Baja Hooks/Wedges >

Baja Hooks/Wedges

Notices

Baja Hooks/Wedges

Old 08-04-2010, 03:49 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Baja Hooks/Wedges

This has been beat to death but here is what I have. I have a 236 Baja with about 550 HP and raised x at 5" propshaft depth. The boat has a 22 deg hull with the inner strakes cut back and the wedges on the middle strakes that start about 24" from the V. When the boat was stock it ran 55MPH and had a really bad porpoise at WOT. As I began to increase speed and power the boat freeded up at about 62MPH and stopped porpoising. Now the boat runs 74MPH on a good day 72 fully loaded and high temps. Question is do you guys think the wedges are out of the water at that speed or are they still holding back a couple MPH.
Old 08-04-2010, 04:12 PM
Custom Interiors & More

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am pretty sure the 236 has 1 1/2 set of strakes per side right? Only one set runs back to the transom, and the other stops around 4' from the back. In my opinion they are probably running in very soft water near the surface, and are not costing you much speed. If you plan to remove them to see if you can increase the top speed, I would highly recommend getting the entire bottom surface blueprinted, and the transom edge sharpened. IMO

XT
Old 08-04-2010, 04:19 PM
Registered

Thanks, I just sent you a PM. So I guess ignore that one. I think the strakes are fine, you are correct the inner strake is cut back about 6' from the back. I was more concerned with the wedges and if you thought they would still be in the water at that speed. I am planning on getting rid of the blisters and cleaning up the bottom this winter. While I am at it I may remove them if it would have any effect. I sharpened up the edge last winter when I rebuilt the transom.
Old 08-04-2010, 04:45 PM
Custom Interiors & More

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My best guess without watching the boat run, is that the hooks are riding on the spray that is comming off the inner set of strakes. Thats why I called it "soft water". Most hull designers would rather watch a boat run, than be in the boat! I know I did.

XT
Old 08-04-2010, 04:49 PM
Registered

I think I am going to have somone get a little video of the boat running at speed and see were the water breaks.