290 MotorYacht owners >

290 MotorYacht owners

Notices

290 MotorYacht owners

Old 09-29-2009, 10:31 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Is there an floor access panel that's under the carpet in the main part of the cabin?

The beast:

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 12-02-2011 at 11:12 AM.
Old 09-29-2009, 11:53 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is no access without tearing up the carpet. Just had mine surveyed today, and that's what surveyor told me. He said if we replace carpet, to put in snaps for access. Don't know why Baja wouldn't have thought of that....
Old 09-30-2009, 06:04 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

So there is an access panel under the carpeting? Do you know what is under it?

I would have been surprised if there wasn't, but the fastened down carpeting kinda made me think there wasn't. I can feel what feels like a joint under the carpet. Just figured it was either a panel covered up or a joint in the flooring.
Thanks
Old 10-01-2009, 12:16 AM
Registered

The surveryor told me he thought there was an access panel. He was tapping around in there with a little hammer and thought he could feel/hear it through the carpet. He said the macerator pump was in there....
What size props do you have? I have 3 blade 19's and I'm thinking about 4 blade 18's like Paul said in a previous post.
Thanks
Craig
Old 10-02-2009, 11:22 AM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

I know the area your suryeror is thinking. Mine has an edge that feels like a panel not sitting flush. But I can tap on the floor everywhere and it all sounds the same, a slight rattleing. My carpet is glued down, so not wanting to peel it back just yet. My boat doesn't have a mac. pump, just striaght into the holding tank. Also just pulls water from the freshwater, so not a thru hull there for supply. Guess I'll check into it this winter just for curiosity.

No idea on props other than 3 bladers. That's an area that I'm going to looking into also. The time to plane is a lot more than I feel it should. Maybe needs alot of weight stuffed under the front bed to keep the nose down. A buddy has a 32 Regal with 350's, but B3. His boat never points up and runs flat as can be, plus faster. But his has a 50 gal freshwater tank in the nose along with 200' of anchor chain. Sure that's the ticket!.
Old 10-02-2009, 10:45 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I changed my carpet, and I don't remember any access panel. It was plywood but with fiberglass skinned on top, so had a ruff surface, and the plywood joints were not smooth. The Macerator, if it has one, is in front of the waste tank, and would spit out on th stbd side. In the aft cabin, above the stbd bench in the storage cavity, the main back panel comes out (screwed in, gotta dig in the carpt along edges to find the screws), then remove the ends, then remove the bottom and you can get in there. In fact I changed my whole waste tank and it took an afternoon to do. I don't think there's anything under the floor. I found everyting I ever needed along the sides
Old 10-04-2009, 08:46 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Thanks Paul. Yeah, I have had my SB side storage compartment out to install a holding tank vent line odor filter. All is pretty accessible from there for the holding tank system. That must be a joint that I'm feeling then in the floor that might be coming apart. Wife want's new carpet, so I'll redo that floor joint then.
Were your 4 bladed props AL? Don't know if they make that. A dealer told me SS props create a corrosion situation with teh AL drive housing for boats that stay in water full time. So thinking I might need to be looking for AL props.

Thanks for your info!

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 10-04-2009 at 08:50 PM.
Old 10-04-2009, 11:54 PM
Registered

If you pull your carpet, let me know what you find under there. According to Paul there's nothing, so maybe ours are the same. My carpet is in great shape and really don't want to tear it out.
When we surveyed her, the lower units were corroded beyond repair. Surveyor said the stainless props added to the problem, and that alum would be better since the boat is in the water year around here in CA. I have 3 blade 19 stainless on there now, and if I tab it down she planes fairly quickly even though I have a genny as well mounted in front of the 350 mags. 3400 was around 34 mph and she topped at 49 trimmed out. Cool boat.....
Old 10-07-2009, 10:27 PM
Registered

I bought some "no name" SS props from ebay. They were ony like $240 each new (and they had a bit of rust on them already too). But I am in fresh water here, has SS props on for 2 years and no extra corrosion problems.
I've never heard that SS props cause the drive to corrode more, not around here in fresh water. That's interesting because your prop shafts are SS in the drives. They wee 17P and will give you great hole shot for a big boat, and maintain that midrange. in fact 3400 for me was like 36-37.
And see just a little tab and she runs good. The slight porpose can be handled when you know the tricks.
Tip -If you have the old factory batt charger -double check the ground wire connection is clear of the hot ones. Mince was not warapped around the post tight, it moved somehow, and at the dock started the red lead to far battery on fire with a short! Talk about a scarry situation -when wiring starts buring up and you can't even see exactly where or why.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:31 PM
Registered

For the corrosion protection, ask around to see if shore power galvanic isolators help. Most newer boats have them. Do some reasearch as to what they do. Can be $400 to $600 but might save a pair of drives later. And make sure the MerCathode system is working to (presuming it has it). And of course make sure you hvae the correct anodes. Salt water uses different material ones than fresh water.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.