Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Baja
water temp gauge just stopped working? >

water temp gauge just stopped working?

Notices

water temp gauge just stopped working?

Old 06-01-2010, 07:48 PM
Registered

Received 155 Likes on 71 Posts
Default water temp gauge just stopped working?

'06 20 Outlaw 5.0 MPI with 26 hours.... Before I go out and just buy a new sensor, anyone got any other ideas why it stopped working? Checked all the wiring, fuses, connections but doesn't get over 100 degrees on the gauge. Kinda looks like it comes up a hair but can't be totally sure. Yes, the water temps were warm enough to go swimming in
Old 06-02-2010, 11:40 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

are you sure the thermostat is not stuck? I know you say the water was warm and it will be, even cold water pushed throught the motor will warm up the water. on a boat the thermostat keeps the water temps warmer, not colder. so if its stuck open the boat is jsut using fresh cold water and it will not warm up. once it closes that keeps the warm water in there and lets it get to operatiing temp.
Old 06-02-2010, 01:06 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Disconnect the sender unit. Attach a 12vDC test light between the wire and the metal body of the sender unit. Turn on the key and see if the gage moves and the light glows dimly. If it moves, replace the sender. If the light does not glow, move your ground point to a definate clean ground like a battery terminal and recheck. If it still does not glow, connect between ground and the sender terminal on the gauge. If it moves and glows, repair the wiring from sender to gauge. If it doesn't, check for power to the ign terminal at the gauge. If it has power, replace the gauge.
Old 06-02-2010, 03:37 PM
Registered

awesome!! Thanks guys
Old 06-23-2010, 04:25 PM
Registered

Yup, stuck thermostat. Two grains of sand (one on each side) were holding it open.
Old 06-24-2010, 07:42 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

haha awesome! nice, easy fix.

I had this happen to mine. then it fixed its self, then it did ti again about 4 months later, i gave up and replaced then.