Thoughts on this blown 92 Outlaw 24 >

Thoughts on this blown 92 Outlaw 24

Notices

Thoughts on this blown 92 Outlaw 24

Old 07-10-2009, 01:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thoughts on this blown 92 Outlaw 24

I'm waiting to hear more information on the motor. Looks pretty nice. What do you all think about the price? Anything I should be concerned about outside the ordinary? Don't know much about blown motors - what should I ask/check for there?

http://www.exoticinventoryliquidator...2eec1219ec628#
Old 07-10-2009, 01:58 PM
jfm
Registered

I saw that when it was for sale for 22K. Looks nice and the price is good in my opinion. I would just have it looked at, engine and rot. the older outlaws stringers and transoms are always rotten since they never glassed any drain holes. So unless it has been redone or never in rain or water I would bet it is water logged. Plus you don't put a blower on it for show.
Old 07-10-2009, 03:02 PM
Registered

Find my thread on here call So it begins...A rebuild thread.

My is a 240, same hull as a 24 Outlaw, only 4 years older and it was rotten from head to toe. My advice would be to look it over verrrry well. Check the transom, check the bulkhead in front of the engine (although it may have been moved to fit the blower) and pull up the gas tank cover and look at the stringers that run up to the bow. Not one piece of super-structure on my boat wasn't wet or rotten. NOT ONE!!!
Old 07-10-2009, 04:07 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by c_deezy
Find my thread on here call So it begins...A rebuild thread.

My is a 240, same hull as a 24 Outlaw, only 4 years older and it was rotten from head to toe. My advice would be to look it over verrrry well. Check the transom, check the bulkhead in front of the engine (although it may have been moved to fit the blower) and pull up the gas tank cover and look at the stringers that run up to the bow. Not one piece of super-structure on my boat wasn't wet or rotten. NOT ONE!!!
Point taken. I just got ahold of the dealer and the salesman claims everything is solid & dry. I will still inspect everything when I see it. He said he already had a deposit on the boat & was waiting for the financing to come through, but said the customer might not get the financing. I'm waiting to see if that falls through. Any other things I should check on? Mainly I want some thoughts/opinions on the motor/blower. I don't know much about those. How many hours can I expect with that motor? What kind of problems should I expect and more importantly BUDGET for Thanks guys!
Old 07-10-2009, 04:09 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is one sweet looking ride for the money.
Old 07-10-2009, 06:45 PM
Registered

Check any hole in any structure you can find. Fuel hose to tank hole in the bulkhead, any drain holes drilled in the stringers. Knock any stringer/bulkhead you can get to as well as the transom and listen for a dull sound. Check the 'shelves' in the bilge where the batteris and trim pump are mounted, make sure they haven't delaminated. Check the floor under the bolsters for sponginess. Unless they drastically changed the design from mine the floor is only 1/2 thick and only supported by two-part foam.

But it does look like a good looking boat. And the 24 is a nice hull, mine runs (ran) good out on Lake Erie. And after I get it back together it should be a tank, but if I knew then what I know now to look for, I would have saved myself a huge hassle.
Old 07-11-2009, 12:30 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Looks like a wild ride,plan on paying cash for it or lying to your insurance company if financing it though because you will NEVER get insurance on it. It needs full hydraulic steering on it too,kinda lame how someone put 2 steering stabilizers on it to mimic hydraulic steering,Smitty
Old 07-11-2009, 10:52 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by articfriends
you will NEVER get insurance on it.
Is it because it's too old and/or the blower? I was wondering about that. I've got the cash, but would rather finance part of it. Any insurance companies specialize in older boats?
Old 07-11-2009, 09:45 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by articfriends
Looks like a wild ride,plan on paying cash for it or lying to your insurance company if financing it though because you will NEVER get insurance on it. It needs full hydraulic steering on it too,kinda lame how someone put 2 steering stabilizers on it to mimic hydraulic steering,Smitty
the steering hahaha, check what everone said to check mine is a 88, I had to replace the shelfs in the bilge, and am now doing the bulkhead where the gas tank is also changed the center floor in 01. get a small hammer tap listen for the flat sound or your knuckle will do go in the cabin and check the deck around where the hatches are water can get in there or where the grab rails are I had that redone to but there a kick ass hull blow my friends 24superboat away he has 70hp less and 1000lbs less . what motor does it have and who built it??, my stringers seem to be fine.

Last edited by AIR TIME; 07-13-2009 at 03:37 AM. Reason: deck sounds better
Old 07-12-2009, 12:07 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by gettin wet
Is it because it's too old and/or the blower? I was wondering about that. I've got the cash, but would rather finance part of it. Any insurance companies specialize in older boats?
Insurance companies that insure sportboat's like these (allstate,state farm and progressive) have no interest in insuring anything that goes over 75 mph , has more than 500 hp or is over 20 years old. Lets say you choose to just tell them this boat has a stock engine,they will insure it but if you have any kind of claim the adjuster is going to see the giant roots blower and then deny your claim anyways. Lets say you find one of the high perf insurance companies that insure fast boats,if they would insure it which I doubt,your premiums would be 3500-5000$ a year minimum.
It seems like a good deal,pay cash for it then have fun beating on it,I would,Smitty

Last edited by articfriends; 07-14-2009 at 01:10 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.