Mildew stains on windshield frame >

Mildew stains on windshield frame

Notices

Mildew stains on windshield frame

Old 05-23-2011, 06:53 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mildew stains on windshield frame

Anybody else experience this? I bought the boat last year, and it had these mildew stains on the painted windshield frame. I've tried several cleaning solutions and polishing compound (mild abrasive), but nothing has really worked.

Rubbing compound maybe, or something more scientific?

On the mildew subject, what works well to remove small mildew specs in the cuddy, on the headliner, door bulkhead carpet, etc.?

J

Last edited by puzzleboy; 05-23-2011 at 06:56 PM. Reason: addition
Old 05-23-2011, 08:00 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The carpet is going to be tough, try this stuff called Blue Magic, you can get it at any decent auto store.

As for the windshield, try simple green and a magic eraser bar.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:14 PM
Registered

Location: Northern, KY (Cincinnati) Lake St Clair, MI Norris Lake, TN
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Magic eraser does really well on the vinyl. I'd try straight bleach on the windshield. I've never seen a painted frame on a Baja before. Is it just the top piece painted? Is it powder coated?

Try a mix of lemon juice and vinegar on the carpet. My parents said it worked on a moldy basement carpet a long time ago. When trying something new I always pick a small area out of sight to experiment on before "going to town".

Last edited by Baja_342; 05-23-2011 at 08:18 PM.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:26 PM
Registered

my 272 had a white painted frame as well! Nothing but problems.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:29 PM
Registered

Location: Northern, KY (Cincinnati) Lake St Clair, MI Norris Lake, TN
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SmurfOnABoat
my 272 had a white painted frame as well! Nothing but problems.
I had a Fountain with the white out package. Absolutely hated it. It would chip, show dirt like crazy, etc. Why take a surface that needs no maintenance and paint it????
Old 05-23-2011, 11:34 PM
Registered

Mine was bare aluminum on both my 272v and 302. I definately like the acrylic much better though.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:34 AM
Registered

It looks good, but yeah, a pain in the arse. I'll try the reccomendations, thanks!
Old 05-24-2011, 07:46 PM
Registered

For the carpet rent a rug doctor with the upholstery attachment. Use the upholstery attachment to clean your carpet. It may take a little time but it will look like new when complete.
Old 05-27-2011, 01:44 PM
Registered

Our old 275 had a painted windshield frame (same color). Looked beautiful when clean but did mildew and chip over time (touch up paint was like $50). I remember trying lots of things and I do remember simple green and magic eraser working (as long as you don't work too long on it and start taking off the paint). Also, I may have used something like a little bit of Tilex quickly on the worst spots that almost seemed embedded in the paint (once again as quick as you can is the name here before the paint gets damaged).
Old 05-27-2011, 06:27 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by puzzleboy
Anybody else experience this? I bought the boat last year, and it had these mildew stains on the painted windshield frame. I've tried several cleaning solutions and polishing compound (mild abrasive), but nothing has really worked.

Rubbing compound maybe, or something more scientific?

On the mildew subject, what works well to remove small mildew specs in the cuddy, on the headliner, door bulkhead carpet, etc.?

J
The best thing to use on what is in the picture would be a true steam cleaner, one that puts out 300*F+ and one with solution mixed in with it would even be better.

Regarding the smell... I would have a professional work on it. You have to first identify and remove the source, then you have to clean and properly treated or will keep coming back every time it gets damp. You are talking about having to clean everything in the cabin, headliner, storage, cushions and every other nook and cranny.

Just to give you an idea, several of the professional deoderizing products on the market go for around $100 a gallon. Every effective but not cheap.

http://www.jondon.com/catalog/produc...3ed10e81cd670d

The product that I would use for the carpet would be this if it is in fact mold and fungus...

http://www.jondon.com/catalog/produc...3ed10e81cd670d

With this product you need heat and a lot of vacuum.

Originally Posted by CoffIslander
For the carpet rent a rug doctor with the upholstery attachment. Use the upholstery attachment to clean your carpet. It may take a little time but it will look like new when complete.
To do it right I would not recommend this.

I hope this helped, if I lived near you I would try to assist you in this project. Good luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.