Notices

what do you think ?

Old 01-12-2010, 10:09 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what do you think ?

http://www.speedwake.com/newclassifi...ct=1364&cat=35
88 sport with a whipple and looks like alot of money poured into it
Was wondering what you guys think about the price saying its not rotted from head to toe. I have been looking everywhere for a older wave crusher with big power.
If i were to buy this boat (pending a survay) I would have to travel 500 miles one way.
thanks for your input guys
Old 01-13-2010, 08:27 AM
VIP Member

Here's my 2 cents-- If that is a stock 454 with a Whipple, at 5 lbs boost it is only making around 525 hp.

Also I cannot tell, but if it does not have at least single ram hydraulic steering, you should have it installed asap. The same goes if it has no hydraulic steering.

FYI--I had a 24 Outlaw with a Whipple on a 454 Mag--same boat basically and it ran about 76-77 mph at 5100 rpm with a 26 pitch prop.

Smitty

Last edited by Smitty; 01-13-2010 at 08:33 AM.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:42 AM
Registered

I have a way nicer 88 240 Sport with new paint and interior and a HP500 with a cam and some light head work that is 550HP that I would sell you with a trailer for around what he's looking to get. Mine is in way better shape than that one. I am located in FL, just outside of Jacksonville.
Old 01-13-2010, 01:54 PM
Registered

those are good boats but a 25ol or newer 24ol would be better, why well I have a 88 since 90 and the weak link as for wave crusher is back seat is screwed and bolted in place and needs to be moved to remove motor then what happens is you never line up screw holes water gets in them and over time floor or seat base rots. also if used in rough water cause of design of seat and plexi glass bulkhead instead of real bulkhead going into cabin you get stress cracks in connor of transom and side gunnels. mine had both little ones in gel after two years. at least with a 24ol they got rid of the plexi glass bulkhead and used plywood or coring, plus with a ol you get the fairing instead of windshield much better looking and safer on a stuff. cause 3 of us got cut up good after stuffing a wave in 95 off cape cod canal buzzards bay was running 45 in 4 to 5s crew got scared so I SLOWED TO 25 knowing we were hitting harder andwarned them it was easyer to stuff which happened on a bigger that Iwould of landed on instead of dropping in front of. also Ifound out on the 88s they never sealed the cut outs for the railings and hatches by 98 Ihad to pull hatches and coring out in cabin[if you walk on any deck and here a little crackle sound very soft or you bounce a little and here that the coring was wet] so we did a major coring redo and when we re cut the holes for the hatches weground and refilled in the coring with glass and filler so water gets by the caulking it will never get in between the coring again. bajas were a design good product balsa cored gel designs not paint but they missed a few design thoughts that are seen in the 25ol. my boat will be sold this spring as a project or finished with improvements a solid bulkhead going into cabin, reinforced center floor so seats don't pull out of floor. and a perment back seat bulkhead. if you can find a 9825ol your much better off. over the 16yrs that I RAN AND RACED MY BOAT,I learned a lot that if you plan on offshore trips you need hyd steering, k planes not tabs, fairing not a windshield, lots of power I upgraded from the 330hp 454 to a 502 425hp to 502 585hp/502 595hp and then a 509 650 and 670hp motors which got me to mid 80s. plus a imco 2'' shortie will give a better ride all around and pick up 4mph with a 500 to 700 hp motor. theres pics of my boat to see what a fairing looks like in a thread[ pics of my boat] Iwill bring it up so you can see the fairing. art