Boat Won't Plane

Notices

Boat Won't Plane

Old 07-04-2010, 06:15 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boat Won't Plane

Hey Guys:

2008 26 Outlaw the boat will not come onto plane without lowering the trim tabs all the way down and "massaging" the throttle slowly up. Once on plane I can trim the drive out and run the RPMs to 5000. No vibration no blow out. If I don't tab down the prop blows out.

Any suggestions ?

Steve
Old 07-04-2010, 10:42 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Almost sounds normal were are you puting the drives?
Old 07-04-2010, 11:03 PM
Registered

Drive trimmed all the way down, never had any issues before today. Have not pulled the boat but I am thinking the hub is spun ? Merc Mirage 23 P 3 blade I think the stock prop is a plastic hub ?
Old 07-05-2010, 01:19 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe,for some reason thought it was a new boat to you.If it never was like that before somethings wrong.
Old 07-05-2010, 07:10 AM
Registered

Check the hub.
Old 07-05-2010, 07:43 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Ditto, check the hub.

And if the Mirage has those plastic vent plugs, see if they're all there. If you've lost a vent plug or two, those hole are ventilating your prop, making it harder than anything to plane.

Also, if your boat is in the water slipped, it collects crud and algae. I've heard of boats that lose some serious mph and/or can't get on plane due to the crud on the bottom of the hull.
Old 07-05-2010, 07:53 AM
Registered

Thanks, I am thinking the hub also, it doesn't sit in the water I pull it and put it on the trailer after every use. Just didn't have time last night to check it out as it was late when we got in.
Old 07-05-2010, 08:12 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Well the hubs pretty easy to replace, and only about $40 or so. I pulled mine because the tach was shooting, but found out it's a bad tach or loose wire, no planing issues.

Check those vent plugs too. Very hard to get out, but if someone put them in wrong, they may be missing or lodged at an angle. My boat will do the same as yours if I use the larger hole plugs, I switched to solid pluge because my boat needs no help to plane.
Old 07-05-2010, 11:41 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 217 Likes on 126 Posts

Check the position of the plastic spacer for the rear trim cylinder anchor pin, if the spacer is towards the rear,
the drive doesnt trim in as far.

I've seen this happen a time or two.
Old 07-05-2010, 03:34 PM
Registered

Update:

So I pulled the prop and hub and the hub looks fine, was not broken or rounded out. The local "drive guy" here at the beach said he has seen the rubber / plastic hubs "spin" without breaking under high torque. Make a long story short I bought and installed a solid hub and ran the boat. No blow out no cavitation the boat gets up on plane like it used to. Could the rubber hub get spun like he was saying without breaking ? Should I leave the solid hub in ?

Thanks All

Steve

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.