Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Baja
92  270 Baja Re-power & Updating Thread >

92 270 Baja Re-power & Updating Thread

Notices

92 270 Baja Re-power & Updating Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 10:56 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

speed I would say with 800 to 850 hp 90 to 96. I hope to get 150 to 200 hours out of my motor 572 blower was shooting for 1050hp but last motors dynoed were same as mine put smaller heads and can and hit 1137hp, so I will run mine a few times and them bring in down with a pulley change if its not getting used in the higher rpms. after the 200 hours Imight change it to a hdy roller set up instead of roller try for 300 to 400 hours. keep us posted. ps later on you could try a 2'' shortie or 1''. with a box on mine we raised the x to 18'' from 14 1/2'' = prop shaft height of 3'' to 3 1/3'' once the drive is on Iwill know for sure, I plan on using a 30 px5 prop for starters and have a b1 32 both are labbed for bow lift .

Last edited by AIR TIME; 05-13-2010 at 11:01 AM.
Old 05-13-2010, 02:42 PM
Registered

Nice work. You just glassed the black windshield screen in? pics after painting?
Old 05-13-2010, 03:21 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by high bid
Nice work. You just glassed the black windshield screen in? pics after painting?

I did, and I built two dash pieces(one on each side) one being the gauge panel and the other for the radio side and Im adding a speaker panel across the middle that will tie it all in and make it solid and keeping the screen from flexing and should not have a problem with breaks or cracking....I will have pics up soon after painting is complete....Thanks

Last edited by joe27baja; 05-13-2010 at 06:36 PM.
Old 05-16-2010, 07:58 PM
Registered

Well I picked up all of my speakers yesterday and Im short one amp still(damn slow shippers on E-bay) and I should have it in tomorrow if all goes well. I still have a little more body work to do on my windscreen but that will wrap up this week for sure. My motor hatch and back seat should be back from upholstery late this week..... Could see possible start up this weekend. For now it's gonna be a late night installing the stereo......It should make a little noise

2 Kicker 12's
8 Kicker 6x9's
12 Kicker 6 1/2's

Old 05-17-2010, 08:08 AM
Registered

How many batts? I run 4 but only have 3 amps pushing 12 speakers. I would love to check it out when you're done. Gonna be a sweeeet ride.
Old 05-17-2010, 11:39 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

what kind of box are you using for the subs and where are you mounting it?
Old 05-17-2010, 01:04 PM
Registered

Im running 3 batterys and 3 stiffining caps with a 130 amp alt.... I will have 5 amps total, 2 of them will be at a 2 ohm load and the others at a 4ohm load. It should work just fine with not to much current draw.
I built 2 12" sub enclosures with 1.35 cubic ft. of air space and they are mounted under the rear seat on each side firing inward. I drilled (6) 3" holes(3 per side) on the sides of the seat facing outward for the bass to vent out....I have done this several times before and it works real well, The bass sounds sharp and solid and you dont get all the muddy tones like when they are mounted out in the open. P.S. I was a installer at various car stereo shops for around 8 years back in the day....

You can see the boxes for the 12's in this pic behind the 6x9's board

I will post a better pic tonight when I get off of work.
Old 05-17-2010, 06:02 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by joe27baja
I built 2 12" sub enclosures with 1.35 cubic ft. of air space and they are mounted under the rear seat on each side firing inward. I drilled (6) 3" holes(3 per side) on the sides of the seat facing outward for the bass to vent out....I have done this several times before and it works real well, The bass sounds sharp and solid and you dont get all the muddy tones like when they are mounted out in the open. P.S. I was a installer at various car stereo shops for around 8 years back in the day....

You can see the boxes for the 12's in this pic behind the 6x9's board

I will post a better pic tonight when I get off of work.
This may work or it may really not work. You just created a bandpass enclosure. There is alot that can go wrong in this setup. FIrst thing I see is you are going to be loading all those other drivers with the preasure from the subs. Second if you don't have the proper air space you can unload the sub driver real easy. 3 with a bandpass you can't hear when you are distorting the drivers.

Bandpass was huge in car audio for a while because they could make Huge SPL numbers, problem was that they were very limited in band width. They were a pain to get right in design because the driver almost never performed to spec. Customers blew up more drivers than I care to remember. The bandpass boxes were always pretty much a one note wonder. They would hit like hell at say 70hz but suck every place else.

I would really reconsider this design. You may have gotten lucky before and hit a good working setup. I can see you blowing alot of drivers with the way you have that bench laid out.

