Help with carburetor?? >

Help with carburetor??

Notices

Help with carburetor??

Old 03-23-2010, 07:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with carburetor??

I'm running a Carbureted 7.4 with a mild cam and roller rockers. Last year it seemed to start hard, so I'm doing some spring tune ups. I've worked my way trough the ignition side, now I'm to the carb. My thought is that maybe I'm having accelerator pump issues. So here's the question... If I rebuild the carb, can I get a standard rebuild kit? It is an Edelbrock 1410. If not, what do I need to do differently?

Thanks!
Old 03-24-2010, 09:57 AM
Registered

If you mean starting hard because of cranking too long before it fires then your probably boiling the gas out of the primary bowl which is common to that carb. The best suggestion is to switch to an electric fuel pump like the Holley marine red fuel pump that doesn't require a regulator. http://www.jegs.com/i/Holley/510/712-801-1/10002/-1
Old 03-24-2010, 11:31 AM
Registered

It's only on the cold start. I have to crank the Hell out of it. I've tried multiple starting procedures. Once it's warm it fires as soon as I hit the key. I've already adjusted the choke. Would the electric pump still be my best bet? Thanks!
Old 03-24-2010, 12:51 PM
Registered

It still sounds like your losing the gas out of the primary bowl and relying on the pump to fill it up before it starts. I would still recomend the electric fuel pump before rebuilding the carb. Mine would start warm also unless you let it set for an hour or more and tried to start it, then it would have to crank for a little while but always started.