Baja 30 outlaw vs. Formula and Fountain 29's >

Baja 30 outlaw vs. Formula and Fountain 29's

Notices

Baja 30 outlaw vs. Formula and Fountain 29's

Old 06-01-2010, 07:37 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Baja 30 outlaw vs. Formula and Fountain 29's

I have just sold my 24 Baja Islander and am looking for a boat to use in LOTA and my local lake. I am considering a 30 outlaw, Formula Fastech, and Fountain Fever and having a hard time deciding between the three. i would also consider a Donzi 28 zx. I am looking for used boats with under 100 hours. Speed is important, but I am more concerned with reliability and ride as the ozarks can be rough. Looking for some guidance. Thanks.
Old 06-03-2010, 08:44 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Marcus1421
I have just sold my 24 Baja Islander and am looking for a boat to use in LOTA and my local lake. I am considering a 30 outlaw, Formula Fastech, and Fountain Fever and having a hard time deciding between the three. i would also consider a Donzi 28 zx. I am looking for used boats with under 100 hours. Speed is important, but I am more concerned with reliability and ride as the ozarks can be rough. Looking for some guidance. Thanks.
I had a 30. Rides like **** at the lake. I watched a 29 Fountain Sunday running the main channel at the 15mm. He was doing 50ish, and riding pretty smooth.
Old 06-06-2010, 12:03 PM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

I have cruised next to a really nice 2000 29' outlaw in lake michigan. It looked like he was handling the rough water really nice a 60+ mph over 3' waves next to me. My last boat handled rough water amazing (1994 32' Caliber) and the current 2001 33' outlaw is even better! I also have rode in my friends 2006 292 formula and was impressed how nice it rode/drove/and handled. HE claims he does not like running next to me in rough water cause he has to adjust trim/drive/throttle to much but little does he know I was doing the same!! Its rough out in lake michigan and at LOTA. Never ridden in a 29' fountain but its much smaller then the baja or formula. I think you will be happy with whichever one you fall in love with thats the best overall deal and value. I love my outlaw way more then I ever thought I would though.
Old 06-06-2010, 01:13 PM
Registered

IMO 33OL is the best choice with a 29OL being 2nd. The 29 Fountain is only a 27' running surface not sure about Formula's. 33OL also has lots more cockpit space and is a great rough water boat.
Old 06-06-2010, 02:30 PM
Registered

Looked at all three when I was shopping. My dad had owned a 29 Outlaw before so I knew what to expect. Almost bought a 29 Formula but didn't like the lack of storage space, small trim tabs, and I read stories of them being slow out the hole. Most of the 29 Fountains were single engine. Talked to a guy that had owned both a 29 Fountain and a 29 Outlaw. Said the Fountain was more fun but flew a lot more. The Baja rode a lot smoother. Plus the single engine 29s are slow to plane off with a load. FWIW, on the Tickfaw 200 last year a twin big block 29 Fountain couldn't stay with me in rough water. I've had my boat 3 years now and no regrets, would make the same choice again.
Old 06-06-2010, 06:37 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DareDevil
If your looking for speed...FOUNTAIN

If your looking for ride compfort ...Formula

If your looking cheap ... Baja
Daredevil please edit that crap... already told you I have a Baja that will eat your chit up and will run all season without opening the hatch....

I work on and run them all and the BAJA is out front with much more boat than the other 2. Baja is wider, taller and longer and will run them in the ruff any day.

By the way welcome back DD
Old 06-07-2010, 09:58 AM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

jmeng, You are correct about the 29 formula taking a really long time to plane. Even with only 2 people on board and a 1/4 tank of fuel my buddy has to put the tabs all the way down, drives down, and floor it. Still takes a mile to get on plane. Prob due to a high x-deminsion, stepped hull, 28 pitch props (factory) small blocks (6.2). I also agree the 33 outlaw is the best choice. Good Luck.
Old 06-07-2010, 12:56 PM
Registered

Drive all 4, preferably in rough conditions, then decide. Everyone likes their own particular flavor so ask 8 guys and you'll get 9 opinions. They each have their good/bad points and of course there are some tradeoffs to each as well. The only one who can determine which is best for you.....is you.

I like the price and size of the Baja, the ride and build quality of the Formula, the speed of the Fountain and the style of the Donzi. Actually, I like the style of the Baja too but I had to give Donzi props for something....they make a nice boat. It's also "big for it's size" (like the Baja).
Old 06-07-2010, 08:20 PM
Registered

Wink

like they said see if you can drive all of them and if you do I bet you will want the baja over all. just as good as the rest of them good luck and don't listen to that DD guy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.