Captains Call Exhaust Question

Notices

Captains Call Exhaust Question

Old 10-27-2009, 08:43 AM
yak
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by irishtornado
I was always told 2000 rpm's, but as well they are illegal in MI. I have 2 sets Corsa Quick & Quiet includes harness for a bravo setup work great and includes the Y pipe. PM me if your interested.
I was told in states with muffler requirments that switchable exhaust do not fill the requirment and you can get ticketed but they are not illegal.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:53 AM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by yak
I was told in states with muffler requirments that switchable exhaust do not fill the requirment and you can get ticketed but they are not illegal.
Yes the people writing the laws are STUPID.

They think that switchable exhaust is like the old cars back in the 50's where you switch it to be LOUD and make noise when in fact on a boat it is so you can make the boat quite around the docks and when just out cruising.

In Virginia if you have a switch labeled "EXHAUST" on your dash panel you have to prove to the law dogs that it does not work.

I got rid of the switchable exhaust years ago because I wanted a cleaner setup, it would be legal in those states that don't allow it and I slip the mufflers on when we want it to be quite and take them off for some poker runs when we like the awesome rumble of straight thru hull dry exhaust! YAHOO
Old 10-28-2009, 02:39 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

In IA / WI the ticket for switchable exhaust is greater than a noise ordinance (loud exhaust) ticket.

In order to install a Y-pipe, the motor needs to be pulled.
Old 10-28-2009, 04:29 PM
Registered

Going to sound dumb here but I have to ask. I thought I had a pretty good handle on the exhaust thing but I guess I don't. First question, I saw something on MO in this post and since I plan on going there at least once or twice a summer (lake ozarks to be specific) I am in the wrong with the way my Baja is set up? I have an 99 272 with switchable exhaust or captains call I have always known it to be called, now the switch is just an unlabeled acc switch. So I would take it I have selectable but is it a gray area since it is not labeled. Now when we got the boat Ryan had said if we were going to run north of Dubuque he would really recommend mufflers and my answer was I would wait for my first ticket. I am a rebel you should here our Harley, LOL. Don't anyone take me wrong all I want to know is exactly where the law or things stand so I know. Second, am I to understand that if I have it on quiet I can't run over 3500 rpm's? I think that is what I saw. I haven't tried to yet pretty much have left in the loud setting other that pulling up to others in Party Cove.

Knowledge is king, just trying to clarify.

boat4fun any help would be great, and others for that matter but I know you guys run where I do.

Ya know it sucks folks are after loud everything, Harleys are under fire as well. Even HD has asked dealers to push for quieter accessories.
Old 10-28-2009, 04:32 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by yak

Illegal might've been a bad term to use, but as boat4fun stated the fines are more..I pulled mine when I repowered. I'd gladly sell them they are in excellent condition. I'm thinking of polishing them and listing them on Ebay.
Old 10-30-2009, 11:42 AM
Registered

Boat4fun your thoughts on this? Or as I said anyone else that would know. See previous post by me above.
Old 10-30-2009, 01:57 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Originally Posted by cpiefer06
Going to sound dumb here but I have to ask. I thought I had a pretty good handle on the exhaust thing but I guess I don't. First question, I saw something on MO in this post and since I plan on going there at least once or twice a summer (lake ozarks to be specific) I am in the wrong with the way my Baja is set up? I have an 99 272 with switchable exhaust or captains call I have always known it to be called, now the switch is just an unlabeled acc switch. So I would take it I have selectable but is it a gray area since it is not labeled. Now when we got the boat Ryan had said if we were going to run north of Dubuque he would really recommend mufflers and my answer was I would wait for my first ticket. I am a rebel you should here our Harley, LOL. Don't anyone take me wrong all I want to know is exactly where the law or things stand so I know. Second, am I to understand that if I have it on quiet I can't run over 3500 rpm's? I think that is what I saw. I haven't tried to yet pretty much have left in the loud setting other that pulling up to others in Party Cove.

boat4fun any help would be great, and others for that matter but I know you guys run where I do.

Ya know it sucks folks are after loud everything, Harleys are under fire as well. Even HD has asked dealers to push for quieter accessories.

The laws vary from state to state. I would suggest that you know in advance the laws of any states you plan to boat in and either be legal or be informed on what to expect.

Too many states have a problem now with switchable exhaust as I mentioned in my post above.

We switched to straight dry exhaust for many reasons but one plus was being leagl in Virginia. With the mufflers on I'm as quite around the docks as with captains call switched on.

Yes the noise police are alive and well and in ever part of our lives. I love Harley's also and my Street Glide has V & H monster Ovals on true duals. While not stupid loud I have already had a complaint or two.

When I bought my first Baja with silent choice the dealer told me to NEVER switch it on and off while underway and to NEVER run wide open throttle with it on. I took that to be the law and followed those guide lines. Since I have had several conversations with folks thta have convienced me that it is okay to run WOT with it on but I personally would not.

Save some cash for those tickets!

Happy boating
Old 10-30-2009, 08:15 PM
Registered

Since you mentioned LOTO. Never in my dreams would I think you would get pulled over for loud exhaust at the lake, specifically. But if you were to get pulled over for something else, you will get a ticket for it if you are over on decibels. Been there done that.

I bet your boat is over 90 decibels if it has a 502 and straight tips.

Last edited by redbud35; 10-30-2009 at 08:18 PM.
Old 10-31-2009, 01:05 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Boat4fun your thoughts on this? Or as I said anyone else that would know. See previous post by me above.
The law here is 86 db's, however they'll typically let you off as long as your 89 db's or less. I would guess your boat to be right around 90 db's.

Some areas are cracking down on the switch (captains call / silent choice). Even if you have mufflers w/ switch and it's legal (noise) in either position, it's still illeagal.

I have personally never had a noise issue at LOTO, Dubuque area (& south on the Mississippi), or anywhere in IA / MI / IL / MO / KY / OH / FL.

I have found WI / MN to be very strict!!
In between lock & dam 9-10 (on miss), there's a WI DNR officer (Marty Stone ) up in that area, that loves to use his pen.
Old 10-31-2009, 10:12 PM
Registered

Thank you for your input, it would seem that around the 5.0, I do not want to flip the switch just leave it where it lies. I don't think I will be north as much as south so that should be a good thing. I really didn't think LOTO would have been an issue but I saw someone posted to that effect earlier in this.

So you and Marty are friends I take it??? LOL Is he in the area of the Liquid Jungle run, or just north of Dubuque?

As I said earlier someone always has to make sure no one offends someone else. They are working on the bikes and so why not the boats. Next they will say we have to wear helmats on the water... wait and see. LOL