Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter

Thread: stringer drains

Registered
    My Boats:
    97 baja 322

stringer drains

while prepping my engine bay for my engines on my 97 322 i noticed the drains located at the end of the stringers where it meets the transom look to be nothing more then just holes drilled thru. I cant feel any glass on the top and 3 of the for have pockets which are full of crud. (ive pulled out the crud and everything is rock hard behind it)
    is this normal practice for drains?

im thinking of using 1" pvc pipe covered in 5200 to seal it up
    just the thought of water sloshing around in the summer then freezing in the winter is driving me nuts and now is the time to do something

any thoughts?

Registered
    My Boats:
    sold it now looking
    Mine were the same way on a smaller 232, i filled the pockets in with some resin. and coated anything that looked like it need sealing.

Registered
    My Boats:
    97 baja 322
    Quote Originally Posted by steveh1209 View Post
    Mine were the same way on a smaller 232, i filled the pockets in with some resin. and coated anything that looked like it need sealing.
    im just concerned with the getting the inside of the pocket clean enough to use resin. i figure i could get the ends clean and the pipe would keep water out.

Registered
    My Boats:
    Baja 24' Outlaw Marine Kinetics Build
    I installed drains in my 24 ol and i used pvc like u said but used resin to seal them in.

Registered
    My Boats:
    97 baja 322
    i ended up using 1 1/4" pvc pipe and the 5200 that size of pipe worked perfectly. it only took minor grinding to fit it

Registered
    My Boats:
    1999 Phantom SVL13 WE HAUL BOATS - 29 Mirage TEAM 5-31 WHOZ YOUR DADDY OFFSHORE RACING
    We are rerigging the race boat and what I did was fill in the old holes with wooden dowls coated with resign. Then went to west marine and got 2 of the brass thru holes they sell for bilge drains and seals around them with 4200.