06 25 outlaw keeps blowing trim tab fuses >

06 25 outlaw keeps blowing trim tab fuses

Notices

06 25 outlaw keeps blowing trim tab fuses

Old 07-31-2010, 11:25 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 25 outlaw keeps blowing trim tab fuses

was tubing yesterday and i use some tab to plane boat out. had them 3/4 way down. shut boat off and went to go home and move tabs back up and no power to them. checked fuse and it was cooked. replaced it and they went back up when power was restored. went to use them to test it out and blew fuse again?
Old 07-31-2010, 12:12 PM
Registered

It sounds like the fuse is blowing when you are not using the tabs? If that is the case then there is a short somewhere in the power supply. I would check the entire line and focus on the bends and rub points looking for insulation that may be chaffed, missing or even burnt. I would trace from the power supply to the switch, because in theory anything past the switch shouldn't be getting power with the circuit open.

Now if the fuse is blowing only while operating the trim then most likely the electronic actuator (coil) is shorting out. Or again there may be a short downstream of the switch once it is providing the circuit with power.

Trouble shooting electric issues is never fun, especially if you did not wire it.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-31-2010, 12:32 PM
Registered

Well, sounds to me like a short. Now, I'm an uto tech.... I would assume that either the motor runs both ways like a window. sooo the switch just reverses polarity. there could be a shoprt to ground within the switch.

but im guessing it has the same style pump like a trim pump and i think the motor only runs one way and the switch dictates the position of some sort of electrical soleniod for the valve body. So, i think there may be a short there at the solenoid or switch. boats seem to have a hard time finding shorts to ground due to their fiberglass construction. but that does not mean that wires cannot chafe together causing shorts.

look the circuit over very well. de-power and check on the positive side circuit continuity to ground. should be no continuity. check continuity from power and ground on that circuit. there should be no continuity between them. unless the motor is hooked up. there is always continuity in motors due to brushes. then check continuity from the negative to battery negative. should be less than 5 ohms. if the circuit checks out well then look tward the motor assy or the switch. if the circuit is bad and hard to dig out then overlay it. and remove the other fomr its power and ground sources. you will need to also check the output from the switch with the same continuity checks