20 Outlaw - 5.0 MPI vs. 350 MAG MPI >

20 Outlaw - 5.0 MPI vs. 350 MAG MPI

Notices

20 Outlaw - 5.0 MPI vs. 350 MAG MPI

Old 08-19-2009, 09:29 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 20 Outlaw - 5.0 MPI vs. 350 MAG MPI

Starting to throw around the idea of upgrading the power in my 20 Outlaw. Just curious if anyone has any experience with both of these engine options. Speed difference, mid-range punch and out of the hole acceleration. Will there be any problems with the Alpha drive? I've decided that I am not ready to upgrade to a bigger boat yet and would like to get the most out of my boat now.

What could I get for my extremely clean, well maintained 5.0? Trying to figure out how much it is going to cost.

Thanks in advance...Rob
Old 08-19-2009, 02:18 PM
Registered

I'm not sure how much a 350 mag would pick it up but i will say those boats really surprise me how well they run. I would run that motor until you have problems with it. I wouldn't think you could get much out of it. I would think the alpha would be fine though. Good luck!
Old 08-19-2009, 04:06 PM
Registered

I agree 100% it is amazing what these boats do, given the power but to me out of the hole, it just needs that little bit more to get it moving. It's not bad when it is just me and the wife, but once I get another couple involved and the conditions aren't optimal, its a pain to get on plane. I have upgraded the prop and has helped out some, but I like the top end and mid-range punch that it has. I think that the extra 40 hp would give it the little boost down low that it needs.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:26 AM
Registered

That particular "upgrade" was worth 5+mph on the 202; suspect you'd see similar results. Yes, it's only 40 extra hp but the 350mag powered 202 I drove was like night and day compared to our 5.0mpi powered 202. It was somewhat quicker out of the hole but a noticeable difference at midrange speeds and higher.

Talk to 202350mag (Terry) on TBM. I think his boat is running in the upper 60's now but was mid-60's right off the showroom floor.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:44 AM
Registered

I was thinking the same thing. Like I said, given the power of the boat now, it's impressive, but I just want that little extra power without sacrificing the reliability of the motor.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:02 AM
Registered

Save your money for alcohol research, probably not worth the time unless you get top $ out of your 5.0.

Sell the 20 at the end of the season and picked up a nice used H2X. Ive seen some smokin deals on H2X's and the old HAMMERS lately.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:27 AM
Custom Interiors & More

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We built a "special" 20ol for the then president of Baja with the 350 Mag. and loaded it with every option we could think of including trim tabs, amps, subs, extra battery, Q&Q exhaust, Livorsi shifter, and was the first boat with the alum. swim. It ran dead even with a stock 5.0 MPI boat right off the production line. The difference was the drive ratio went from 1.62 to 1.48 on the Mag. You may get better speed using the same drive that came with the 5.0 MPI? Cost, and the fact that the 5.0's run so strong in the 20ol's is why we never offered the package until 2007.
Old 08-20-2009, 05:17 PM
Registered

If your going to upgrade motors for a bit more HP and torque, get a 454 that can be had for cheap$$$$. Keep the 305 for resale. Be easy on take off and you should see real speed and take off gains.