252 stereo wiring? >

252 stereo wiring?

Notices

252 stereo wiring?

Old 06-16-2010, 04:36 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 252 stereo wiring?

Anyone have a diagram of what wires go where?

about to hook up a new head unit and would like to make sure everything is good. I know the memory wires is not working casue everytime i turn the batterys of it looses my presets.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:24 AM
Registered

ok so put in new head unit, and checked wiring, and its wired corect but still no memory wire.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:01 AM
Registered

The memory wire is 99.9% of the time yellow.
Old 07-12-2010, 02:44 PM
Registered

Agreed most "bat" or memory wire is yellow on the head unit. Double check the boat harness. 1 wire will be +12v all the time and the other will be only when ignition on.
12v constant should go to the yellow
12v w/ignition most like will go the red wire on head unit.
Old 07-12-2010, 03:50 PM
Registered

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Agree w/ the others on the stereo harness wiring.

I think in my 232, it only had a wire from the switch & ground. Anytime the perko was turned off, so was the 12v. the stereo then had the red & yellow wires connected to that one wire.

When i added amps, i ran a dedicate 0g run to a distro block. I also then ran a wire from the distro to the stereo for a constant 12v. then just changed the wiring so stereo yellow went to it, & stereo red when to original switched source.

just use a test light before connecting any wires.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:44 AM
Registered

Yea i tested the wires, and Yellow was hot no mater what i did with the stereo switch on the dash, and the red was the ingnition wire that was hooked to the dash swich.

This makes since like a car. the stereo would keep all the settings when turned on and off, the problem is when i turn both batterys OFF. then it kills the 12v to the yellow one too.

No during the winter this is a good thing, but everyweekend having to reset everything sucks.

I was told there was a hot wire that bypassed the switchw with an inline fuse, but I have yet to find that. (there is a little power wire at my bat switch with an in line fuze but if it is for the radio it still goes dead with the switch.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:06 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by mittens
Yea i tested the wires, and Yellow was hot no mater what i did with the stereo switch on the dash, and the red was the ingnition wire that was hooked to the dash swich.

This makes since like a car. the stereo would keep all the settings when turned on and off, the problem is when i turn both batterys OFF. then it kills the 12v to the yellow one too.

No during the winter this is a good thing, but everyweekend having to reset everything sucks.

I was told there was a hot wire that bypassed the switchw with an inline fuse, but I have yet to find that. (there is a little power wire at my bat switch with an in line fuze but if it is for the radio it still goes dead with the switch.
you are correct there is no "bypass" wire in mine either. If I switch both my batteries off then I loose my presets too. The only way would to run a wire and bypass switch. I like everything to be off when my switch is off. If my boat is to sit for a few weeks I either plug my on board charger in or just switch to one battery in case something drains it. Atleast I would have the other. Radio memory should'nt drain a battery.
Old 07-13-2010, 12:21 PM
Registered

yea i know it will not kill a battery, but when its parked for months, who knows. no worried about that I can un plug the inline fuse when i need it to be all the way off. may jumper that one wire around the switch that way the summers are easier.

do you know if that wire with the in line fuze is the mem wire for the radio or something else?

I haev never just left it on one battery for a week or two to see if anything else drians the battery. guess i should test that too.