Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Baja
Anyone with a 30 OL install Raylar BCK103 kits on your engines? >

Anyone with a 30 OL install Raylar BCK103 kits on your engines?

Notices

Anyone with a 30 OL install Raylar BCK103 kits on your engines?

Old 07-26-2009, 09:14 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone with a 30 OL install Raylar BCK103 kits on your engines?

Just curious what your gains were over the stock 496 HO's
Old 07-29-2009, 01:14 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Hope this helps.....

We have 2 "new" similar 2010 Sunsations 32'. One has the stock Merc 496 Mag HO's, and the other has 496's with the Raylar 525 kits. The stock HO boat runs 86.7 mph - top speed and the Raylar boat runs 91.6 - top speed. The mid range is much stronger (most impressive difference) on the Raylar boat, and the low end is very similar to one another.

I would guestimate if you were to do this kit on a (stock set up) Baja 30' O/L, you would pick up (an honest) 4 MPH. The Baja's hull design will take a little more hp's to gain the speeds, over some other stepped hull designs - Don't take me wrong, as I don't mean this as a negative thing.

We've set up a-lot of 30' O/L's, with the proper set up and some minor changes, we've seen (an honest) 80+ MPH speeds out of that boat with HO's. Therefore if you were to decide on the Raylars and do some minor changes, I could see your boat capable of running in the mid 80 MPH's.

I'm interested in hearing what you decide.
Old 07-29-2009, 03:12 PM
Charter Member # 90
Charter Member

What was the proper set up and minor changes that you did to the stock 30OL?

thanks,
Shoe
Old 07-29-2009, 03:27 PM
Registered

Received 62 Likes on 17 Posts

Prop changes (high pitch, lab finished) , X dimension, (drive height) delete cabin options and weight from boat. This is what we have done to get a 30 to an honest 80.

Boat 4 fun might have more tweaks
Old 07-29-2009, 04:59 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Straight from Baja the "typical" 30' O/L w/ HO's runs "around" 75 / 76 MPH (pending options / extras / conditions / sea level / etc)

Inward Prop Rotation / 28" Lab Finished Props / PCM's (re-calibrate) / Bottom (straight edge / fix all dings - nicks - scuffs - high / low spots - sharpen all edges) / Thru-Hull Exhaust (remove muffler systems) / Additional Air Intakes (into engine compartment)

- Hook up scan tool > Delete all previous codes / make certain throttles are opening 100%.

- Go through drives and make certain cambered correctly. Baja usually had the drives towed in from the factory. We liked to set them at straight, or (towed out a hair - bringing the props closer together), this way if flex occurs, it brings back to straight.

With everything done (correctly), is "usually" good for 2-3 MPH.

Also, we "typically" had our X dimensions raised from the factory (pending the customers wants & where the boat was being used). This was "usually" good for 1 MPH over stock.

* This isn't the perfect set up for everyone, nor is it going to be the fastest set up in every area, this is good for top speeds, on smooth to 2' choppy conditions, in our specific area / conditions.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

200 horsepower improvement and only gained 4mph. Were the ecm's reprogrammed or stock?
Old 07-30-2009, 12:30 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink A guy I know said a guy he knows had a buddy!! WTF

Somebody is dishing out bad info here. The 30ft. Outlaws that have done Raylar 525 kits have seen everywhere from 7-10mph increase when everything on the props and bottoms are right.
Call me and I give you the phone numbers of 30ft Baja owners with real world results. Funny how there are all these all of a sudden experts on this site with all our results?? Some Baja hulls depending on year and models did have some pretty nasty hooks on the bottom and believe me when I say until you have a good bottom you can throw big horsepower at any hull and end up with lousey results. As most know in performance boating there are a lot of factors beyond power that determine boat speed, performance and handling!!

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 07-30-2009, 04:22 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Raylar
Somebody is dishing out bad info here. The 30ft. Outlaws that have done Raylar 525 kits have seen everywhere from 7-10mph increase when everything on the props and bottoms are right.
Call me and I give you the phone numbers of 30ft Baja owners with real world results. Funny how there are all these all of a sudden experts on this site with all our results?? Some Baja hulls depending on year and models did have some pretty nasty hooks on the bottom and believe me when I say until you have a good bottom you can throw big horsepower at any hull and end up with lousey results. As most know in performance boating there are a lot of factors beyond power that determine boat speed, performance and handling!!

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
I agree. I am blue printing the bottom of mine this winter and taking the hook out.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:06 AM
Registered

Any idea what kind of numbers could be attained with a Baja 405?

Originally Posted by Raylar

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 08-01-2009, 03:10 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Ray, I didn't mean anything bad by my information. I'm just saying it they way I "personally" see it. I think 4-5 MPH "real speed" incresse is a-lot. I also said it was a guesstimate, as I have not done a 30' O/L with your motors.

I am simpily going off of our boat we have in stock right now, which I had your motors installed - 2010 Sunsation - 32' w/ Twin Raylar 525's. We just sold an identical boat w/ HO's, and there is about 5 MPH difference between the 2 boats.

Also, I am extremly happy with my choice of Raylar motors, a 32' Boat that runs above 90 MPH is very impressive!!

Sorry if that came across badly. This is why I don't like to post anything, to many variables.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.