baja outlaw anchor lockers? >

baja outlaw anchor lockers?

Notices

baja outlaw anchor lockers?

Old 02-16-2011, 10:41 AM
Registered

Location: Northern, KY (Cincinnati) Lake St Clair, MI Norris Lake, TN
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Good points Dock. I guess it depends where and how you boat. When I put my anchor back in the locker I take the slack out of the line and attach it to a front cleat. I initially did this to minimize it bouncing around. I guess it serves another purpose now too.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:50 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I manily boat ont he rivers, and lakes if i am jumping a 34 footer out of the water far enough to lose and anchor its not the anchors fault.

just my opionion
Old 02-16-2011, 11:03 AM
Registered

My 29 OL has one, but I only keep the rode in it, not the anchor. I use a large fortress anchor and it does not fit well in the locker, so I store below. I like the locker because I boat on the Ohio river and do not want the muddy, sandy stained rope in the cockpit. It makes enough of a mess on the front when I pull it all back in. I think Dock's way of putting out the anchor is a good one, but I use a rope/chain anchor rode and wouldn't want to chance scratching the boat when I dropped it off the side. Would work well with an all rope rode though.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:11 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

Buy a box anchor and be done with it...

The second you take your boat offshore and the anchor beats the hell out of the locker, you wont want an anchor locker anymore.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:33 AM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

100% agree with Dock,,,,, thats how we do it.

No way would I put and anchor up there even if I had a locker
Old 02-16-2011, 01:33 PM
Registered

I to use about 15 foot of chain.

how hard are you guys pounding you boats to be slamming the locker that hard?
Old 02-16-2011, 01:35 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by mittens
I manily boat ont he rivers, and lakes if i am jumping a 34 footer out of the water far enough to lose and anchor its not the anchors fault.

just my opionion

I agree mittens
I have had 3 Baja boats with anchor lockers and have never had the problems stated above. No I don't boat on the ocean but LOTO isn't the friendliest of lakes especially on a holiday weekend.
I might be worng but I bet the people that are having anchor locker nightmares are not securing there anchors.
When looking for a new boat (new to me) having an anchor locker is on the top 10 list. We all have different wants & needs but for me an anchor locker is a must.
Old 02-16-2011, 02:06 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It all depends on how/where you boat. If you have a 60-75mph boat, and you generally boat in calm water, they're probably useful. If you boat on open seas and you boat does 80mph+ they're probably a legitimate hazard. There's a reason why true high performance boats don't have them. If you have more of a pleasure boat, the trade-off for not having one is that stupid small storage locker in the cabin in front of the V-birth. It's more or less worthless. In that type of boat they make sense. For anything else, I agree with Doc, you're better off without it.

Regarding carrying the anchor from the bow to the cockpit... Why do it, regardless as to whether you have an anchor locker or not? I don't carry the "dirty anchor, line," etc. from the bow to the cockpit. That's dangerous and silly. It's much easier and much better to place the drivers seat where you want the anchor drop it down, hand over the rope to someone already on the bow, have them walk the line up to the front cleat as you move the boat back, set the anchor and relax. Reverse the process to leave. If someone ever pulled up a muddy anchor and let it drip across my bow as they walked it to the cockpit, I think I'd throw it hard into reverse and throw them and the anchor into the drink...
Old 02-16-2011, 02:31 PM
Registered

Default Anchor Locker

I agree with Redbud.I had a 06-35 with a Locker and loved it.It had latches for securing and there was no way your where going to have that thing come loose unless you didn't store it properly..I wished my 2 -36's had the lockers because I hated putting it under the back seat and yes it bounced around in the battery compartment which wasn't good..Just my opinion..
Old 02-16-2011, 05:11 PM
Custom Interiors & More

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Locker vs. No Locker

Originally Posted by wjb21ndtown
It all depends on how/where you boat. If you have a 60-75mph boat, and you generally boat in calm water, they're probably useful. If you boat on open seas and you boat does 80mph+ they're probably a legitimate hazard. There's a reason why true high performance boats don't have them. If you have more of a pleasure boat, the trade-off for not having one is that stupid small storage locker in the cabin in front of the V-birth. It's more or less worthless. In that type of boat they make sense. For anything else, I agree with Doc, you're better off without it.
So True!

The biggest reason that some Baja models had anchor lockers in the bow, and other did not was based on a meeting between Sales/Marketing/& Engineering during the early development of each model. This was always a hot topic during every one of those meetings based on some Baja dealers that asked for them, and others that did not. Liability was also a concern for both reasons (loose anchors/carrying them) but in the end, the war was won to have them because the design was improved.

If you have a model like the 272 and the anchor is loose, that compartment is going to get beat-up. Models like the 232, 252, 29ol, 302, & 342 are a little better with the hanging design. I do remember having a company 302 in a local poker run and seeing the anchor pop up through the lid about 1/3 exposed, and drop back in with the lid closing behind it. (scary!) In 2002 Baja added buckle straps over the top of the anchor placement to help hold them in. (photo attached) I suggest adding them if your boat is missing them.

The best design started with the 292 Islander, and can be found on the 30ol, 35ol, & 335. Better hold down method, access and everything. Just my opinion.

XT
Attached Thumbnails baja outlaw anchor lockers?-29-342_bumpers.jpg   baja outlaw anchor lockers?-29_ol_test_1.jpg   baja outlaw anchor lockers?-302_anc_strap.jpg  

baja outlaw anchor lockers?-teal_anchor_lid.jpg   baja outlaw anchor lockers?-feb09-04.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.