To procharge or not to procharge >

To procharge or not to procharge

Notices

To procharge or not to procharge

Old 08-11-2010, 05:30 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by gbbthree
I have a 1999 25' Outlaw with a stock 454 and original 23P stainless prop. My boat is running 68 mph consistantly unless I have full fuel load and passengers. Will labbing the prop get me over 70 mph? What about a K & N air filter? Since the engine is fuel injected, is there and ECU like a car that can be reprogrammed / chipped to get more HP? I want to get over the 70 MPH hump.
That must be on the Dream O Meter. No way that is GPS, a 496HO with the higher x and 425HP only hits about 67. You are probly only about 61MPH assuming you have the 385Mag. Just keeping it real. Air cleaner will make no difference at all unless you made a bunch of internal mods and need more CFM.
Sorry did not mean to continue the Hyjack. Just had to give my 2 cents.

Last edited by jeffswav; 08-11-2010 at 05:32 PM.
Old 08-11-2010, 05:55 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you do... First you will need to buy a good set of tools and some good lifejackets. reliability will go away and you may take on torque steer, and probably not be able to sell it.

Good luck!
Originally Posted by getinoutofmissou
Our 232 islander has a stock 6.2 with 175 hrs. Boat runs 51-53 gps with 4 people and gear with less than ½ tank fuel, with full fuel drops to below 50. As with most I would like to add more speed. The boss keeps telling me to buy a bigger boat, but the 232 just really fits our needs right now with 2 kids tubing and learning to wake board. I have been researching adding a procharger to the stock setup. I don’t want to get crazy chasing speed and HP but I would like to get into the mid to upper 60’s. My questions are will I sacrifice reliability? Will this be exceeding the safe limits of the boat? Will this change require other modifications to go along with the increased HP?
Thanks for any advice rick
Old 08-11-2010, 08:34 PM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Ona-Mission
If you do... First you will need to buy a good set of tools and some good lifejackets. reliability will go away and you may take on torque steer, and probably not be able to sell it.

Good luck!
I agree! Also you will need a stronger drive. And any bravo based drive will still wear out.

I personally love my prochargers though. I have even upgraded from the 5psi pulley past the 7 to the 9psi pulley on my m3sc. 160 trouble free hours. But my motors come with some stronger parts then 6.2's.

Next time I supercharge or buy a new boat it will have prochargers on it.

The boss has the best advice though. You could upgrade to a larger boat with a big block for the same as building up your boat. Good luck.

Last edited by offshorexcursion; 08-11-2010 at 08:36 PM.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:45 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by covaciud
I lost my engine in less than 15 hr, 6.2L (150hr) procharger 5lb boost, gain 10mph.
Hello, What went in the 6.2 motor ? could it have been prevented with a couple more upgrades ? any Help appreciated. would like to do my 6.2. Thanks Lynn