Need advice......Bummed >

Need advice......Bummed

Notices

Need advice......Bummed

Old 06-02-2011, 09:09 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chrsbaja
The boat is covered with the cockpit cover at all times when not in use. I have three coats of wax on it right now. I am checking on the lift tomorrow. If they allow a lift, what kind would you recommend? One of those inflatables?
I would get a full cover that covers the front and sides down to the chine. The graphics will fade fast if left out in the sun 24/7.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:10 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Me personally I'd have spent the $3500 on a used aluminum trailer...
Old 06-02-2011, 09:15 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

There might be lots of boats left in slips...but I bet they are mainly cruisers where bottom paint is expected.

Being a 10 year old boat now, it's going to loose about 10% per year, maybe a little less but close. Bottom painting is going to cut the value 50% of that. Reason is so few people will buy a bottom painted go-fast that someone who buys it will be figuring in the cost and aggravation of having the bottom restored.......but most will just keep looking for a boat that has never been bottom painted. Basically you'll never sell it, at any price.

A floating lift would be ideal, I have no experience with any of them.

BTW: Painted boats will chalk up in a year, gelcoat will do it in 90 days of exposure.

Last edited by t500hps; 06-02-2011 at 09:18 PM.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:17 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by jmeng
Me personally I'd have spent the $3500 on a used aluminum trailer...
Ditto.......
Old 06-02-2011, 09:19 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do have a full boat cover, i can use that. I plan on buying a boat trailer, but the idea of docking it is for ease. I have 4 young kids and trailering it and offloading etc will just be a PITA. The wife likes the thought of hanging out at the marina and not having to worry about trailering etc.. Wait till we try to sell it, she just might be regretting it later!
Maybe now just thinking about bottom paint and then soda basting it in a couple years. I dont know. very frustrated at this point.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:14 PM
Registered

Are you at marina bay. they allow lifts. that would be the best money spent at this point. very easy to use keeps the boat high and dry. check around someone has to be selling a used one. I`m with you on the ease of coming and going with the kids pita to tailer then get everyone in and out. I`m on the charles river so mine gets a good flushing after I come in from the harbor. I wax mine every month no bottom paint and no blisters sits in the water all summer half time on the river other half at lake winnie nh. great sand bars in plymouth and barnsable harbor you should check them out if you dont mind the ride a hour or so after logan.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:26 PM
Registered

Jeez $3500 for a slip and $400 everytime for in/out???

Did you look into any dry rack storage places around you? You could use your slip on the weekends and have it put in the rack during the week. Although if a slip is that expensive I'd hate to think of what dry racking would cost around where you are....

Like everybody else said, if you bottom paint it you'll have to give it away when you want to get rid of it. For what it costs you to have the marina pull it I'd learn to SCUBA and just clean the bottom off that way.
Old 06-03-2011, 05:29 AM
Registered

302 Boss- I am at HIngham Shipyard, going to call them this morning. I would have no problem hiring a scuba diver to wash my hull, I would pay for that every couple weeks, dont mind doing that, but its the point of leaving it in the water for the summer. If I do scrub it say every 2-3 weeks, I am still concerned about the blistering of the hull. Hell I would pay the 400 a month for the next 4 months to power wash it and wax it. If i did do that, you think I would still have problems for the summer? I think next summer I will find another place or perhaps even go to a place that will allow a lift if my marina doesnt.
I am not concerned about the salt and the engine, I have a flush kit installed and spend an hour or more cleaning the engine and everything else on the boat with salt a way.
Guys, if I leave it in the water and pull it every 4 weeks, what do you think? This is if I cannot get a lift for my marina. The 1600 dollars I spend during the summer would still be considerable less when I want to sell the boat. Hell I would pay 2500 at this point.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:07 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Sell or sublease the slip on Craigslist; or sell it back to the marina at a loss. Sell it for $3000 or whatever you can get for it.

You have to keep that boat on a trailer. Performance boats are not meant to be kept in the water. You need to wash the salt off of the entire boat and flush it after each use. Period. You can get away with leaving them in fresh water for a week or so before you see growth, but you still need to keep the boat on a trailer.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:09 AM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

4 kids and the desire to keep a boat in a slip.....sounds like you need a cruiser!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.