Prop????

Notices

Prop????

Old 04-04-2010, 04:19 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Prop????

I am currently running a 3 blade stainless prop
[13 7/8 X 23P] on my 24ft outlaw, I would like to try a 4 blade prop for a little better holeshot [skiing, tubing, that kinda thing] I have had several people tell me I have to go "up or down" a size, but, wasn't really sure what they meant? Can someone give me an actual "size/pitch" to look for? I would appreciate it, Thanks!

Michael
Old 04-04-2010, 04:55 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

22 pitch bravo
Old 04-04-2010, 05:44 PM
Registered

Received 122 Likes on 49 Posts

Well...the age old question...which prop is best... Comes down to what works on your application and how you like the feel of it. The most important thing to keep in mind is RPM....you do not want to lug the motor with "too much prop"...but you don't want to run too little prop and bang the rev limiter the entire time.....

Depending on where you are at with your RPM's...and with your deep X on the 24 I'd say you will be (if you are staying with a Bravo prop) between a 22-24....unless you go to a "revolution" 4-blade.... I cannot remember the diameter of the 22 Bravo but I thought it was a hair smaller then the 24...cannot remember, it may send your RPM's a little too high...

The reason people are telling you to go "up or down" is because the Mirage props run in "odd number" sizes and the Bravo props run in "even number" sizes....
Old 04-04-2010, 07:05 PM
Registered

All Bravo props are 15.25" in diameter. What RPM are you currently running with your current setup? And what motor are you running? If it's a 454Mag or 502Mag they are setup to run around 5000 rpm's so I'm guessing if your running a 23p now you could lab a 24p Bravo 4blade and keep right around where you are with the 23p or you could drop to a stock 22p Bravo 4blade and then play with rpm's from there. Its all on your setup and what you want to accomplish.
Old 04-04-2010, 07:20 PM
Registered

I am running a basically stock 454EFI, I think wide open it runs under 5K, The motor has stainless Marine exhaust, but, is otherwise stock, I had the top half of the motor redone last year. I only have 1 prop now and figure if I need a "spare" anyway, I might as well buy a 4 blade and use it for tubing/skiing and stuff like that. Sounds like a 24P bravo would do the trick? Keep the input coming, I really appreciate it!

Michael
Old 04-04-2010, 07:41 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by TWIN-SPINS
22 pitch bravo
this is the prop you want to use!!!! you go down in pitch . the 22 4blade is the same as a 23 3blade lot of guy like the rev prop or bravo 1
Old 04-04-2010, 09:47 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by n20michael
I am running a basically stock 454EFI, I think wide open it runs under 5K, The motor has stainless Marine exhaust, but, is otherwise stock, I had the top half of the motor redone last year. I only have 1 prop now and figure if I need a "spare" anyway, I might as well buy a 4 blade and use it for tubing/skiing and stuff like that. Sounds like a 24P bravo would do the trick? Keep the input coming, I really appreciate it!

Michael
If you have the 7.4L MPI not Mag you should be propped around 4800rpms you'll loose roughly 250rpms adding the 4blade over the 3 blade. I'd guess you'd be somewhere between the 3 if your running close to 5000 with a 23p 3 blade you might be ok with the 24p 4blade labbed.
Old 04-04-2010, 10:28 PM
Custom Interiors & More

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Revolution series tend to run a little better on a deep "X" dim. because of the smaller diameter. They are also odd sized like the Mirage Plus, so a 23p would be best to test if your high on RPM's, or the 21p if you need to bring the RPM's up? Mercury Marine doesn't offer labbed finishing on the Rev's but it could make you a very good ski prop at a good price?

XT