Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Baja
Talk to me about 24 outlaws >

Talk to me about 24 outlaws

Notices

Talk to me about 24 outlaws

Old 03-09-2011, 09:53 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love my 240 sport....same hull as the 24 outlaw..I run lake of the ozarks at 60 in 3-4 footers..I have alot of stuff done to mine though..it was rotten so the stringers were replaced, added 2 more stringers so it has 4 now, and 2 more bulk heads were added two, along with the top cap fiberglassed to the bottom core to make the boat ridged as can be, and all foam core, no more wood in the boat, and the transom was replaced and outdrive raised 3 inches. I have a 502 with some work done, but I run a 26 bravo 1 prop and run over 70..but I love the boat..its big enought to take cruiser wakes, and still easy to trailer..its gunna be hard to find a boat thats a 24 footer that would run and ride like mine..but ya it does chinewalk alittle bit..but you gotta drive through it, and it runs smooth..
Old 03-09-2011, 10:01 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

The speed will depend on what 454 you are talking about. The 330 should hit 56 and the Mag should hit about 60.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:37 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by stlliberator
I love my 240 sport....same hull as the 24 outlaw..I run lake of the ozarks at 60 in 3-4 footers..I have alot of stuff done to mine though..it was rotten so the stringers were replaced, added 2 more stringers so it has 4 now, and 2 more bulk heads were added two, along with the top cap fiberglassed to the bottom core to make the boat ridged as can be, and all foam core, no more wood in the boat, and the transom was replaced and outdrive raised 3 inches. I have a 502 with some work done, but I run a 26 bravo 1 prop and run over 70..but I love the boat..its big enought to take cruiser wakes, and still easy to trailer..its gunna be hard to find a boat thats a 24 footer that would run and ride like mine..but ya it does chinewalk alittle bit..but you gotta drive through it, and it runs smooth..
From what I recall yours is 'Trim'd Up' s old boat correct?

The rebuild sounds very familiar to what I had to do on mine, except I didn't go with coosa or glass the deck to the hull. Added extra stringers, bulkheads and cabin seats tho

The 502 will be next...

And jeffswav hit the nail on the head as far as speed.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:49 PM
Registered

I also concur that the 24 Outlaw/early 240 Sport (87-89) are great all-around boats. Nice deep V, high freeboard and decent weight make it a pretty good small boat. I run mine out on Lake Erie and have yet to run into any water that made me nervous. Granted, I'm not out there when it is Apache water either...

BUT you have to make sure you give them a good look-see prior to buying. After tearing mine apart and seeing the original construction/rot carnage, I will be a lot more diligent in inspecting any boat I buy in the future. I would be highly skeptical that any of them from the late 80's/early 90's are rot free, at least any that got any normal use.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:59 AM
Registered

there is a difference between the 240 sport and the 24 outlaw---the sport has a different dash completely and a glass winsheild and a wooden swin platform...the bottom half hull is slightly different and the weight is greater than the 24 Outlaw

i reached 72mph on gps w a 468ci w about 450-480hp...tried a 3 blade prop and boat felt like a turd...back to a 4 blade
Old 03-10-2011, 05:04 AM
Registered

24 outlaw... chine walk is there on mine too but smoothes out at speed w the keifenhalfler K-planes ...you learn to ease into the throttle smoothly and its not soo bad.

hard to beat thise boat for the $$ like they said you can trailer it yet it runs through the rough stuff like a champ safely!!!
Old 03-10-2011, 01:03 PM
Registered

i guess im confused on chine walk issues or missed something - you guys are referring to BIG HP right? Because there is 0 chine walk with stock power.

the only thing ive ever encountered was overheating/vapor locking. they make an additional mech fuel pump to add though to fix it. mine was still running hot, the previous owner had grenaded an impellar and did nothing but replace the old....all the rubber shards were restricting flow to the oil and fuel coolers. after figuring this out and flushing it thoroughly - problem solved.

do you have one in particular you are looking at? or just shopping 24OL's in general? 98 models made huge cuddy improvements!
Old 03-10-2011, 01:10 PM
Registered

oh yeah, replacing the swim platform is pricey - ive wanted to do it to mine for years but im just cant come off the $1500+ for the tubular type. my cheap solution was to order new purple and white Marble pattern foam that matches the boat. it was a pain scraping the old foam off and getting it prepped but well worth the time and effort.
Old 03-10-2011, 01:12 PM
Registered

im running 700 hp in my 24 ol with a raised x and shorty lower i see a little chine walk in the mid to upper 70s but if you hold it steady it will flaten out around 80
Old 03-10-2011, 01:24 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by baditude
im running 700 hp in my 24 ol with a raised x and shorty lower i see a little chine walk in the mid to upper 70s but if you hold it steady it will flaten out around 80
now thats gotta be a fun piece! have you upgraded your outdrive? a bravo1 is a time bomb on 700hp isnt it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.