Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by obnoxus
sell the 305 and find a used 350 mag.

Probably cheaper,,,,,absolutly less aggrivation
+1
Old 06-23-2011, 07:57 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I had my 20 Baja, the best prop I found for my application was the 24P Turbo 2+2 4 blade. It was real close if not the fastest I had and cruise and hole shot was great. I even went as far as labbing it but sold the boat that spring and never had the chance to test it. I also tried a 23P M, 23P Laser, 21P Michigan 3 Blade, and had a 25P M+ but never had a chance to test before I sold the boat. both the 23P were real close in performance.

Is your 305 carb or injected?
Old 07-06-2011, 05:29 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by obnoxus
sell the 305 and find a used 350 mag.

Probably cheaper,,,,,absolutly less aggrivation
Amen brother!

Spent 30 minutes arguing with Propco that his 14.75" X 21P tip-cupped prop is just too big in diameter for the hole-shot and not enough pitch on the big end. My tach has to be off though, I was maxed out at 5400 rpm with his prop. I keep arguing I need smaller diameter and more pitch. The "expert" thinks increasing pitch will kill hole-shot even more. The Vensura seems to be what I need. Let one on ebay slip through my hands for $115 new!

Is this 14.75" X 21P prop right for my boat or am I in left field? It only turns 2400 rpm coming up on plane, two people aboard, 1/4 tank of fuel.

Second question. I ran a 13.25 " X 23P High Five prop Saturday. Hole-shot was great, cruised 30 mph at ~2950 rpm, tached out 5200 at 52.9 mph. Seemed to run OK, absolutely could not blow it out. How's the fuel efficiency on those High Fives? The prop guy says they're terrible. Anyone running this prop? Likes, dislikes?

Third question. What's the rev-limiter on this motor? I can't seem to find it.

It's the 5.0 MPI, 260 horse.

Thanks
Old 10-14-2011, 09:08 AM
Registered

If I do keep my 20 outlaw I will definately be getting a new prop, Im using the stock one that came with my boat (vengance 23p 3 blade stainless.

According to my owners manual the merc 5.0MPI max RPM is 4600-5000 RPM. With the prop I have right now the highest it will go is 4700.
Old 10-14-2011, 11:49 AM
Custom Interiors & More

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did some testing for Baja on the 20ol because a dealer had issues with the boat not wanting to plan-off with 5 passengers aboard. I found there was a big difference between the standard thru hub exhaust, and the optional thru transom exhaust option with performance. Thru hub helped planning, and thru transom was better top end. Best answer would be the Corsa Q&Q system for both. Best prop I tested was the Laser II 23P, but since Baja was owned then by Brunswick, testing any aftermarket props was not going to happen. I would also avoid large Dia. props like the Bravo1, Mirage, and Revolution on the Alpha Drive. (hard on the drive when shifting)

Note: Vented OB style props help get the rpm's up at planning speeds.

XT
Attached Thumbnails 20' Outlaw anyone?-20ol_testing.jpg   20' Outlaw anyone?-thru_hub.jpg   20' Outlaw anyone?-thru_transom.jpg  

20' Outlaw anyone?-veng_lazer.jpg