I don't like to say anything on threads like this, but I think you are really headed for a lot of trouble out of this system. Mixing 6x9's and 6.5" will most certainly give you phase cancellations. Having all those speakers down on the floor will pull your sound stage way down. It will be loud on the floor, but who lays on the floor to listen to the sound system. Infact it may even reduce your sound compared to just having the 6.5" in the cockpit area.

I would really consider turning the subs to face out into the sides of the boat and make a regular ported enclosure. The results are going to be far more predictable than the way you have it layed out now, and no risk of blowing the other drivers. Plus like I said I think you will get more volume with less drivers if you just get several sets of 6.5" up higher in the boat where they can be heard.

It's your system and please don't take this as any kind of bash. I just really think you could achieve a much better system, using less components doing it a differnet way.

I have setup systems with far less equipment that will rip your head off. Infact I just redid the Irish Tornado system with 4 sets of 6.5" in the cockpit, two 10" kickers in the bench and a 12" in the cuddy below the v-berth. The thing is painful loud. I only have two sets of 6.5" and three 12" subs in my system. I can run WFO and hear the system plain as day with open exhaust, and I can make ripples in the water with bass. I only have 3 amps and 200 watts RMS power.

Here is a short video of my boat running with the sound system playing. I was running 60+ and the system was turned up maybe 3/4's. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wB84t8z6_O4

Last edited by Nightlife1970; 05-17-2010 at 06:11 PM.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:35 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by high bid
How many batts? I run 4 but only have 3 amps pushing 12 speakers. I would love to check it out when you're done. Gonna be a sweeeet ride.
Originally Posted by regalman4925
what kind of box are you using for the subs and where are you mounting it?
Originally Posted by Nightlife1970
This may work or it may really not work. You just created a bandpass enclosure. There is alot that can go wrong in this setup. FIrst thing I see is you are going to be loading all those other drivers with the preasure from the subs. Second if you don't have the proper air space you can unload the sub driver real easy. 3 with a bandpass you can't hear when you are distorting the drivers.

Bandpass was huge in car audio for a while because they could make Huge SPL numbers, problem was that they were very limited in band width. They were a pain to get right in design because the driver almost never performed to spec. Customers blew up more drivers than I care to remember. The bandpass boxes were always pretty much a one note wonder. They would hit like hell at say 70hz but suck every place else.

I would really reconsider this design. You may have gotten lucky before and hit a good working setup. I can see you blowing alot of drivers with the way you have that bench laid out.

I don't like to say anything on threads like this, but I think you are really headed for a lot of trouble out of this system. Mixing 6x9's and 6.5" will most certainly give you phase cancellations. Having all those speakers down on the floor will pull your sound stage way down. It will be loud on the floor, but who lays on the floor to listen to the sound system. Infact it may even reduce your sound compared to just having the 6.5" in the cockpit area.

I would really consider turning the subs to face out into the sides of the boat and make a regular ported enclosure. The results are going to be far more predictable than the way you have it layed out now, and no risk of blowing the other drivers. Plus like I said I think you will get more volume with less drivers if you just get several sets of 6.5" up higher in the boat where they can be heard.

It's your system and please don't take this as any kind of bash. I just really think you could achieve a much better system, using less components doing it a differnet way.

I have setup systems with far less equipment that will rip your head off. Infact I just redid the Irish Tornado system with 4 sets of 6.5" in the cockpit, two 10" kickers in the bench and a 12" in the cuddy below the v-berth. The thing is painful loud. I only have two sets of 6.5" and three 12" subs in my system. I can run WFO and hear the system plain as day with open exhaust, and I can make ripples in the water with bass. I only have 3 amps and 200 watts RMS power.

Here is a short video of my boat running with the sound system playing. I was running 60+ and the system was turned up maybe 3/4's. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wB84t8z6_O4
No offense taken but I have had this set up before minus 4 of the 6 1/2's (across the front of the windscreen)and it got down pretty good even at wide open throttle....The 6x9"s will have a back board to keep pressure from getting to them and they will be crossed over around 170-210hrz. all the 6 1/2's will be crossed over much higher to prevent any bass from making its way to them.
1.35 cubic feet will work just fine for the subs... 1.50 would have been the prefered but I will make do, I think I will have enough power to compensate for the tiny loss of air space. Im not turning it in to a 7th order or a banpass box/enclosure by this set-up nor tuning it for any certin frequency by doing this. There are several places for the bass to escape other than the ports I have made, I will repost this weekend and let ya know how it turns out....
Old 05-18-2010, 09:54 AM
Registered

Overall, I understand his point. I definately agree that moving things up as high as possible will make a significant diff....JMO.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.