Bottom Blueprinting >

Bottom Blueprinting

Notices

Bottom Blueprinting

Old 08-04-2009, 07:12 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bottom Blueprinting

I know this subject has been brought up somewhere, but I couldn't find it. Anyway how much does it tipically cost, and what could I pick up? We have went over the entire bottom of my boat with sandpaper to smooth everything out. We found alot of little imperfections. Does it affect handling?
Old 08-04-2009, 08:06 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

Good question...

Who does it in south Florida and what does it typically cost? How soon can they do it...
Old 08-04-2009, 10:33 PM
Registered

I know I'm looking at doing it to mine this winter..
Old 08-05-2009, 12:31 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

The amount of speed increase will depend on the condition of your bottom. If you have a-lot of imperfections (high / low spots / hooks / scratches / dings), the worse it is, "usually" the better the speed increase. Along with fixing the imperfections, all the edges / strakes get sharpened. Typically you will want to do from the windscreen back on your bottom.

The cost will "usually" depend on what needs to be done and the amount of time that is spent on it. I highly someone (reputable) that has done this type of work before, because it is easier to mess this up, than it is to gain any speeds.

I know a couple of guys that do this - Jason Bilmeyer is from Dubuque, Iowa (in the summer) / Ft Myers, FL (in the winter) - Kevin Brown (from Ohio) - Mark Rolling (from Kansas City, MO) - Dean Rynolds (from Ohio, he works for Checkmate). They all have done jobs for us, they all do great work, & they are all very familiar with the Baja's hull design. Many of the boat manufactures will also do this type of work (during the slow season). I am sure there's others that do great work also, I am just throwing out the names of the people who's work I've seen.

Kevin Brown did a notched transom w/ a padded bottom on a 30' O/L (w/ HO's) for us that runs 82 MPH, and he did our 35' O/L (w/ 700's) that runs 103+ MPH. Jason Billmeyer is the one that ran Poker Face / Lucky 7's / Split Decision, he did 2 Baja 35 O/L's (w/ 525's) that run 85+ MPH, and a 33' O/L (w/ 525's) that runs near 85 MPH.

You can see gains from 1-3 MPH, and this will improve the handling of your boat also (pending on your bottom, the condition it's in, and the quality of the work that is done).
Old 08-05-2009, 12:38 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check with Tre Martin.

Originally Posted by Keith Atlanta
Good question...

Who does it in south Florida and what does it typically cost? How soon can they do it...
Old 08-05-2009, 01:32 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Lakeway Boat Repair

North of Bucyrus Ohio

Kevin Brown

He does the finest fiberglass work I have seen to date and he KNOWS what a boat needs to run properly.

I paid $3K back a few years ago with a guy in Jacksonville, FL and got 1 MPH. I know my money would have been better spent with Kevin.
Old 08-05-2009, 01:36 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Dock, who did you pay in Jax FL, im looking to do some bottom work and notch work, you cna email me if you want, scb24(@)hotmail.com
Old 08-05-2009, 02:39 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Originally Posted by Boomer35
Dock, who did you pay in Jax FL, im looking to do some bottom work and notch work, you cna email me if you want, scb24(@)hotmail.com
Dave Turner

T & T Fiberglass Co
4801 Bowden Rd
Jacksonville, FL 32216-5904

(904) 733-4788‎

He is a great guy and can do magic on fiberglass repairs but I not sure of his ability on blueprinting. Give him a call and decide for yourself. Tell him "Dock Holiday" says hello.
Old 08-05-2009, 08:21 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Anybody in south Florida?
Old 08-07-2009, 10:41 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Nobody in south florida does this?