How Much To Spend On Trailer? >

How Much To Spend On Trailer?

Notices

How Much To Spend On Trailer?

Old 09-02-2009, 11:05 AM
Registered

Received 63 Likes on 28 Posts
Default How Much To Spend On Trailer?

I have a 1998 29 Outlaw with 7.4 MPI's. The boat has about 220 hours on it. I love the boat and it does everything pretty well for my needs.

I would like the boat to be a bit faster (75 - 80MPH) but with the low hours I don't want to replace or mod the motors and it is very reliable right now. It is also fairly economical to run (for a performance boat). I would love to upgrade to a bigger faster boat someday but then who doesn't?

So, I have resisted dumping a bunch of $ into it to make it faster figuring I can save it for my next boat purchase.

But I need a new trailer. My steel trailer is okay but I am dunking in salt and want an aluminum one. I can spend around 5$K to get a basic tandem axle adjustable aluminum trailer.

Or I can get a basic I beam and add the options I want: elec/hydro brakes, alloy wheels, sealed bearings, guide-ons, tongue ladder, etc. and add a couple grand to the price so $7K to $8K.

Or I can get a really nice custom built for the boat C channel, triple axle with all the options for around $10K. I stopped by the factory and they are every bit as nice as a Myco.

I don't know if I will really ever be able to upgrade to say a 36 Outlaw or a 38 Top Gun but if I do it will be several years down the road.

Trying to decide which trailer to get. I am leaning towards the nice one and figure if I'm going to spend $7K to $8K, I might as well spend a little more and get everything I want. I don't want a "but" trailer and say, "I like this trailer BUT I wish I had gotten the other one".

I figure due to the current market, I'm already upside down in the boat and don't want to over invest in it. On the other hand, I figure I'm married to it now as I really couldn't sell it anyway.
Old 09-02-2009, 02:56 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I priced a new trailer built the way I wanted it. Steel, triple axle,16" 10 ply tires, 2 spares, disc on all 3 wheels, LED lights, electric over hydraulic brake controls, all the good stuff. $10k was where I told him to quit calculating.
I rebuilt my trailer for $2500 + $1800 for 8 new wheels & 10 ply tires. The $2500 covered all new electric drum brakes, new bearings, structural work to the trailer to stiffen it up & allow for the larger tire/wheel combination, a belly mount spare tire rack, new wiring, new LED lights, sandblasting & new paint.
Attached Thumbnails How Much To Spend On Trailer?-100_3865a.jpg   How Much To Spend On Trailer?-100_3871a.jpg  
Old 09-02-2009, 03:16 PM
Never Enuff
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DON'T be thrifty on your trailer!!!! It's no fun watching your trailer pass you on the highway or changing a flat on a busy highway with people going by at 70+mph. Too much is way better than too little when it comes to trailers. IMO
Jay
P.S. Nice looking trailer Jason--looks like they did a good job
Old 09-02-2009, 03:55 PM
Registered

How bad of shape is your current trailer actually in? If there is nothing really wrong with your trailer currently, why worry about it? Seal up all the places where salt-water could get into the tubes and use it until it really becomes necessary to replace.
Old 09-02-2009, 04:24 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by c_deezy
How bad of shape is your current trailer actually in? If there is nothing really wrong with your trailer currently, why worry about it? Seal up all the places where salt-water could get into the tubes and use it until it really becomes necessary to replace.
My trailer isn't bad but I'm thinking I should switch over to aluminum before mine deteriorates and isn't worth anything. It is a steel triple axle with surge drum brakes.

Jason, your trailer looks awesome (as expected)! I have thought about going that route too but don't know if I want to invest that money into the steel trailer. I would like to convert to hydr/elec disk set up with sealed hubs and larger wheels. I could do all the work myself and just have to buy parts but we're still taking quite a bit of coin. Then every time I dunk the trailer I'm going to worry about the frame rust. I guess I can just blast it and repaint or powder coat every few years?

There is also the weight difference. If I had a diesel truck I it would be different but with an 8.1 I don't have the torque or engine braking. It pulls just fine but the trans kicks down and engine revs to 4K going up the big grades unless I slow way down (and who wants to do that? )

Last edited by BajaFresh; 09-02-2009 at 04:27 PM.
Old 09-02-2009, 05:57 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bajafresh- I purchased my 29ol with a steel trailer. In 6 mths it was junk and I fell I am anel when it coms to cleaning.
When you launch your boat and park the trailer for the day its sits in the sun baking and the salt eating away. I was was goign out about avg twice a month.

I bought one of the cheaper alum traliers(Fast load) I did triple disl brake and SS hardware. ALum wheels and spare. 5900.00. I was supposed to get a 1000.00 for my steel trailer on trade(sight unseen) After we swapped the boat to the new trailer my steel tralier was broken down the middle. Basically in 2 pieces. He said it was junk. Which it was. He gave me 500.00 off basically for the alum wheels I had on it. The rest he was going to scrap.

My Trailer for my 35 I ordered. More heavy duty. Full SS brakes,LED lights, alum wheels +spare, Elect over Hdy brake, etc. about 11k.

For a 29 you shouldd be able to price new in the range of 5-6k. Its all on the options like Jason mentioned.
Old 09-02-2009, 06:04 PM
Registered

I remember one of my first times in Ft Myers at the ramp and a guy just shaking his head and laughing. He said "you guys from up north with your painted steel trailers"! A day or two later and I knew what he meant! Trailer aged 5 yrs in 2 days!
Old 09-02-2009, 10:26 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by bowtye8
Bajafresh- I purchased my 29ol with a steel trailer. In 6 mths it was junk and I fell I am anel when it coms to cleaning.
When you launch your boat and park the trailer for the day its sits in the sun baking and the salt eating away. I was was goign out about avg twice a month.

I bought one of the cheaper alum traliers(Fast load) I did triple disl brake and SS hardware. ALum wheels and spare. 5900.00. I was supposed to get a 1000.00 for my steel trailer on trade(sight unseen) After we swapped the boat to the new trailer my steel tralier was broken down the middle. Basically in 2 pieces. He said it was junk. Which it was. He gave me 500.00 off basically for the alum wheels I had on it. The rest he was going to scrap.

My Trailer for my 35 I ordered. More heavy duty. Full SS brakes,LED lights, alum wheels +spare, Elect over Hdy brake, etc. about 11k.

For a 29 you shouldd be able to price new in the range of 5-6k. Its all on the options like Jason mentioned.
I wash down the trailer when I launch so it's not sitting with salt water on it. Plus, you can do a pretty good job without the boat on it. It's still in very good shape with just some minor surface rust spots. Nothing that couldn't easily be anded down and spot painted.

I do want to get the aluminum trailer before the steel one turns to junk and is worthless.

I can get a basic tandem axle for that price but the one I'm looking at is Myco quality and will be about $10K maxed out with all the hot options.

I am kind of leaning towards that as i think I will be keeping this boat for many years to come.
Old 09-03-2009, 06:08 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

call pirate marine , only sells
trailers, he is in berlin center
ohio. lowest prices.