chased this problem for two years , If you can feel the scores in the brass pump It needs a re biuld kit the impeller cavitates creats air pocket in the heat exchanger and the only way to get rid of it is to stop shut down then primes up system by starting engine . If your seapump is perfect, look for loose hose clamps somewhere airs getting in check fresh water flush on the Bajas they use plastic 90 behind hose bib and it loosens up check heat exchanger if theres one tube blocked that will cause these symtoms also heat exchanger gaskets only last about 100hrs if they are sucked in this could let air in also I really noticed this when I put cmi exhaust on the boat I would see white smoke /steam after hard run You guys could have more than one of these issues at once ,for instance if the air is getting in before sea pump it will wipe out the pump,cause those little scores I mentioned even if the impeller looks good its not feel free to call or call R&R industries In lake havasu

Last edited by crayolacrazy; 06-30-2009 at 08:21 PM.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:24 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by bowtye8
I had a issue similiar. My water pressure was high though. I have a smartcraft to view H20 pressure though. My port engine would go into guardian mode as well. My issue was the oil cooler was plugged. I pulled the right hose off the exchanger(when looking at it from the front) and then the rear most hose off the oil cooler and flushed backed wiggeling my finger in the oil cooler. Lots of seaweed etc came out.

I have replaced both my water sensors....expensive little buggers 100.00 a piece. You would think maybe a 20.00 sensor.

Before I cleaned the coolers I did change both impellors. Both were still in good shpae and kept them as emergency spares.

Just another ave to look at.

If I didnt mention. This happened when running WOT and trimmed out is when guardian mode would kick in .
Temp guages never over heated but my water restiction was always there.
The restriction was after the guage so it displayed high water pressure. 30 PSI vs about 20 at WOT.
your issues seam to be from resriction after it was cleaned out it should of went away correct
Old 06-30-2009, 08:38 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Callaway
The engine has never ran hot. I can idle around Clear Lake all day and never see a temp. increase. I ran it this past weekend on the San Jacinto river and never had a problem. If I get out in the bay and there is some chop it's going to to go in alarm. Per the tech. at Marine Max, he also thinks it's picking up air from the outdrive and causing a low pressure spike.
If it was X dimention problem this would happend to both engines shrink wrap tape the holes on the side of your outdrive aslong as you have low water pick up also and go out in in the chop and see if it go,s away The sea pump doesnt cavitate until higher rpms

Last edited by crayolacrazy; 06-30-2009 at 08:42 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.