Performance Mods 454 Outlaw 25 >

Performance Mods 454 Outlaw 25

Notices

Performance Mods 454 Outlaw 25

Old 08-11-2010, 05:13 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Performance Mods 454 Outlaw 25

I have a 1999 25' Outlaw with a stock 454 and original 23P stainless prop. My boat is running 68 mph consistantly unless I have full fuel load and passengers. Will labbing the prop get me over 70 mph? What about a K & N air filter? Since the engine is fuel injected, is there and ECU like a car that can be reprogrammed / chipped to get more HP? I want to get over the 70 MPH hump. I don't want to supercharge for cost reasons and I'm told it's not good to do to the 454. What mods can I make to get more top end?
Old 08-11-2010, 07:14 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Ok, first off I was not trying to be rude in the other thread. Just trying to be honest.
Is this a Mag 385HP or a 330/310 HP standard engine? Even with a 385Mag you should be seing GPS speeds of 61-62MPH. The K & N will make no difference at all unless the engine was modified and it needed more CFM. To make any real HP you will need exhaust, roller cam, lifters, springs, ect... ECM reprogram to match components. I used RMbuilder for a custom roller cam and matching componets. Just to warn you once the speed bug gets you there is no turning back.
Old 08-12-2010, 05:45 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by jeffswav
Ok, first off I was not trying to be rude in the other thread. Just trying to be honest.
Is this a Mag 385HP or a 330/310 HP standard engine? Even with a 385Mag you should be seing GPS speeds of 61-62MPH. The K & N will make no difference at all unless the engine was modified and it needed more CFM. To make any real HP you will need exhaust, roller cam, lifters, springs, ect... ECM reprogram to match components. I used RMbuilder for a custom roller cam and matching componets. Just to warn you once the speed bug gets you there is no turning back.
Not true I had a 98 454mag 22" turbo vector prop,it ran 66.8 gps consistenly speedo read 70.Not all boats are the same,some run better than others.

Last edited by BURNSMAZZ; 08-12-2010 at 05:53 AM.
Old 08-12-2010, 11:22 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Labbing your propeller will get you closer to 70.
I would use BBlades to do the labbing. Brett knows his stuff.
I think the K&N is a waste of money for performance, but they do look good. While chrome won't get ya home, it looks as good on a working motor as a broken one.
I would spend the $$ on a set of Dana Marine manifolds & I would also replace the rocker arms with Comp Cams Pro Magnum roller rockers.
I did those 2 items to my 29 a few years ago & picked up somewhere between 3-5 mph over stock.
For a ECM tune I would contact Ben @ MEFITUNING.COM or Mark Boos at Precision Marine.
Ben does all my tuning & he has done several other Baja's, all with great results.
Good luck & enjoy spending more money than you budgeted for.
Old 08-12-2010, 01:37 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BURNSMAZZ
Not true I had a 98 454mag 22" turbo vector prop,it ran 66.8 gps consistenly speedo read 70.Not all boats are the same,some run better than others.
I do not want to to argue about somthing as stupid as how fast your boat goes. But I have raced many 25' Outlaws. I know a guy with a 25' with a 502 Mag MPI and his runs 65-66. I know another guy with a 496HO and his runs 67-68. I know another guy with a 496HO with EMI exhaust and some head work his runs 69-70. Maybe going down river, with a tail wind, 70 deg day with no humidity, 10 gallons of fuel, no cooler one person in the boat, elevation at sea level, ext... you may se a little more.
Old 08-13-2010, 04:57 AM
Registered

I do not want to to argue about somthing as stupid as how fast your boat goes. But I have raced many 25' Outlaws. I know a guy with a 25' with a 502 Mag MPI and his runs 65-66. I know another guy with a 496HO and his runs 67-68. I know another guy with a 496HO with EMI exhaust and some head work his runs 69-70. Maybe going down river, with a tail wind, 70 deg day with no humidity, 10 gallons of fuel, no cooler one person in the boat, elevation at sea level, ext... you may se a little more.
The guy said his boat did 68 mph with a 454mag,you said it would only do 61-62mph on gps.I'm not arguing anything just saying some boats run different than others.Seems like you are the one that copped a little attitude here.Hell I wouldn't do anything to it,if it's running an honest 68 mph that's a damn good number.Turn key no problems.

Last edited by BURNSMAZZ; 08-13-2010 at 06:30 AM.
Old 08-13-2010, 10:46 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by BURNSMAZZ
The guy said his boat did 68 mph with a 454mag,you said it would only do 61-62mph on gps.I'm not arguing anything just saying some boats run different than others.Seems like you are the one that copped a little attitude here.Hell I wouldn't do anything to it,if it's running an honest 68 mph that's a damn good number.Turn key no problems.
No attitude here. Just trying to give honest input. I have spent a lot of money and hard labor making by boat run faster. Where I boat it would not run that fast. The 25 Outlaws are all the same hull except some of them have a higher x dim. If the boat came from Hawkeye some of there boats had higher x dim also. Other than that they should all run the same speed given the same conditions. If I am wrong XT or one of the other guys that built the boats can correct that info.
Hey, I agree with you if it does run that fast I would not touch it, you may screw somthing up.

Last edited by jeffswav; 08-13-2010 at 10:49 AM.
Old 08-13-2010, 10:58 AM
Custom Interiors & More

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I am wrong XT or one of the other guys that built the boats can correct that info.
Hey, I agree with you if it does run that fast I would not touch it, you may screw somthing up.
Not taking any sides on this one. The original post did not say if that was a GPS speed, or wishometer.....I say back off to 48, and drink a beer.

XT
Old 08-13-2010, 11:20 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by XT-Innovator
Not taking any sides on this one. The original post did not say if that was a GPS speed, or wishometer.....I say back off to 48, and drink a beer.

XT
Your right he never said it was GPS speed. I don't want to scare the guy off, looks like he has not replied back. There is a 25' Outlaw with a 502mag on utube that shows 70MPH on the Dream O Meter. It made me think of this post. I still have about 6hrs untill beer time. For now I will have to get back to work.
Old 08-13-2010, 11:43 AM
Registered

my dream o meter can go 100 with a air chuck in the hose!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.