Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Baja
is 23 outlaw with MAG really a 70mph boat? >

is 23 outlaw with MAG really a 70mph boat?

Notices

is 23 outlaw with MAG really a 70mph boat?

Old 05-15-2011, 06:01 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jeffswav
Maybe,down river with a 5MPH current,
ya i am with you jeff! tell them to go up river and see what they can do then????
Old 05-15-2011, 06:30 PM
Custom Interiors & More

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I believe it!

Been to Baja dealers "Demo Day's" events where I have driven a 23ol, then jumped into the same model year 25ol with same power but was 5 mph slower on top end! The 23 hull has a couple reasons that add speed. First it has 2 1/2 sets of strakes per side, it is 23 deg. deadrise vs. 24 deg. and it is lighter with less wetted surface drag.

Very fun model to drive, but do not raise the "X" dim too high, because it gets a little unsafe for most. The attached photos are of the very first 23 Outlaw with a VERY high "x". I remember that if you held the steering (solid) in a full throttle straight run, it would start a chine walk that progressed to the point of barrel rolling if you did not break the pattern with the wheel, or chopping the throttle. It was fast, but we could not sell that setup to the general public. Dropping the "x" to normal levels was much safer, and it did not really lose that much on top end.

XT
Attached Thumbnails is 23 outlaw with MAG really a 70mph boat?-im004276.jpg   is 23 outlaw with MAG really a 70mph boat?-starboard_profile.jpg   is 23 outlaw with MAG really a 70mph boat?-quick_turn_test.jpg  

Old 05-15-2011, 07:42 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by XT-Innovator
Been to Baja dealers "Demo Day's" events where I have driven a 23ol, then jumped into the same model year 25ol with same power but was 5 mph slower on top end! The 23 hull has a couple reasons that add speed. First it has 2 1/2 sets of strakes per side, it is 23 deg. deadrise vs. 24 deg. and it is lighter with less wetted surface drag.

Very fun model to drive, but do not raise the "X" dim too high, because it gets a little unsafe for most. The attached photos are of the very first 23 Outlaw with a VERY high "x". I remember that if you held the steering (solid) in a full throttle straight run, it would start a chine walk that progressed to the point of barrel rolling if you did not break the pattern with the wheel, or chopping the throttle. It was fast, but we could not sell that setup to the general public. Dropping the "x" to normal levels was much safer, and it did not really lose that much on top end.

XT
I just ran across the videos we took down at Mercurys X-Site with that boat. I put well over 100 hrs on that boat myself! Love it.
Old 05-15-2011, 07:44 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

I think you have an HO with the wrong engine cover. I've heard of it happening before. Check the serial numbers.
Old 05-16-2011, 12:13 PM
Registered

My brother had one andI got it to 70.9 GPS with a labbed 23 Mirage by BBlades. The thing was a bit of a handful at that speed though. It also had a weee bit more in it too...
Old 05-16-2011, 01:25 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Twin-Kyle
My brother had one andI got it to 70.9 GPS with a labbed 23 Mirage by BBlades. The thing was a bit of a handful at that speed though. It also had a weee bit more in it too...
3% slip?
Old 05-16-2011, 03:10 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

GPS? Are you positive? It's always nice when one runs better than it should, but having been in a 23 Outlaw with a MAG motor and it only running 65 with just me and a 1/2 tank of juice I have to question 70 mph pretty hard.
Old 05-16-2011, 03:27 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by jmeng
What all did he do? Labbed prop, maybe some hull blueprinting?
Whipple stage two. Running a 23 m + . It will run 69 on GPS.
Old 05-16-2011, 04:23 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dave M
3% slip?
Well it could have been 8% with a 1.36 gear @ 4800 rpm's, But dosen't the 496MAG make the most power @ 4700 rpm's? And where is the rev limiter on a 496MAG?

And with a 1,5 gear @ 4800 rpm's -2%. There it is, that magical negative slip again.

Sorry but I call on that one. Maybe on the trailer.
Old 05-16-2011, 04:28 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by JasonSmith
GPS? Are you positive? It's always nice when one runs better than it should, but having been in a 23 Outlaw with a MAG motor and it only running 65 with just me and a 1/2 tank of juice I have to question 70 mph pretty hard.
Yep...I was shocked too. My 25 Outlaw with the Mag runs 65 GPS (just me and light fuel load) with a labbed Mirage Plus from BBlades and he use to blow me away. I wish I had some wideo of it but I don't.

His had very light fuel load, below a 1/4 tank. I'm not a heavy guy either..I weight 145lbs. With that kind of load the 23 started to chine walk at that speed. I couldn't hold 70mph. I basically hit the number and had to back out of it...as I said in the other post, it still had a weee bit more too..Believe me or not, just telling what I saw.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.