1996 Boss >

1996 Boss

Notices

1996 Boss

Old 09-08-2009, 05:24 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 Boss

I was wondering who or where can I get my computers scanned to verifiy my hours on the motors in my boat? They are 7.4 mpi lx's. Key was left on until the batteries went dead and added a bunch of hours on the meters. Buzzer only goes off for 3 seconds so I wasn't aware they was still on. Thanks for the help!
Old 09-12-2009, 07:36 AM
Registered

Let me ask this. Should I worry about the hours that got added to the meters or computers? I talked to Merc by email and they told me that those hours will also be added to my computers since the keys were left on even though the engines weren't running so I'm not happy about that. People always worry about what the hours meters read.
Old 09-12-2009, 09:58 AM
Registered
Gold Member

Originally Posted by SteveFord
Let me ask this. Should I worry about the hours that got added to the meters or computers? I talked to Merc by email and they told me that those hours will also be added to my computers since the keys were left on even though the engines weren't running so I'm not happy about that. People always worry about what the hours meters read.
If they do actually add hours to the computer they will show very low RPM's I would imagine. You could have the computers checked and if they are different than the hour meters then you could get new meters and just hook them up to a battery to advance them to the appropriate hour time. then install them.
Old 09-12-2009, 10:21 AM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I replaced one of my ECM's a few yrs ago. Since it was a used unit, I had the hours on it reflashed to match my hour meters and the 2nd ECM in my boat boat. Costly insurance though, but a cost that would be recouped in the sale of your boat if the additional hrs are noticed by a prospective buyer if left as is.
Old 09-12-2009, 11:31 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
I replaced one of my ECM's a few yrs ago. Since it was a used unit, I had the hours on it reflashed to match my hour meters and the 2nd ECM in my boat boat. Costly insurance though, but a cost that would be recouped in the sale of your boat if the additional hrs are noticed by a prospective buyer if left as is.
Do you have to send then to Merc to have them reflashed?
Old 09-14-2009, 08:13 PM
Registered

How many hours could it actually have added? I would think the battery would go dead after a day with the key left on. 24 hours more or less won't have that much impact on the price.
Old 09-15-2009, 02:33 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your computers will not have hours added to them, if the keys were left on, unless (of course) your engines were running. Your hour meters however will keep ticking until batteries go dead. We (Hawkeye Boat Sales - Dubuque Iowa) can scan your computers for you and change your meters back to the correct numbers. We'd be glad to help!!
Old 09-15-2009, 04:34 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by boat4fun
Your computers will not have hours added to them, if the keys were left on, unless (of course) your engines were running. Your hour meters however will keep ticking until batteries go dead. We (Hawkeye Boat Sales - Dubuque Iowa) can scan your computers for you and change your meters back to the correct numbers. We'd be glad to help!!
Thank you for clearing that up for me. I belive there is a truck pull in a few weeks in Dubuque and if I can make that I'll drag the boat up with me. Thanks again!