thinking about picking up a baja >

thinking about picking up a baja

Notices

thinking about picking up a baja

Old 12-05-2009, 10:42 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thinking about picking up a baja

Im thinking about picking this boat up, this is going to be my first boat. What do you guys think? the seller is local, so i can go see it in person. any questions i should ask the seller, and problem areas i should look for?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tab%3DWatching

Last edited by official_style; 12-05-2009 at 10:46 AM.
Old 12-05-2009, 12:31 PM
Registered

Hi, I had 1987 235 Force with a 454 and Alpha Drive for about 8 years. One thing to look for is Baja drilled about a 1 inch hole in the stringer about 10 inches from the transom to drain the water from the outside of the stringer to the bottom of the boat and on mine and the ones I looked at Baja did not fiberglass the hole after they drilled and will rot the stringer if boat gets water in it alot. Also check the lag bolts in engine mount, mine would no tighten up due to old age of boat no rot. I was going to go with through stringer engine mounts from Eddie Marine but sold the boat instead, wanted somethine with a Bravo Drive. I bought a 1988 Baja 24 Sport this summer and it has the holes drilled in the stringer also "no rot" and this one has the through stringer engine mounts, with a 468 chev. Fun boat, lot better hull with the 24 degree hull. Think they ran the hull that I have on the Outlaw24 to about 97. don't know about the 86, but think it is a different hull " flatter bottom" Don't know if any of this helped but thats what I ran into.
Old 12-05-2009, 02:54 PM
Registered

Find a surveyer in your area to look over the boat. It could save you alot of money in the end.
Old 12-05-2009, 02:59 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My Dad had a 220 with a 454 Mag scotch-taped to an Alpha. We never had any problems with it. It was the boat that turned me on to Baja's!
The boat you are looking at won't break any speed records, nor should it break the drive.
Have it surveyed by a professional marine surveyor. Rot would be my 1st concern. It is an 86. It wouldn't surprise me if it has some rot somewhere. As long as it is not in the structure of the boat I would not be too afraid.
Don't plan any real performance upgrades. The Alpha drive is a great drive, but it really isn't HP friendly. 400hp would be the most I'd want to put through the drive.
Good luck on the potential purchase!
Old 12-06-2009, 07:19 PM
Registered

after reading thru the complaint thread on teambajamarine, i definetly want to get a surveyer to take a look at this boat. how much does that usually run? what do you guys think the GPH at cruise and WOT would be with the 5.7? im going to go take a look at it this week, and if i like it in person i will need to get a surveyer to check it out.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:10 AM
Registered

A survey will be between 300-500.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:19 AM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool Boat
Old 12-14-2009, 02:23 PM
Registered